Pac-12 CG: #5 Oregon v #3 Washington (Dec. 1, Fri 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Pac-12 CG: #5 Oregon v #3 Washington (Dec. 1, Fri 5 PM A

Post by greenyellow »

Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Lose to the same twice team twice, and you may consider one of the best UO teams? Eh, no. The other team was much better, and could withstand your best punch, and you couldn’t deliver. Good team, yes. Almost the same as losing to Utah twice in a season. Coaches/players couldn’t figure how to beat a team. Good team, yes, but couldn’t figure how to beat a team. Unfortunately, Lanning is now on the spot. He had the players and momentum, and didn’t get it done, while heavily favored. We love the hype vids UO produces, but please, let’s have some results. Most picked UO heavily this game, and it wasn’t close, Vegas points-wise.
Last edited by Everythingsducky on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

And all we have to look forward to, is another sh*tty basketball season, oh, yeah.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

:cry:

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Pac-12 got erased from Allegiant Stadium in no time at all with the MWC CG happening tomorrow.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

whosyourwally wrote:This might (MIGHT!) have been the best Ducks team ever. It’s a real shame this is where the story ends.

But… there’s a whole lot to look forward to next year. We get a bunch of big in-season games, and, next year, and most years after, it’s fair to expect we finish ranked high enough to land in the playoffs. I’ll be so glad when a loss like this no longer erases a season full of magic.

Lastly, young coaches should keep getting better with experience, right? These guys are still figuring it out. Room to grow and a track record that says they will.

Go Ducks. Deep sigh…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a real shame, as all the other CFP teams including Georgia look very beatable this year. There is no clear power house team, like Georgia in the past few years or Alabama/Clemson teams in certain years before that.

However, this wasn't close to "might have been the best Ducks team ever". We have had teams that were better on defense and offense in previous years against tougher opponents than the UW team this year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Lots of negativity on the board after that heartbreaking loss. I will admit that I have been pretty negative about some things about this football team at times, most of which have proven to be accurate, but for the first time in a long time, I love this coach and what he's doing. We went from having our noses rubbed in it in Atlanta to being a legitimate power in college football. Has he made some mistakes, sure but it's his first head coaching job. The guy has an energy and ability that is unmatched by most head coaches we have had here in Eugene. People who are saying we got out coached by the poodles need to remember what and who was on the field at the end of the game. A makeshift Defensive backfield, hell one guy has a butterball turkey club on his hand FFS! We got a case of the nasty old Oregon injury bug the last couple weeks of the season. I know everyone in football has bumps and bruises at this time of the year but we still managed to come very close to the CFP. Someone said maybe Drunk Posting Rules should come into play during the game and I'm pretty sure they were spot on. Guys I live in the heart of the SEC, Georgia and have made many friends that are college football fans. Most think that we got the best coach available on the Georgia coaching staff, head coach there included. We'll see what happens here today if Alabammy can upset the vaunted dawgs how they feel about their head coach. Give this great young coach and his staff a chance to do what they are obviously doing (building a championship roster) to all but the myopic negative nancy's here.

Yeah, I'm upset about losing to the poodles 3 times by a total of 9 points, but they sure as hell won't put 70 points on a Dan Lanning coached Oregon team. Throw out the lambs to slaughter that was opening night at the Mercedes Benz dome last year, and that's what we have- 3 losses by 9 points to an elite team (gulp, I just said that) and I'm pretty OK with where were headed. I've said for a while that my only wish is to be able to see my beloved Duckies win a National Championship and I'm pretty sure IF that happens it will be sooner rather than later as long as the DANIMAL is prowling the sidelines. Can't wait for our chance to continue to improve in whatever bowl game we are playing in the next month or so. Some of you need to take a deep breath, have a cup of coffee and realize the sky definitely isn't falling!!!

Go DUCKS!!!

You may have your soapbox back now.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Good Oregon team? Yes, best Oregon team ever? Not even close. Not to hammer on this team but we had arguably the worst safety group in the conference once Addison left (Johnson, Stephens, and Williams are awful in pass coverage), a meh guard lineup, and I hate to say it a QB and an OC that seem to get a little timid on the big stage. The following Oregon teams would beat this Oregon team:

-2007 when healthy
-2019, maybe, superior talent but they had Mario as head coach.

I’m not trying to hate on this team but I kept telling duck fans they need to pump the brakes and lower their expectations. Yeah this was a fun season and I really hoped for a PAC-12 championship, but I knew this team wouldn’t win a national championship. This team could beat up on bad opponents but even last week against the Beavs I saw some holes, mainly in the pass defense, that I knew a team like Huskies could take advantage of. Last year we had a pitiful LB group and Lanning replaced it, this year I think he’ll replace the safeties and guards and we’ll get better. Yeah we’ll miss Franklin but did anyone else see Holden on that last TD? Not to hammer on Bo and Will but they should be slapped in the face for not using him more, I believe he’ll be a true #1 next year for us. And losing Dorlus and Burch sucks too but we have young talent coming in on the DLine, we’ll be ok there.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

I think Lanning learns from this and brings in a different kind of safety in the future. Williams/Johnson we’re good in some aspects, but just weren’t quick enough in coverage against teams that schemed to make them cover good receivers

Plus, Penix can place the ball downfield wherever he wants.

It’s the perfect combination for us to lose to UW but no other team has a QB/receiver tandem that could exploit our biggest weakness so well

chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

chapelhillduck wrote:I think Lanning learns from this and brings in a different kind of safety in the future. Williams/Johnson we’re good in some aspects, but just weren’t quick enough in coverage against teams that schemed to make them cover good receivers

Plus, Penix can place the ball downfield wherever he wants.

It’s the perfect combination for us to lose to UW but no other team has a QB/receiver tandem that could exploit our biggest weakness so well

Bowers/McConkey/Beck would’ve killed us the same way

Not Michigan or FSU though

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Pac-12 CG: #5 Oregon v #3 Washington (Dec. 1, Fri 5 PM ABC)

Post by whosyourwally »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Good Oregon team? Yes, best Oregon team ever? Not even close. Not to hammer on this team but we had arguably the worst safety group in the conference once Addison left (Johnson, Stephens, and Williams are awful in pass coverage), a meh guard lineup, and I hate to say it a QB and an OC that seem to get a little timid on the big stage. The following Oregon teams would beat this Oregon team:

-2007 when healthy

I’m not trying to hate on this team but I kept telling duck fans they need to pump the brakes and lower their expectations. Yeah this was a fun season and I really hoped for a PAC-12 championship, but I knew this team wouldn’t win a national championship. This team could beat up on bad opponents but even last week against the Beavs I saw some holes, mainly in the pass defense, that I knew a team like Huskies could take advantage of. Last year we had a pitiful LB group and Lanning replaced it, this year I think he’ll replace the safeties and guards and we’ll get better. Yeah we’ll miss Franklin but did anyone else see Holden on that last TD? Not to hammer on Bo and Will but they should be slapped in the face for not using him more, I believe he’ll be a true #1 next year for us. And losing Dorlus and Burch sucks too but we have young talent coming in on the DLine, we’ll be ok there.
The teams you’re listing were dynamic offensively and mostly way undersized/bend-but-dont-break defenses. (2014 might rival this team in terms of pure talent on both sides of the ball.) These were all well-coached teams that played with heart. Great memories. But this year, we had a record-breaking QB, statistically one of the best all time, a record breaking Wr, a hell of a supporting case at WR/TE, a line that gave up the fewest sacks in football, one of our best RB tandems of all time (tho Bucky might have finished the year hurt), AND a top ten defense loaded with NFL talent.

We were outcoached/outplayed twice by the same team and lost both games by one or two big plays. After the TT game, we were a machine but for these two games.

This was an elite team that was very well coached and could have done some damage in the playoffs. We just didn’t have it when it mattered most.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

whosyourwally wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Good Oregon team? Yes, best Oregon team ever? Not even close. Not to hammer on this team but we had arguably the worst safety group in the conference once Addison left (Johnson, Stephens, and Williams are awful in pass coverage), a meh guard lineup, and I hate to say it a QB and an OC that seem to get a little timid on the big stage. The following Oregon teams would beat this Oregon team:

-2007 when healthy

The teams you’re listing were dynamic offensively and mostly way undersized/bend-but-dont-break defenses. (2014 might rival this team in terms of pure talent on both sides of the ball.) These were all well-coached teams that played with heart. Great memories. But this year, we had a record-breaking QB, statistically one of the best all time, a record breaking Wr, a hell of a supporting case at WR/TE, a line that gave up the fewest sacks in football, one of our best RB tandems of all time (tho Bucky might have finished the year hurt), AND a top ten defense loaded with NFL talent.

We were outcoached/outplayed twice by the same team and lost both games by one or two big plays. After the TT game, we were a machine but for these two games.

This was an elite team that was very well coached and could have done some damage in the playoffs. We just didn’t have it when it mattered most.

Hate to say it but that goes a really long way when it comes to separating great teams from good teams. Ducks have way better stats than the Huskies this year but which team showed up both times in their biggest games of the season and which one didn’t? Stats are some of the most misleading things about sports, what good are historical stats if you don’t win the biggest games and don’t have a historical season? This team struggled on the biggest stage and lost two games to the most hated rivalry that they honestly should not have lost and that’s going to drop them quite a bit. Bo and the team had a chance to be something special and they didn’t show up when it mattered most. That’s also all excluding the fact that we have huge roster holes, mainly at safety and guard.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

nogerO wrote:Lots of negativity on the board after that heartbreaking loss. I will admit that I have been pretty negative about some things about this football team at times, most of which have proven to be accurate, but for the first time in a long time, I love this coach and what he's doing. We went from having our noses rubbed in it in Atlanta to being a legitimate power in college football. Has he made some mistakes, sure but it's his first head coaching job. The guy has an energy and ability that is unmatched by most head coaches we have had here in Eugene. People who are saying we got out coached by the poodles need to remember what and who was on the field at the end of the game. A makeshift Defensive backfield, hell one guy has a butterball turkey club on his hand FFS! We got a case of the nasty old Oregon injury bug the last couple weeks of the season. I know everyone in football has bumps and bruises at this time of the year but we still managed to come very close to the CFP. Someone said maybe Drunk Posting Rules should come into play during the game and I'm pretty sure they were spot on. Guys I live in the heart of the SEC, Georgia and have made many friends that are college football fans. Most think that we got the best coach available on the Georgia coaching staff, head coach there included. We'll see what happens here today if Alabammy can upset the vaunted dawgs how they feel about their head coach. Give this great young coach and his staff a chance to do what they are obviously doing (building a championship roster) to all but the myopic negative nancy's here.

Yeah, I'm upset about losing to the poodles 3 times by a total of 9 points, but they sure as hell won't put 70 points on a Dan Lanning coached Oregon team. Throw out the lambs to slaughter that was opening night at the Mercedes Benz dome last year, and that's what we have- 3 losses by 9 points to an elite team (gulp, I just said that) and I'm pretty OK with where were headed. I've said for a while that my only wish is to be able to see my beloved Duckies win a National Championship and I'm pretty sure IF that happens it will be sooner rather than later as long as the DANIMAL is prowling the sidelines. Can't wait for our chance to continue to improve in whatever bowl game we are playing in the next month or so. Some of you need to take a deep breath, have a cup of coffee and realize the sky definitely isn't falling!!!

Go DUCKS!!!

You may have your soapbox back now.
Great post and kudos to you for your honesty and integrity.

Dan is the right guy for Oregon- bottom line.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'd say our best team ever was 2012. Despite the bad defense, that team would have certainly won a national title if our receivers (and Ifo) had stayed healthy (or not been suspended).

This year's team was #2.

It's sad that our second-best team couldn't even win the conference title -- and in a game which, like the first UW matchup, was completely winnable.

I don't blame the banged-up defense for failing to slow down a fully healthy UW offense. I put more blame on our offense, especially our running game. Whatever the coaches had schemed for running the ball simply wasn't working and key drives died because of it.

It was also just one of those weird games where the football gods just seemed to want UW to win. An interception just out of reach... that fumble that wasn't over a matter of maybe an inch... our first offensive play, with the ball hitting the ref instead of Troy Franklin... just seemed like four out of five bounces went UW's way last night and sometimes that's the difference between winning and losing.
Willie Taggart is a dick.