Post by pezsez1 »

Yet you guys are more than happy to walk into this exact situation
Huh? Where did that come from?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by ducks5ever »

Anyone who said that we should accept $30MM a year so that the conference can stay together. Im going to lose it if you say you weren't one of those people
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Anyone who said that we should accept $30MM a year so that the conference can stay together. Im going to lose it if you say you weren't one of those people
I said that was the most likely outcome during that year-long stretch when the Pac-12 presidents were trying to hold things together and there was no sign of an invite from the B1G. Never once said that was the best-possible outcome. Definitely never said I'd be "beyond happy."

I thought the Pac would hold it together for one more media cycle before breaking apart. Would I have liked to see the Pac find a way forward if it could stay competitive financially? Sure, I think many here would have. But clearly that didn't happen. Even $30 mil/year would have just been a band-aid, which is why I didn't expect it to last beyond one more media cycle.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:ESPN DID make that offer to the Pac-12 a year ago, didn't they? But the commissioner turned it down and asked for like $50 million per team?

The presidents that you seem to believe wanted to hold this together, said no. He just delivered the message. He told them to take the deal. But someone convinced idiots like OS and Stanford they would get 50m.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Not that I really need to cite a source, but I imagine Wazzu/OSU to Mountain West will happen soon.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Man, that is so harsh to have the Cougs and Beavs go to the MWC. I feel less sorry for Wazzu after they fired that coach who was doing really well because they just couldn't handle him not having the jab. Stupid firing at a terrible time. The Beavs, on the other hand, have really been trying to get better, and this is probably going to blow a hole in that. Bummer.

Edit: There are still rumors that the Pac 2 is trying to hold together and add. They are apparently bolstered by the promise of quite a tidy sum for various postseason payments in football and basketball in the next few years that belong to the conference rather than individual schools. Interesting if true. Maybe they can compel the MWC at least to do a merger.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

Need 9 from MWC for teams to move w/o buyout
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Cal and Stanford could have a new home by tonight. Edit: Meeting has been postponed due to incident on UNC campus today.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Sounds like Stanford and Cal are taking an unbelievably bad deal just to attach themselves to a conference. A decade or more of fractional revenue coupled with possibly the worst travel schedule in the country.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:Sounds like Stanford and Cal are taking an unbelievably bad deal just to attach themselves to a conference. A decade or more of fractional revenue coupled with possibly the worst travel schedule in the country.
I'm going to laugh my butt off if in 5 years time when the League Champs of the B1G, Big 12, ACC and Mountain West are Oregon, Utah, Stanford and Oregon State and everyone's asking what happened to the Pac?
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

My question is if/when the Bark rats go to the MWC how bad is their financial situation going to be. They just spent a large amount on stadium renovations, paying coaches and supporting staff P5 salaries. How much trouble are they in. WSU seems to be in a little better spot in that regard.

I only root against the Beavs when they are playing the Ducks or a OSU loss helps the Ducks.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Probably another reason why OSU and WSU want to stick in the Pac and collect that residual money. I'm guessing they will only join the MWC as a last resort.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

rsbgduck wrote:My question is if/when the Bark rats go to the MWC how bad is their financial situation going to be. They just spent a large amount on stadium renovations, paying coaches and supporting staff P5 salaries. How much trouble are they in. WSU seems to be in a little better spot in that regard.

I only root against the Beavs when they are playing the Ducks or a OSU loss helps the Ducks.
Nothing they can really do with the stadium. I would guess that they expect coaches to jump to power conference schools over the coming years and just won't replace them with the same salaries when they rehire. I imagine most of their coaches aren't happy dropping down to the MWC and would want to move on if anything else is available. Even Smith, an alumni, probably doesn't want to spend his entire career in the MWC.

I guess the bigger question is if they have coaches who perform well but don't want to leave. Do you offer them salary reductions when they are renewing contracts? Tough situation for sure.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

And then there were two. Poor Cougs…and Beavs.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Very thankful this morning for Uncle Phil and 25+ years of intensely marketing the UofO. It's really the reason why we're not heading to the Mountain West today.