Next Duck Coach: DAN LANNING

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Re: Next Duck Coach: DAN LANNING

Post by Zyme »

greenyellow wrote:Lanning's contract is out and it's in line with Cristobal was making during much of his time at Oregon.
If my math is right with incentives his max salary is 8.15 mil in his last year.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Zyme wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Lanning's contract is out and it's in line with Cristobal was making during much of his time at Oregon.
If my math is right with incentives his max salary is 8.15 mil in his last year.
I only see about 6.7-6.8 max.

I get he's a new coach, but I feel like contracts like this are what open the doors for coaches to leave in a few years. Obviously it can be redone, but why are we paying the 5th highest in the Pac and 27th in the nation? We should be paying top 15 in the nation if we consider ourselves a top 15 program. Or at least increase these incentives so there's a chance to get into the top 15.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The contract is this low to start because he's a first-time HC. If he does well, he'll get it renegotiated like nearly every coach does.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

bellsduck wrote:
Zyme wrote:

I get he's a new coach, but I feel like contracts like this are what open the doors for coaches to leave in a few years. Obviously it can be redone, but why are we paying the 5th highest in the Pac and 27th in the nation? We should be paying top 15 in the nation if we consider ourselves a top 15 program. Or at least increase these incentives so there's a chance to get into the top 15.
did you factor in that all of the incentives are cumulative? 200k per every win above 9. Based on last year of contract and all possible bonuses tripped (not including the 13 win season option if you went to Hawai'i that would max it to 8 in the last year). The thing I'm not enthusiastic is the reported buyout. Scales down hard after 2023
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Zyme wrote:
bellsduck wrote:
Zyme wrote:

did you factor in that all of the incentives are cumulative? 200k per every win above 9. Based on last year of contract and all possible bonuses tripped (not including the 13 win season option if you went to Hawai'i that would max it to 8 in the last year). The thing I'm not enthusiastic is the reported buyout. Scales down hard after 2023
If I’m not mistaken, the buyout also equals the amount we have to pay to fire him. A buyout going down is a good thing if he’s not successful. If he is successful, we’ll give him an extension with a new increased buyout.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

nogerO wrote:
rockthief wrote:
Kimber45 wrote:Love the hire.

Dude read his first head coaching job presser speech like he was taking over a 2-10 Toledo program rather than a 10-3 Oregon Ducks program. Coach Cristobal left the talent cupboard full even with players leaving for early entry to the NFL.

With good staffing choices and an ability to snuff out any prima donna culture that may exist among the players the Oregon job is a wet dream for a first time head coach.

Except that the job is in Eugene, State of Oregon.

Miami is an objectively a better place to live unfortunately.
Nah. Oregon is stunningly beautiful. I cannot imagine living elsewhere.
Nobody is disputing the natural beauty of the state. It's the rest of the baggage that turns people off... :shock:

Thank you for picking up what I was putting down.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

This is not related to Dan Lanning at all but I just remembered all those weird "Urban Meyer to Oregon" rumors.

Well, guess what, he got fired from Jacksonville 5 hours ago, but at least we got our own better coach.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

I have to admit that I was tolerant of hiring UM, but am now relieved. He would have elevated everything regarding football and make strides toward a natty. However, I agree with the posters that pointed at his baggage that it would've felt like selling your soul for a championship, and who knows how long his tenure would've lasted. Lanning seems to be able to get us there and it will be fun to watch with all the young up and coming coaches he's aimed at bringing here. I'm looking forward to the journey...Go Ducks!
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I agree Autzen. I’m excited about Lanning’s potential. Now if Wilcox was the hire, I think I’d be screaming at the sky when I heard Urban became available.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I think the two are completely related. I do believe Oregon inquired, which was going to save Jacksonville and Meyer the embarrassment, not to mention the buyout, I also believe it was probably agreed upon to be announced after the game on Sunday, then "the letter" was sent forcing Mullins hand and as others have pointed out, the boosters were concerned about the history/baggage of Meyers and everyone agreed to pass on Meyers and select Lanning. Just my opinion.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

QuackininBama wrote:I think the two are completely related. I do believe Oregon inquired, which was going to save Jacksonville and Meyer the embarrassment, not to mention the buyout, I also believe it was probably agreed upon to be announced after the game on Sunday, then "the letter" was sent forcing Mullins hand and as others have pointed out, the boosters were concerned about the history/baggage of Meyers and everyone agreed to pass on Meyers and select Lanning. Just my opinion.
Oregon did not inquire about Meyer. THat comes from a very well placed person in the AD. The Board of Trustees made very clear that they would not approve in any way, shape or form the hiring of Meyer. Thus no inquiries were made.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

lmduck wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:I think the two are completely related. I do believe Oregon inquired, which was going to save Jacksonville and Meyer the embarrassment, not to mention the buyout, I also believe it was probably agreed upon to be announced after the game on Sunday, then "the letter" was sent forcing Mullins hand and as others have pointed out, the boosters were concerned about the history/baggage of Meyers and everyone agreed to pass on Meyers and select Lanning. Just my opinion.
Oregon did not inquire about Meyer. THat comes from a very well placed person in the AD. The Board of Trustees made very clear that they would not approve in any way, shape or form the hiring of Meyer. Thus no inquiries were made.
And the letter was sent at the very start of the coaching search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

He certainly understands the power of Oregon's national brand.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

Hopefully Lanning is feeding the Georgia players cookies and donuts and encouraging them to go ahead and take it easy in the off season.

Half joking. What is the Georgia game? About 250 days away?