USC over Oregon Answers from Voters

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: USC over Oregon Answers from Voters

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Wow Penky doing work. He's already got a couple rethinking their picks. Haha awesome!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

wheaton4prez wrote:
Penky26 wrote:That was the surprising part to me was how many got offended by me even questioning the rankings. Here is my email which the only things that changed was the ranking numbers that they used.

First let me say I usually enjoy your writing but have to say your recent Top 25 really leaves me scratching my head. I specifically am looking at the way you ranked two teams, Oregon and USC. Oregon and USC are both 7-2, Oregon has lost to your #6 at their house, Boise State and too your #22 at their house, Stanford. USC lost to an unranked Washington on the road and got destroyed by Oregon on the road. The problem for me is Oregon beat USC less then 10 days ago and you already have USC ranked 14 spots ahead of them. How can you possibly justify this. Cant be that USC's two losses are better then Oregon's, cannot be that USC rebounded this week and put a dominating effort in, actually the barely escaped their third loss against a down Arizona State team, and it certainly cant be that they played Oregon tough and you think it may have been a different outcome if it had been at USC. This is the exact reason why the college football rankings are appearing questionable. Did you watch to see how USC did this past week or did you just figure that a 7-2 USC team deserved to be in the top 10? Either way I hope that you are able to help me understand how you came to your conclusion

Regards

Joe

Interesting. Why did this guy seem to quote you as saying "You are the exact reason why the college football rankings are such a joke," or that you thought their voting rights should be re-voked?

His first response to my email was that he didnt have time for this and my response was this is why the rankings are a joke
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Wow Penky doing work. He's already got a couple rethinking their picks. Haha awesome!
Isn't that amazing in and of itself? Which bowl game and how much money a conference gets hinges on these votes and a couple emails reveal and persuade one of the voters that they just messed up (because they are a girl?!) and now they will fix it?

How many times has this happened with other voters? Are bribes accepted at times?

Unbelievable.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Penky26 wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:
Penky26 wrote:That was the surprising part to me was how many got offended by me even questioning the rankings. Here is my email which the only things that changed was the ranking numbers that they used.

First let me say I usually enjoy your writing but have to say your recent Top 25 really leaves me scratching my head. I specifically am looking at the way you ranked two teams, Oregon and USC. Oregon and USC are both 7-2, Oregon has lost to your #6 at their house, Boise State and too your #22 at their house, Stanford. USC lost to an unranked Washington on the road and got destroyed by Oregon on the road. The problem for me is Oregon beat USC less then 10 days ago and you already have USC ranked 14 spots ahead of them. How can you possibly justify this. Cant be that USC's two losses are better then Oregon's, cannot be that USC rebounded this week and put a dominating effort in, actually the barely escaped their third loss against a down Arizona State team, and it certainly cant be that they played Oregon tough and you think it may have been a different outcome if it had been at USC. This is the exact reason why the college football rankings are appearing questionable. Did you watch to see how USC did this past week or did you just figure that a 7-2 USC team deserved to be in the top 10? Either way I hope that you are able to help me understand how you came to your conclusion

Regards

Joe

Interesting. Why did this guy seem to quote you as saying "You are the exact reason why the college football rankings are such a joke," or that you thought their voting rights should be re-voked?

His first response to my email was that he didnt have time for this and my response was this is why the rankings are a joke
I see. Heh. Well. I guess the guy had to be insulted before he would defend his position.
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

Overall I know that the rankings for a two loss Oregon team doesnt matter. If they take care of business they are in the Rose Bowl, but some of these rankings could not be taken seriously. Then too go all day and see analyst after analyst question it too made me send out these emails. I am amazed at a few things. First the overall admittance of making a mistake and that it should have been corrected. Secondly, voters just refusing to even explain their thought process. Lastly, those who did defend it either did a bad job and stated facts that were false or those who were appaueld that I would even question them.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Very interesting stuff Penky(or Joe).
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

What a joke, these people art the reason why Oregon was screwed out of the NC in 2001 and a BCS bowl in 2005 and why many other teams get screwed out of better bowl games. There really needs to be something better put in place.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

What a bunch of freaking D-bags. Holy crap, their bias is astounding.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

Nice work Penky. I too assumed your Email must have been too aggressive until I read it. Sounds like the one guy just had his undies in a bunch.

The thing that just really irks me (as everyone else) is how some teams have to work so much harder in the rankings than others. I don't think it's an Oregon bias, I think it's because USC has ruled the roost for so long. If any other Pac-10 team (and to a lesser extent, I think an ACC team as well) did the exact same thing, same result. It's the system we have. It sucks for us. It doesn't suck for the SEC, Texas, Oklahoma, tOSU, Penn St. and USC.

I think the new commissioner will do an excellent job in helping fix this bias. But until then, as crappy as it is, we just have to suck it up and keep hoping the Ducks win and the Pac-10 tears up other conferences.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The BCS was originally designed around the ACC/SEC/Big 12... The Big10 and the PAC10 were added because the original members lusted after the "Grandaddy of them All": the Rose Bowl
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

monster
Four Star Recruit

Post by monster »

Penky26, on behalf of the board, we think you should send some follow-up e-mails. 8-)
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

USC shouldn't be ranked.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

monster wrote:Penky26, on behalf of the board, we think you should send some follow-up e-mails. 8-)
I second that! ;)

Notice the plane that we flew on?
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Re: Oregon Rankings question

Post by addictedtoquack »

Penky26 wrote:Had a long lunch at work and took some time to forward an email to all of these voters simply looking for their explanation of their vote in terms of Oregon and USC alone. These are some responses I have already gotten. Im including how they ranked Oregon and USC before their explanation.

Bob Asmussen
USC 11 Oregon 21

Response:
Joe,

First, thanks for the email. And thanks for pointing out a mistake I made
in this week's poll. Normally, in fact, always, I try to reward teams for
wins against other teams. That being said, I should have left Oregon ahead
of Southern Cal and will fix the error this week.

I'm in my first year with the ballot and it is very, very difficult. At
times, I would like to remove myself. But a rule I have tried to follow
(obviously not in this case) is to keep a team that beat another team
ahead of that team. So, Southern Cal has to be ahead of Ohio State. And
Oregon should be ahead of Southern Cal.

I do take the job seriously and I did realize Southern Cal barely one.
Honestly, I fumbled this week. But I'll get it fixed.

Thanks again for pointing it out,

Bob

Desmond Conner
USC 8 Oregon 16

Response:
Thanks for the email Joe
Desmond

My Reply:
Any sort of justification or just blindly putting USC ahead cause of the school name? I would love to hear how a voter like yourself can come to this conclusion. I am sure you dont have one but I would love to hear it.

Response:
Thanks
Desmond

Angelique Chengelis
USC 9 Oregon 17

Response:
Joe

Driving home from ann arbor. Will email when i get home and hope to answer your points..
I do take seriously. Driving so more later

A

Paul Arnett
USC 8 Oregon 16

Response:
Thanks for your thoughts. But as I look at all the polls, they all have USC ranked above Oregon. AP has USC ranked 11th, Oregon 14th. And the coach's have it 10 and 16. The Harris Poll has USC ranked 10th and Oregon 14th. The BCS ratings have it nine and 13. If I recall, Oregon barely beat Purdue, didn't have a first down until the second half against Boise State, struggled at home with Utah and lost to an unranked Stanford team. Both of USC's losses were on the road against unranked Washington and Oregon. And while this isn't a powerhouse USC team, they do have good wins over Ohio State on the road and Notre Dame on the road. In fact, they've played six of nine games on the road, which is tough in and of itself. Both teams hammered Cal. I also have a feeling Oregon State is going to give the Ducks everything they can handle.
So, by your own observation, all of the voters in America are a joke since most voted the same way I did, including the computers.

Aloha,

Paul Arnett

Travis Haney
USC 10 Oregon 16

Response:
It all evens out in the end. I take my vote very seriously.

Probably will have more since the emails have only been out for an hour.

I like Paul Arnett, insinuating that he is ranking the ducks lower because he has a "feeling' they will have trouble against OSU. Really? I have a "feeling" Florida will have trouble against Alabama does that mean they should get ranked lower, f*** no... what a retard, he needs to be punched in the face, LGB style.