Does a 12-team playoff increase the odds of Ty Thompson-QB1?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Does a 12-team Playoff help Ty Thompson's chances at being QB1?

Yes
No votes
No
76%
Why does this make me feel differently about him when phrased like this?
24%

Total votes: 34
Duck07
All-American

Does a 12-team playoff increase the odds of Ty Thompson-QB1?

Post by Duck07 »

So I've been thinking about all these dumb hypotheticals for the 12-team playoff this year when it doesn't exist and instead thinking about hypotheticals for next year that are in fact plausible. Mainly that with an increase of teams, going 10-2 puts you closer to being IN than it ever would previously.

Knowing that the Transfer Portal for QB is always going to be the most expensive and difficult to land, I find myself thinking that there is a better chance of him being able to learn on the job next year while keeping the team at a high level than it would in a 4-team playoff which would decrease the importance of having to land a portal qb.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Does a 12-team playoff increase the odds of Ty Thompson-

Post by Tray Dub »

I see your point and it's an interesting one, but I don't think it'll change the coaches' decision. If they feel like the QB spot would be improved by a transfer, they'll do it; if not, they won't.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yeah I think it will ultimately come down to the best-possible player at that position, period. And with how well Oregon does NIL, I wouldn't be surprised to see us land a transfer who nobody expected.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Ty as our QB. His improvement after a full year with Lanning is far beyond what we saw during his time under Mario. If Ty makes another similar leap prior to next year's fall camp then he probably will be our starter. He would be a lethal dual-threat QB if he reached his potential.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Personally, I think it would be a huge mistake to put all their eggs in Ty’s basket. He hasn’t proved he’s a Power conference QB AT ALL.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

nogerO wrote:Personally, I think it would be a huge mistake to put all their eggs in Ty’s basket. He hasn’t proved he’s a Power conference QB AT ALL.
I agree, but he also hasn't had a lot of opportunities to do so. He plays in garbage time with the #2 offense most of the time. The only fair way to assess him would be seeing him play a few games with the #1 offense.

I'm hoping the coaches do bring in another QB to challenge him. If TT doesn't get the starting job nest year I think it would be best for him to redshirt.

Just my two bits.
John 3:36
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

NO, as a HC it is your job and responsibility to the team to bring in the best talent available.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It has absolutely nothing to do with TT being QB1 next season, that is completely up to Ty and his ability and nothing will slow Dan from bringing in a QB from the portal. That is one of the things I love about Dan, he is well on his way in two short years to building a team with a lot of elite players in the depth chart.

On a side note, Nix is a Heisman worthy QB setting national records for the Ducks and himself, could be argued the best college QB ever. Oregon has a history of great QB’s, Nix, Mariota, Harrington, Smith, Miller. There has also been a lot of “good” qb’s, I don’t want to start a debate on who should be great, this is simply my opinion. My point is I doubt TT will rise to “greatness” next year if he starts at all. I doubt any portal qb will hold a candle to Nix……. I predict social media whining about qb play next year simply because they are not Bo, smart decisions, protects the ball and wins..

For me Bo has given me a season with the excitement of the seasons of Mariota, Harrington, Smith…….
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

What is the quality of QB that the team has to land? Is a mid-level guy whose available better than going with Ty?

OR, why are you all so confident that there IS a clear upgrade at QB that will become available in the portal and not someone who ends up being J.A.G. like with Prukop?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I will guarantee you that there are several very good quarterbacks that see the chance to be on a team built to compete for titles. Count on it. TurnoverTy is simply not the answer
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I know a lot of you are down on Dante Moore. I’m not. I think he has a ton of upside. Kid was in over his head as a true freshman. So was Bo. I hope Moore finds his way north to a contender. A year at Oregon could make him dynamic.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:I will guarantee you that there are several very good quarterbacks that see the chance to be on a team built to compete for titles. Count on it. TurnoverTy is simply not the answer
Frankly you continuing to rag on Ty is only going to make me support him more.

He's done nothing to deserve this type of nonsense from "Oregon" fans.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

If Oregon does not make the CFP this year, I wonder if it might be a good idea to have Nix prep for the draft, and hand the reins to Ty. If he plays poorly, it clears up the QB issue and makes it easier to coax a quality transfer. TBH, winning bowl games, even a NY6 game, is not as big a deal as it used to be. Short of something like a Cotton Bowl with Alabama, I think I'd like to see the kid show us what he can do.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Duck07 wrote:
nogerO wrote:I will guarantee you that there are several very good quarterbacks that see the chance to be on a team built to compete for titles. Count on it. TurnoverTy is simply not the answer
Frankly you continuing to rag on Ty is only going to make me support him more.

He's done nothing to deserve this type of nonsense from "Oregon" fans.
I'm on the same train. I hope Ty shuts a lot of people up next year. People complain when kids bail after not getting to start right away, but then relentlessly rag on a kid that does decide to stay, because he struggled a bit as a freshman with very little experience. Never mind the fact that we have numerous examples of guys that improved dramatically at QB as upperclassmen, including the current Heisman frontrunner on the team.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

73duck wrote:If Oregon does not make the CFP this year, I wonder if it might be a good idea to have Nix prep for the draft, and hand the reins to Ty. If he plays poorly, it clears up the QB issue and makes it easier to coax a quality transfer. TBH, winning bowl games, even a NY6 game, is not as big a deal as it used to be. Short of something like a Cotton Bowl with Alabama, I think I'd like to see the kid show us what he can do.
I also agree with this. If it's a non-playoff game, I will always lean on giving young guys meaningful playing time, over trying to get a win that doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

73duck wrote:If Oregon does not make the CFP this year, I wonder if it might be a good idea to have Nix prep for the draft, and hand the reins to Ty. If he plays poorly, it clears up the QB issue and makes it easier to coax a quality transfer. TBH, winning bowl games, even a NY6 game, is not as big a deal as it used to be. Short of something like a Cotton Bowl with Alabama, I think I'd like to see the kid show us what he can do.
I don't personally know Bo, but he seems like the kind of dude that just wants to play, and play on a big stage, even if it isn't the CFP. If it were the Rose, Orange, Sugar (maybe especially the Sugar), I think he would want to play. Lanning has probably seen enough of Ty in practice/games/film to know what he is working with, and Ty has plenty of time to get better before next season.