Oregon starts at #6 in CFP Poll

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Oregon starts at #6 in CFP Poll

Post by pezsez1 »

Agree. Oregon has the advantage of else we wouldn't be the top one-loss team. The Pac is simply better than B12. Win and we are in.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Texas is boatracing K State, not ideal
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Tray Dub wrote:Texas is boatracing K State, not ideal
Texas is good, but the rest of the Big 12 including K-State is so, so bad. I think Oklahoma is going to do the same to Okie State.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

StevensTechU wrote:
Texas is good, but the rest of the Big 12 including K-State is so, so bad. I think Oklahoma is going to do the same to Okie State.
Plus it turns out I was wrong, tight game now. I went to a coffee shop and when I left KSU's offense looked completely terrible. Hard for me to imagine how Texas let them back in it.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Tray Dub wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Plus it turns out I was wrong, tight game now. I went to a coffee shop and when I left KSU's offense looked completely terrible. Hard for me to imagine how Texas let them back in it.
Texas routinely does that. Start out strong and fade down the stretch. Did it with Houston, Oklahoma, etc. K State gave it away in OT. Not a fan of the play calling when they got in the red zone.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

> Win and we are in.

Sorry to play Cassandra here. It is becoming more and more clear that Oregon still needs a Texas, Alabama, or FSU loss. The winner of Ohio State/Michigan is in over Oregon. An undefeated FSU is in over Oregon. If Alabama wins out with an SEC title and a win over Georgia, they are in. If they put Alabama in, how do they exclude a Texas team that beat Alabama?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

73duck wrote:> Win and we are in.

Sorry to play Cassandra here. It is becoming more and more clear that Oregon still needs a Texas, Alabama, or FSU loss. The winner of Ohio State/Michigan is in over Oregon. An undefeated FSU is in over Oregon. If Alabama wins out with an SEC title and a win over Georgia, they are in. If they put Alabama in, how do they exclude a Texas team that beat Alabama?
The committee will not put a 1 loss team that does NOT win their conference championship over Oregon, last year TCU got in and they barely won the Big-12. CFP committee values conference championships. If Oregon wins out and wins the PAC-12 they will be in the playoffs over even a 1 loss Georgia if Georgia doesn’t win the SEC. I do understand the worry with Texas being a 1 loss Big-12 champion but then I think the committee will evaluate each conference and see that the PAC-12 is a way tougher conference.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Greenblood wrote:One thing I do get weary of is the constant "sky is falling" mentality of some Duck fans, as if the college football powers-that-be are always out to get us, preventing us from achieving our goals. I mean, a certain amount of concern is understandable, I guess, but I think it really goes overboard. I can remember back in 2010, as we spent much of the year in the #2 spot (back when only the top two played in the BCS championship game), that people were freaking out because they were afraid that the Ducks hadn't beaten the Beavers in the final regular season game by "enough," and so we might lose our #2 spot! Just nuts! And last I checked, we were #2 in the inaugural CFP in 2014 . . . with one loss.

We aren’t getting left out. It can’t be more clear, yet scarred Duck fans make up 100 scenarios where it we get left out. Win out, and we are in. Period. UO controls its own destiny, the committee made that clear with our ranking.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

73duck wrote:> Win and we are in.

If Alabama and Georgia both win out, and Alabama beats Georgia, as long as Texas remains unbeaten, they should still be in over the Tide because of head to head. I can't imagine Georgia getting left out, but if the Committee is fair they would because the Dogs wouldn't be a conference champion. That could result in the SEC being left out entirely.

Something else to consider is that Georgia still has to play Mississippi (8-1) and Tennessee (7-2), so they could actually lose before the championship game.

That would put the Michigan/Ohio State winner in along with Texas, Florida State and the Pac-12 champ.
John 3:36
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

It's going to be close if Alabama beats Georgia for the SEC title.

Alabama will have ranked wins over Mississippi, LSU, [and Georgia]. Tennessee probably finishes 8-4 so that's fringe top 25.

We will have ranked wins over Utah, [Oregon State, UW]

Texas has ranked wins over Kansas (Kansas State should fall out of the top 25), Alabama, [and Oklahoma].

If only Clemson beat FSU earlier this year... the picture would be a lot cleaner.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

As terrible as Miami is looking, I'm not ruling out a win over Florida State
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:As terrible as Miami is looking, I'm not ruling out a win over Florida State

Knowing Mario, he has been only focused on fsu for months now. He likes to look past what he views as inferior teams, to prepare for rivals
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

B1G champ with 1 or no losses is in.
SEC champ with 1 or no losses is in.
PAC champ with 1 or no losses is in.
Undefeated ACC Champ is in.

1-loss ACC or 1-loss Big 12 Champ is the toss-up.

Don't overthink it.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

No way in Hell 2 SEC teams get in this year. Simply won’t happen. We win out, we are in. We lose one and we’re out.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UofDuck wrote:No way in Hell 2 SEC teams get in this year. Simply won’t happen. We win out, we are in. We lose one and we’re out.
Yea, not this year. The conference simply doesn't have the resume for it and not enough committee members grew up south of the Mason Dixon to make it happen. They blew their shot with losses to Miami, Florida State, Texas, North Carolina, etc. If Kentucky can beat Louisville at the end of the year, that'd hell but still wouldn't be nearly enough.

Oregon's biggest obstacle to the playoff is going undefeated. Second biggest is Texas. Third biggest is a Big Ten runner up.