Russ Francis

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Russ Francis

Post by nogerO »

Has died in a plane crash in New York. He was 70.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
rockthief
Senior

Re: Russ Francis

Post by rockthief »

I hope he had a good life. I enjoyed watching him play.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Great all-around athlete - Oregon Sports Hall of Fame. Loved him as a 49er. Loved him as a Duck. I'll forgive his time as a Beaver.
RIP
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

In the spring of 1969 (I know, I know) the Red Guard used to post the top scores in all the track and field events over the previous weekend. At the time the longest Javelin throw was usually around 200'. I threw 207' and broke a school record (B school at the time) and when I looked at the paper I was all excited that my throw would be at the top or second. To my dismay some sophomore at Pleasant Hill threw 247'+. His name was, you guessed it, Russ Francis. :lol: I actually got to meet him as I was dating a young lady that also went to Pleasant Hill and we bumped into each other at some school function. Can't remember exactly what. They say that your memory is the first thing to go and I don't remember what the second thing is? :o
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:In the spring of 1969 (I know, I know) the Red Guard used to post the top scores in all the track and field events over the previous weekend. At the time the longest Javelin throw was usually around 200'. I threw 207' and broke a school record (B school at the time) and when I looked at the paper I was all excited that my throw would be at the top or second. To my dismay some sophomore at Pleasant Hill threw 247'+. His name was, you guessed it, Russ Francis. :lol: I actually got to meet him as I was dating a young lady that also went to Pleasant Hill and we bumped into each other at some school function. Can't remember exactly what. They say that your memory is the first thing to go and I don't remember what the second thing is? :o
He threw 254 his Sr year.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:
nogerO wrote:In the spring of 1969 (I know, I know) the Red Guard used to post the top scores in all the track and field events over the previous weekend. At the time the longest Javelin throw was usually around 200'. I threw 207' and broke a school record (B school at the time) and when I looked at the paper I was all excited that my throw would be at the top or second. To my dismay some sophomore at Pleasant Hill threw 247'+. His name was, you guessed it, Russ Francis. :lol: I actually got to meet him as I was dating a young lady that also went to Pleasant Hill and we bumped into each other at some school function. Can't remember exactly what. They say that your memory is the first thing to go and I don't remember what the second thing is? :o
He threw 254 his Sr year.
Thanks!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

During our senior season of track, Russ also posted a 9.5 second 100 yard dash.
During a workout, sthe coach was having us practice with the idea of Russ possibly trying decathlon... RF had a long jump in the 22+ foot range, in 3 tries. At 6'6"/240, that's pretty impressive. IIRC his high jump was around 5'10".

The first time he walked on campus, along with his older brother, Bill, every eye in the place was on those guys. They looked like a set of matching bookends.
Their Dad was Gentleman Ed Francis, a professional wrestler and promoter.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

woundedknees wrote:During our senior season of track, Russ also posted a 9.5 second 100 yard dash.
During a workout, sthe coach was having us practice with the idea of Russ possibly trying decathlon... RF had a long jump in the 22+ foot range, in 3 tries. At 6'6"/240, that's pretty impressive. IIRC his high jump was around 5'10".

The first time he walked on campus, along with his older brother, Bill, every eye in the place was on those guys. They looked like a set of matching bookends.
I believe they were all from Hawai'i?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

nogerO wrote:
woundedknees wrote:During our senior season of track, Russ also posted a 9.5 second 100 yard dash.

I believe they were all from Hawai'i?
They were as his dad was a big-time wrestling promoter in Hawaii.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Not sure if you've seen this in a while in that case!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Duck07 wrote:

Not sure if you've seen this in a while in that case!
Russ competed season of track at Oregon. His success was limited compared to football.

Dale Hammit, another member of that PH track squad, also went to Oregon, competing in distance and steeplechase. I believe it was his senior season that he placed 5th in the NCAA steeplechase for the Ducks.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!