USC over Oregon Answers from Voters

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Penky26
Four Star Recruit

USC over Oregon Answers from Voters

Post by Penky26 »

Does anyone have a link to the list of voters that said they would never rank Oregon over Boise State? I am interested in taking a look at home many of them have USC above Oregon.
Last edited by Penky26 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uodux1212
Senior

Re: Oregon Rankings question

Post by uodux1212 »

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

There are some terrible voters out there. I like how you can rate them good or bad. The guy that has Oregon 23 and USC 8. He had 50 bad votes to 1 good vote. What a douscher!
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

gofightingducks wrote:

There are some terrible voters out there. I like how you can rate them good or bad. The guy that has Oregon 23 and USC 8. He had 50 bad votes to 1 good vote. What a douscher!
He's either the highest or lowest (most extreme) voter in 6 of the 25 spots. Gimme a break... :roll:

midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

I wonder who is voting Ohio State to be ranked higher than USC even though the buckeyes were beat in the Horseshoe.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

midwestduck82 wrote:I wonder who is voting Ohio State to be ranked higher than USC even though the buckeyes were beat in the Horseshoe.
There are 60 voters...

26 have tOSU above USC.

30 have SC ahead by 1 or 2 spots.

4 have SC ahead by 3 or more spots.

http://pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollst ... =T&o1=diff

Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

Had a long lunch at work and took some time to forward an email to all of these voters simply looking for their explanation of their vote in terms of Oregon and USC alone. These are some responses I have already gotten. Im including how they ranked Oregon and USC before their explanation.

Bob Asmussen
USC 11 Oregon 21

Response:
Joe,

First, thanks for the email. And thanks for pointing out a mistake I made
in this week's poll. Normally, in fact, always, I try to reward teams for
wins against other teams. That being said, I should have left Oregon ahead
of Southern Cal and will fix the error this week.

I'm in my first year with the ballot and it is very, very difficult. At
times, I would like to remove myself. But a rule I have tried to follow
(obviously not in this case) is to keep a team that beat another team
ahead of that team. So, Southern Cal has to be ahead of Ohio State. And
Oregon should be ahead of Southern Cal.

I do take the job seriously and I did realize Southern Cal barely one.
Honestly, I fumbled this week. But I'll get it fixed.

Thanks again for pointing it out,

Bob

Desmond Conner
USC 8 Oregon 16

Response:
Thanks for the email Joe
Desmond

My Reply:
Any sort of justification or just blindly putting USC ahead cause of the school name? I would love to hear how a voter like yourself can come to this conclusion. I am sure you dont have one but I would love to hear it.

Response:
Thanks
Desmond

Angelique Chengelis
USC 9 Oregon 17

Response:
Joe

Driving home from ann arbor. Will email when i get home and hope to answer your points..
I do take seriously. Driving so more later

A

Paul Arnett
USC 8 Oregon 16

Response:
Thanks for your thoughts. But as I look at all the polls, they all have USC ranked above Oregon. AP has USC ranked 11th, Oregon 14th. And the coach's have it 10 and 16. The Harris Poll has USC ranked 10th and Oregon 14th. The BCS ratings have it nine and 13. If I recall, Oregon barely beat Purdue, didn't have a first down until the second half against Boise State, struggled at home with Utah and lost to an unranked Stanford team. Both of USC's losses were on the road against unranked Washington and Oregon. And while this isn't a powerhouse USC team, they do have good wins over Ohio State on the road and Notre Dame on the road. In fact, they've played six of nine games on the road, which is tough in and of itself. Both teams hammered Cal. I also have a feeling Oregon State is going to give the Ducks everything they can handle.
So, by your own observation, all of the voters in America are a joke since most voted the same way I did, including the computers.

Aloha,

Paul Arnett

Travis Haney
USC 10 Oregon 16

Response:
It all evens out in the end. I take my vote very seriously.

Probably will have more since the emails have only been out for an hour.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

uodux1212 wrote:
midwestduck82 wrote:I wonder who is voting Ohio State to be ranked higher than USC even though the buckeyes were beat in the Horseshoe.
There are 60 voters...

26 have tOSU above USC.

30 have SC ahead by 1 or 2 spots.

4 have SC ahead by 3 or more spots.

http://pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollst ... =T&o1=diff
Conversely...

Out of 60 voters...

37 have us ranked higher than SC
23 have SC ranked higher than us
1 guy has SC ranked 15 spots higher. Sure pal.

uodux1212
Senior

Re: USC over Oregon Answers from Voters

Post by uodux1212 »

And thanks for pointing out a mistake I made
in this week's poll.
Normally, in fact, always, I try to reward teams for
wins against other teams. That being said, I should have left Oregon ahead
of Southern Cal and will fix the error this week.

I'm in my first year with the ballot and it is very, very difficult. At
times, I would like to remove myself. But a rule I have tried to follow
(obviously not in this case) is to keep a team that beat another team
ahead of that team. So, Southern Cal has to be ahead of Ohio State. And
Oregon should be ahead of Southern Cal.
I wonder how often this happens? I made a mistake? BTW, there are millions of dollars at stake in the voting polls... maybe they should be more careful in who they give ballots to... I understand the media polls dont count in the BCS, but its perception... if they dont count why even have them?!? Because they DO count, in their own little weird messed up way...

Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

Im not as concerned about those who make a mistake but rather those who dont care to justify why they did it.
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

another response,

John Clay, who had USC four spots ahead of Oregon

Joe,

First of all, I'm guessing you're an Oregon fan.

But you're right. I did make a mistake. I should have voted Stanford ahead of the Ducks. After all, Stanford beat the Ducks rather convincingly. Wasn't it 31-14 at the half? Wasn't it 48-28 early in the fourth quarter? Didn't Toby Gerhart rush for 225 yards on the Oregon defense?

I may be overrating Southern Cal a bit. The loss at Washington was under unusual circumstances. They got caught in a blizzard at Oregon. As for the Arizona State game, I put very, very little credence in margin of victory. The object is to win the game, not by how much. I think Florida is the best team in the country, and I didn't drop the Gators to No. 2 just because they only beat Arkansas by 3 points.

By the way, Sagarin has USC 8th, just two spots behind Oregon.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion. But the "You are the exact reason why the college football rankings are such a joke," is a little uncalled for, don't you think. And do you really think I should have my vote re-voked? This is all a matter of opinion, no hard and concrete rules. You might think one thing. I might think another. That's the way it goes.

Regards,
John
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

Steve Campbell, has USC four spots ahead

Is it possible I have USC and Oregon out of place? Sure, and I'll keep looking at it -- as I do every week. In USC's favor: road wins against Ohio State, Notre Dame, Cal. Oregon's best wins (Utah, Cal, USC) have been at home. And the Boise loss on hte road was a pretty thorough whipping, score notwithstanding. Oregon kicked USC's butt in the head-to-head, no doubt; I had Oregon ranked head of USC after that. But one head-to-head game doesn't outweigh the work of an entire season.

In other words, I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as you suggest. The computers have Oregon at 10, USC at 11. Given all that, it seems to me you're flying off the handle a little bit because you don't like how I've ranked these two teams. Seems to me like reasonable minds could differ on which is the better team.

I'll continue to evaluate things as the season unfolds; USC doesn't have a season pass to stay ahead because it's USC, contrary to what you might think.

Steve Campbell
Houston Chronicle
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

Penky26 wrote:But one head-to-head game doesn't outweigh the work of an entire season.
But somehow it did when BSU was ahead of the Ducks ... weird.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

Paul Arnett may try to justify his voting by telling us the downfalls of the early part of the season but he still ranked Ohio State 9th after losing to Purdue, squeaking by Navy, and only beating the "non-powerhouse like USC" by 3 in their own stadium.

They can try to justify their positions but most of their votes are for tradition, ratings, personal allegiances, and the lack of knowledge gained from watching a full game or season. Most of these people don't even watch 85% of the teams that they are evaluating.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Funny how the coaches consider USC beating Notre Dame a "huge win", especially after they lost to Navy. It's also funny how they can say Oregon got crushed at Stanford, but completely dismiss the fact that USC lost to Washington and got destroyed by the ducks. I don't give a damn if it was at home. These guys are a joke.