Hypothetical Playoff Question (Do We Really Want In?)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Hypothetical Playoff Question (Do We Really Want In?)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don’t know how so many duck fans are thinking about playoff opponents, last I checked we have to beat the Beavs just to get into the CFG then have to beat the Huskies who already beat us earlier in the season and I’m sure their offense will be clicking on all cylinders in a rematch. I can’t let myself think that far ahead, I’ve seen enough Oregon football to know this team can easily miss the playoffs.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I don’t know how so many duck fans are thinking about playoff opponents, last I checked we have to beat the Beavs just to get into the CFG then have to beat the Huskies who already beat us earlier in the season and I’m sure their offense will be clicking on all cylinders in a rematch. I can’t let myself think that far ahead, I’ve seen enough Oregon football to know this team can easily miss the playoffs.
But you have to realize that we're not all Debbie downers
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

IMHO, this is the most complete (offensive and defensive) team I've seen in my lifetime. Georgia is a juggernaut, but they're not the same team that wiped the floor with us last year. You want to be the best you have to beat the best.

Our chance at a backdoor national championship came and went in 2012 when we lost a fluke game in OT to Stanford. That prevented us from playing Notre Dame in the National Championship. Notre Dame had no business being in the BCS that year we likely would have broke the record for most points in a BCS game.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

They are probably not supposed to do this, but I suspect that they will manipulate the seeding to avoid a first-round Oregon-Georgia matchup. So Oregon would likely only see Georgia if Oregon beat Ohio State/Michigan/Alabama/FSU/whoever in the first round. Yes, I would take that.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

73duck wrote:They are probably not supposed to do this, but I suspect that they will manipulate the seeding to avoid a first-round Oregon-Georgia matchup. So Oregon would likely only see Georgia if Oregon beat Ohio State/Michigan/Alabama/FSU/whoever in the first round. Yes, I would take that.
Why would anyone avoid that? It'd be a ratings hit.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:
73duck wrote:They are probably not supposed to do this, but I suspect that they will manipulate the seeding to avoid a first-round Oregon-Georgia matchup. So Oregon would likely only see Georgia if Oregon beat Ohio State/Michigan/Alabama/FSU/whoever in the first round. Yes, I would take that.
Why would anyone avoid that? It'd be a ratings hit.
Well with UGA at #1 right now they'll likely stay there.

B1G champ (assuming no Iowa upset) is the #2.

Now as far as #3 goes, does FSU drop a game? Does UW automatically jump above the Noles this week (deservedly so btw and not because of the injury)?

I think either UW/UO winning out would actually see that team reach #3 in the final poll while it would come down to FSU and Texas winning out for #4. I also think a lot of my previous pessimism has been wiped out by the Jordan injury, unfortunate as it is for him and those players like former Duck Trey Benson. (FSU served their penance for poaching our HC and making us better as the 3rd time looks like a charm!)

The networks would likely view a #1UGA-#4Texas and #2Ohio State-#3Oregon battle as the SEC and B1G Semi-Finals.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I don’t know how so many duck fans are thinking about playoff opponents, last I checked we have to beat the Beavs just to get into the CFG then have to beat the Huskies who already beat us earlier in the season and I’m sure their offense will be clicking on all cylinders in a rematch. I can’t let myself think that far ahead, I’ve seen enough Oregon football to know this team can easily miss the playoffs.
Uhm- their offense was not exactly clicking in Corvallis. Not saying it won't going forward but they were pretty pedestrian on Saturday night.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:IMHO, this is the most complete (offensive and defensive) team I've seen in my lifetime. Georgia is a juggernaut, but they're not the same team that wiped the floor with us last year. You want to be the best you have to beat the best.

Our chance at a backdoor national championship came and went in 2012 when we lost a fluke game in OT to Stanford. That prevented us from playing Notre Dame in the National Championship. Notre Dame had no business being in the BCS that year we likely would have broke the record for most points in a BCS game.
Even more than the 59 we hung on the unbeatable FSU in 2015?
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

While ND has a long history of success, I believe they now receive a ridiculous amount of respect for their potential impact on the bottom line (Media Bucks) that exceeds theur actual accomplishments on a seasonal basis.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

OregonDucks
One Star Recruit

Post by OregonDucks »

As a competitor, I can’t fathom someone asking this question.

The Oregon Ducks football team is on a mission to win a national championship. They would rather have the opportunity and come up short than win some meaningless bowl game.

This team can beat anyone, if they play up to their standard.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, despite the negative responses. It's a good question to start a discussion, as evidenced by the multiple pages of posts. Count me in among those who would love to face Georgia. All one ever hears in comments sections on Duck videos is how Georgia creamed Oregon in Lanning's first game, as if that game has any meaning at all for the identity of either program. It's been a talking point for the SEC honks to latch onto for nearly two seasons now, and I for one believe Oregon would have a really good chance to change that narrative. Oregon has won NY6 bowls already - a bunch of them. The only way to grow now is to break into that top tier. Maybe that means losing sometimes, but getting there is the important thing. Once you get there, anything can happen.