USC over Oregon Answers from Voters

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Re: USC over Oregon Answers from Voters

Post by Penky26 »

Pete Deprimio, USC 4 spots ahead of Oregon

Response:

Joe, thanks for your comments. Reasonable people can disagree. I do take the voting seriously.
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

Travis Haney. USC 6 spots ahead of Oregon

I assure you that I take this vote very seriously and with pride. I don't simply sleepwalk through the poll, nor do I favor certain teams by name recognition or conference bias.

I put USC and Oregon where I did because of three things.

1) Where I had them the previous week.

2) What happened to them this past Saturday. One lost, one won.

3) What the teams around them did, forcing some to fall and some to rise.

That's it. It is an opinion poll, based on a multitude of criteria. And everyone's opinion is independent.

I appreciate that people are passionate enough to care this much about college football. And I certainly don't think I'm above reproach. But I don't understand nor appreciate your tone about it all. I promise you that I do the best I can at what I do. I am far from perfect, but I strive to be fair and treat people with respect in my professional world.

-- Th

Travis Haney
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

I can appreciate some of their responses but a couple of those guys should not get to vote....and why voting/polls should not be involved in sports!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Penky26 wrote:Travis Haney. USC 6 spots ahead of Oregon

I assure you that I take this vote very seriously and with pride. I don't simply sleepwalk through the poll, nor do I favor certain teams by name recognition or conference bias.

I put USC and Oregon where I did because of three things.

1) Where I had them the previous week.

2) What happened to them this past Saturday. One lost, one won.

3) What the teams around them did, forcing some to fall and some to rise.

That's it. It is an opinion poll, based on a multitude of criteria. And everyone's opinion is independent.

I appreciate that people are passionate enough to care this much about college football. And I certainly don't think I'm above reproach. But I don't understand nor appreciate your tone about it all. I promise you that I do the best I can at what I do. I am far from perfect, but I strive to be fair and treat people with respect in my professional world.

-- Th

Travis Haney

His logic makes no sense.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

Penky26 wrote:another response,

John Clay, who had USC four spots ahead of Oregon

Joe,

I may be overrating Southern Cal a bit. The loss at Washington was under unusual circumstances. They got caught in a blizzard at Oregon. As for the Arizona State game, I put very, very little credence in margin of victory.

Regards,
John
This makes no sense... sounds like he's just justifying their losses... he admits he's over ranking USC, but does it anyway?!? How does that make any sense at all? Why was their loss under unusual circumstances?!? Because the coaching staff? Then USC got caught in a blizzard at Oregon? What??! You could use the exact same logic for each of Oregon's two losses. BSU game was under unusual circumstances (first game head coach, on the road, green OL) and we def ran into a buzz saw at Stanford.

Whatever... :roll:

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I'm really impressed that someone admitted they made a mistake. Props to him.

Thanks for writing those e-mails, but you might try being a little bit less aggressive in your e-mails. These guys are human just like everyone else and are prone to making mistakes. Putting them on the defensive and insulting them is immature and a bad way to get anywhere with your arguments.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Wow. They're all over the place. Some think of it like power rankings. Several made "mistakes". Some just don't even know what they're talking about.

It's unbelievable that so much hangs on the whims of these people. No offense to them. They're just doing a job. It just shows how rankings shouldn't be determined this way at all.

It does sound like you were a little over-board in tone, calling them out. You probably could have gotten better information from more of them by being more matter-of-fact rather than calling them a joke.

What was up with the guy claiming that the computers put USC ahead of Oregon? Does he not even look at the computer results?
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Appreciate your effort, interesting responses which many did appear to be defensive. IMO this just validates how pointless and biased the setup is, and best response, the west coast ought to boycott the BCS championship game. If very few households watched they might catch the drift.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Penky26 wrote:another response,

John Clay, who had USC four spots ahead of Oregon

Joe,

First of all, I'm guessing you're an Oregon fan.

But you're right. I did make a mistake. I should have voted Stanford ahead of the Ducks. After all, Stanford beat the Ducks rather convincingly. Wasn't it 31-14 at the half? Wasn't it 48-28 early in the fourth quarter? Didn't Toby Gerhart rush for 225 yards on the Oregon defense?

I may be overrating Southern Cal a bit. The loss at Washington was under unusual circumstances. They got caught in a blizzard at Oregon. As for the Arizona State game, I put very, very little credence in margin of victory. The object is to win the game, not by how much. I think Florida is the best team in the country, and I didn't drop the Gators to No. 2 just because they only beat Arkansas by 3 points.

By the way, Sagarin has USC 8th, just two spots behind Oregon.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion. But the "You are the exact reason why the college football rankings are such a joke," is a little uncalled for, don't you think. And do you really think I should have my vote re-voked? This is all a matter of opinion, no hard and concrete rules. You might think one thing. I might think another. That's the way it goes.

Regards,
John
So USC's loss to Washington as under unusual circumstances, but our win over a top 15 Utah team and a 2 point win over Purdue wasn't under unusual circumstances without our starting RB and with all that happened to us against Boise? And tell him Purdue beat tOSU. USC beat tOSU. Oregon beat USC. Therefore by his retarded logic, we are by far better than USC and tOSU.

This guy is a complete dumbass. Logic has completely lost it's way in this world, it's unbelievable.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Also penky, you should include this link in your emails to the stupid voters:
http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives ... wi-25.html

Maybe since they only listen to Petey, they'll finally start understanding how dumb they are.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

That was the surprising part to me was how many got offended by me even questioning the rankings. Here is my email which the only things that changed was the ranking numbers that they used.

First let me say I usually enjoy your writing but have to say your recent Top 25 really leaves me scratching my head. I specifically am looking at the way you ranked two teams, Oregon and USC. Oregon and USC are both 7-2, Oregon has lost to your #6 at their house, Boise State and too your #22 at their house, Stanford. USC lost to an unranked Washington on the road and got destroyed by Oregon on the road. The problem for me is Oregon beat USC less then 10 days ago and you already have USC ranked 14 spots ahead of them. How can you possibly justify this. Cant be that USC's two losses are better then Oregon's, cannot be that USC rebounded this week and put a dominating effort in, actually the barely escaped their third loss against a down Arizona State team, and it certainly cant be that they played Oregon tough and you think it may have been a different outcome if it had been at USC. This is the exact reason why the college football rankings are appearing questionable. Did you watch to see how USC did this past week or did you just figure that a 7-2 USC team deserved to be in the top 10? Either way I hope that you are able to help me understand how you came to your conclusion

Regards

Joe
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Maybe he thought that USC was caught in a literal blizzard in Oregon. ;)
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Penky26 wrote:That was the surprising part to me was how many got offended by me even questioning the rankings. Here is my email which the only things that changed was the ranking numbers that they used.

First let me say I usually enjoy your writing but have to say your recent Top 25 really leaves me scratching my head. I specifically am looking at the way you ranked two teams, Oregon and USC. Oregon and USC are both 7-2, Oregon has lost to your #6 at their house, Boise State and too your #22 at their house, Stanford. USC lost to an unranked Washington on the road and got destroyed by Oregon on the road. The problem for me is Oregon beat USC less then 10 days ago and you already have USC ranked 14 spots ahead of them. How can you possibly justify this. Cant be that USC's two losses are better then Oregon's, cannot be that USC rebounded this week and put a dominating effort in, actually the barely escaped their third loss against a down Arizona State team, and it certainly cant be that they played Oregon tough and you think it may have been a different outcome if it had been at USC. This is the exact reason why the college football rankings are appearing questionable. Did you watch to see how USC did this past week or did you just figure that a 7-2 USC team deserved to be in the top 10? Either way I hope that you are able to help me understand how you came to your conclusion

Regards

Joe
Oh. I take back what I said about your e-mail then. That's completely fine. I don't understand why so many of them were getting offended. Nice job penky.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Penky26 wrote:That was the surprising part to me was how many got offended by me even questioning the rankings. Here is my email which the only things that changed was the ranking numbers that they used.

Regards

Joe
Interesting. Why did this guy seem to quote you as saying "You are the exact reason why the college football rankings are such a joke," or that you thought their voting rights should be re-voked?
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

Here is finally a voter that took what I said at face value instead of getting offended

Angelique Chengelis, had USC eight spots ahead of Oregon

Joe
OK....not driving and done filing a couple things.....

First, I don't think there's an exact science to voting, I don't think there should
be a poll until mid-October...
Early in the season, I do look at so and so beat so and so and rank accordingly.
But after that......for instance, last week I launched Oregon to No. 4 because at
that time, I really thought the Ducks were....well, let's just say I said on the radio
that I started to think Oregon and Texas might be the two best teams in the country
(hence the need for a playoff)....so at this point, I'm not really focused on, well, Oregon
lost to Boise State and Oregon only barely beat Purdue, blah, blah....
Because I thought Oregon was soooo good last week (my perception....and, clearly,
flawed after watching the Ducks lose to Stanford), I maybe penalized them too much
for that loss......

You are probably right re: USC...I was too generous.....I do read the local coverage of
as many teams as I can before voting....and of course I try to watch the highlight shows...

I really do try to do what I believe is a fair job.....I told my husband last week that
(he's an Ohio State alum) that I'm not going to always keep USC ahead of OSU
just because of the early season win....i really do believe after mid-October, the teams
should be evaluated from that point on...

I hope I make some sense.

Thanks for the email and the kind opening remark.....I appreciated your entire
message...

angelique

My response

Dont you think that with the way things are now, with Oregon and USC having the same record and a head to head matchup to go off of that Oregon should have the advantage? The major issue wasnt that you had them ranked 11 and 12 but instead had USC 8 spots up on them. I am just a frustrated college fan and cant understand the mindset.

Response:
Hmmmmm
How about this: im a girl and im told we dont understand logic.....
Only half kidding
Im giving this one to you......i believe you are correct -- i overvalued usc's win and probably demoted oregon far too much (in relation to usc)