Blount Reinstated

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

5$
Five Star Recruit

Re: Blount Reinstated

Post by 5$ »

It'd be cool if Blount worked to get on to some of the special teams, it would give him more chance for PT, which he might want since he's not had very much lately.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Welcome back Blount. It's a good game for him to come back, hopefully he can get a few carries.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I can see that I am the only one on this board that feels this is the wrong decision. I said before thatI felt Chip should stick with the original suspension and this is not about whether a person deserves or does not deserve reinstatement in my opinion it is about being held accountable for those actions and following through on suspension. When was said was for season I expected it to be as such. Some people have gone overboard and said will not cheer or route for the ducks because of this. I think they are overreacting. It is one person and not characteristic of the team the coach or the university. I do wholeheartedly disagree with Kelly on this and am sure many will jump on my back but as much as I disagree I still am glad Kelly is our coach because I think he is a very good coach even though disagree with him on this one aspect.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

I respect that you have a different take on it. I'm sure there are others that agree with you on this as well.

Do you think that all sports and other football teams in general are too light in their punishment for this type of thing? I think Blount's ultimate punishment was arguably more severe than what many other athletes got for similar or worse actions.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

You do realize that you are holding Chip and the university, as well as the PAC10 commissioner, to a higher standard than the courts of this country observe, right?

It's done. Get over it.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I can see that I am the only one on this board that feels this is the wrong decision. I said before thatI felt Chip should stick with the original suspension and this is not about whether a person deserves or does not deserve reinstatement in my opinion it is about being held accountable for those actions and following through on suspension. When was said was for season I expected it to be as such. Some people have gone overboard and said will not cheer or route for the ducks because of this. I think they are overreacting. It is one person and not characteristic of the team the coach or the university. I do wholeheartedly disagree with Kelly on this and am sure many will jump on my back but as much as I disagree I still am glad Kelly is our coach because I think he is a very good coach even though disagree with him on this one aspect.
I assume that the initial full season suspension was a test for LGB. He had no chance to ever play again and yet he stuck around, stayed in school and continued to help out his team by being on the practice squad. He could have easily just dropped out of school, got an agent and prepared for the draft. If he had a known date for return, he would have only proved that he was willing to do the right thing long enough to get back on to the field. Without that carrot dangling in front of him, he proved that he is a stand-up guy and thus earned a chance to return to the field.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Chip Kelly said the reason he initially suspended Blount for the full season was to see how he reacted. He said if he would have given him a certain number of game suspension he would not have learned anything because he knew he would eventually be back on the field and would have done what needed to be done solely for that reason. This way Blount didn't know he was going to be back yet he continued to practice, go to class and was apologetic and kept a positive attitude so and that was the reaction Kelly hoped he would get and therefore rewarded Blount by allowing him to come back and play. I am not sure how many coaches would have done the same thing, I think this was the best possible decision from beginning to end.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

Its also quite possible that LGB knew all along that there was a chance he could play again. This info wasnt made public for obvious reasons, but it could have been leaked to LG via a asst coach... I cant imagine the "leak" coming directly from CK to LG...

A coach could have said something along these lines, "You know LG, if you keep your nose clean, go to practice and attend class, who knows, maybe CK will consider a plan that gets you back on the team at some point in the season."

Just sayin...

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

uodux1212 wrote:Its also quite possible that LGB knew all along that there was a chance he could play again. This info wasnt made public for obvious reasons, but it could have been leaked to LG via a asst coach... I cant imagine the "leak" coming directly from CK to LG...

A coach could have said something along these lines, "You know LG, if you keep your nose clean, go to practice and attend class, who knows, maybe CK will consider a plan that gets you back on the team at some point in the season."

Just sayin...
I was thinking the same thing, so I have to agree with you, uodux1212. It may not have happened just like that, but LGB probably knew something was happening behind the scenes. But, that aside, we should be proud of him for his success and reaching the goals that CK set up for him.

Now let's see the same success out on the field during game time! GO DUCKS!

Notice the plane that we flew on?
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

goducks wrote:
uodux1212 wrote:Its also quite possible that LGB knew all along that there was a chance he could play again. This info wasnt made public for obvious reasons, but it could have been leaked to LG via a asst coach... I cant imagine the "leak" coming directly from CK to LG...

Just sayin...
I was thinking the same thing, so I have to agree with you, uodux1212. It may not have happened just like that, but LGB probably knew something was happening behind the scenes. But, that aside, we should be proud of him for his success and reaching the goals that CK set up for him.

Now let's see the same success out on the field during game time! GO DUCKS!
You may be right, but you have no actual evidence of this therefore it is all hearsay. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, so I will accept what Coach Kelly tells us.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

I don't think LGB was given anything except what has been the story all along. It would take alot of energy to try and remember who told what to whom and ensure LGB didn't leak anything, etc. Too much to keep track of, so I think we know everything there is to know about what went on. As far as I'm concerned, LGB deserves props for hanging in there and working his way back in. He was allowed to stay in school and be on the team so he could prepare for the combine. I give him major thumbs up for staying put and taking the heat.

I'm not sure why the media just thinks he'll walk onto the field and play. Just goes to prove that they know nothing about the complexity of our system and there is still no guarantee he will play. It's not a given.

What is given is this gift to LGB to move forward in his life and take the next step. My hat is off to Chip for helping the kid out.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

I wasnt trying to say there was a conspiracy going on with his reinstatement, just that their might have been some behind the scenes whispers as to a possible reinstatement (long before we the public heard about it). And Im not saying thats a bad thing! If it helped LGB stick around and not give up Im all for it. LGB is getting a lot of credit for "sticking around" and Im just saying that maybe he had a little bit of motivation that we never heard about.

I keep thinking about when I was a kid and would get in trouble with my parents, if I knew I was grounded for two months where's the motivation on trying to change my behavior? But if there was a chance that I could get released from my punishment early for "good behavior" then I was more apt to adhere to the ground rules of my punishment. There's a fine line though, long enough to make a lasting impression (7 games), but not so long as to make the kid give up (season)...

I dont know....

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

uodux1212 wrote:I wasnt trying to say there was a conspiracy going on with his reinstatement, just that their might have been some behind the scenes whispers as to a possible reinstatement (long before we the public heard about it). And Im not saying thats a bad thing! If it helped LGB stick around and not give up Im all for it. LGB is getting a lot of credit for "sticking around" and Im just saying that maybe he had a little bit of motivation that we never heard about.

I keep thinking about when I was a kid and would get in trouble with my parents, if I knew I was grounded for two months where's the motivation on trying to change my behavior? But if there was a chance that I could get released from my punishment early for "good behavior" then I was more apt to adhere to the ground rules of my punishment. There's a fine line though, long enough to make a lasting impression (7 games), but not so long as to make the kid give up (season)...

I dont know....
You could be right. Perhaps in LGB's mind there was hope since he wasn't given the total boot. I know if I was given a thread to hang hope onto, I would be more apt to hang tough or he knew he was given a major gift by being allowed to stay in school and work toward the combine as well as a degree. Since LGB had a new baby, I think he knew a gift when he saw one. I'm happy for him even if he doesn't carry the ball for us again. I admire people that don't give up. He deserves to play on Sundays.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Interesting that Belloti stated that the reason LGB was not reinstated for the Stanford game was to allow for posting of exam scores and term papers...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Someone had mentioned the fact of midterms last week, which I assumed would be a priority in his evaluation. So a delay was not surprising.
The Edwards interview with Clownzano was interesting to listen to, even though blatant and attitude biased questions were directed towards Edwards, he provided insightful analysis of his opinion why the plan was the best direction possible for Blount.

Whatever opinion it is an interesting interview worth the time, even if you cannot stand Clownzano. (Besides it's fun to listen to him owned)
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/orego ... dwar.html