Portal Needs - 2024

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

squintsdd
Sophomore

Re: Portal Needs - 2024

Post by squintsdd »

OregonFan4Life wrote:And Delusional Optimism is the middle name of multiple posters on here.
Rather be optimistic than panicking over every little thing
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Still think we need a WR in portal if a top tier guy is out there.

As far as DL, we have a lot of bodies, but a lot of inexperience. It's really on the staff to develop them ASAP and the training staff to get them ready to play fall 2024. Some of them will have been on campus nearly 1.75 years by that point.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

squintsdd wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:And Delusional Optimism is the middle name of multiple posters on here.
I even said in my post that 2025 is the year we see the defense come together, but I do believe that 2024 might see a bit of a downfall.

Ironically enough, I feel like the 2023 defense would’ve been better suited for the 2024 season against B1G opponents and the 2024 defense would’ve been better suited for the 2023 season against PAC-12 opponents.

But anyone who doesn’t see the concerns regarding the interior run defense for next season is being a bit delusional IMO.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

But anyone who doesn’t see the concerns regarding the interior run defense for next season is being a bit delusional IMO.
There's still time to get help. And I really do believe that if we want to get someone in the portal, then we will. If we don't bring anyone in then it's because the coaches are happy enough with what we've got. I trust in this staff to know what we need and to either have it or get it.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:
There's still time to get help. And I really do believe that if we want to get someone in the portal, then we will. If we don't bring anyone in then it's because the coaches are happy enough with what we've got. I trust in this staff to know what we need and to either have it or get it.
Where is this player going to come from in the portal? We’re banking on a solid DT entering the portal and committing to Oregon, that’s a lot to rely on IMO.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With how many players enter the portal even into the spring, there's going to be a couple who the staff will try recruiting.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Let's see how 330# Amauri Washington looks with more run inside as he and Ware Hudson are the two with the most returning snap counts at NT/DT.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
I even said in my post that 2025 is the year we see the defense come together, but I do believe that 2024 might see a bit of a downfall.

Ironically enough, I feel like the 2023 defense would’ve been better suited for the 2024 season against B1G opponents and the 2024 defense would’ve been better suited for the 2023 season against PAC-12 opponents.

When 247 has said we signed the top DL two years in a row, at some point it isn’t delusional to think they should be good.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

pezsez1 wrote:
Take a step back and realize this is a really bizarre take. Coaches on our staff and other staffs around the country sometimes (or often) miss. It happens. If we end up with no transfer after offering and hosting multiple transfers, and end up with no one, that isn't a sign that we just didn't want them.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

GrantDuck wrote:Still think we need a WR in portal if a top tier guy is out there.

As far as DL, we have a lot of bodies, but a lot of inexperience. It's really on the staff to develop them ASAP and the training staff to get them ready to play fall 2024. Some of them will have been on campus nearly 1.75 years by that point.
Yeah, I see a lot of over-the-top adjectives like 'delusional' and 'bizarre' being used for people who see the last two years of heavy recruiting at DL and don't think the sky is falling. Isn't this how it works? You lose upperclassmen and then younger guys step into those roles and the wagon keeps rolling. There's a lot of beef on the 2024 roster already. Seems like somebody is bound to step up.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Take a step back and realize this is a really bizarre take. Coaches on our staff and other staffs around the country sometimes (or often) miss. It happens. If we end up with no transfer after offering and hosting multiple transfers, and end up with no one, that isn't a sign that we just didn't want them.
Not really though. We may miss on elite transfers, but if we feel we simply need a starting-caliber upper classmen to provide some leadership then we can find that. Those guys aren't necessarily rare.

Everyone was jumping off the same cliff a month or two ago about QB. Turned out fine. Would have turned out fine even if DG had gone elsewhere.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Cam Ward is declaring for the Draft, which I think is an odd move but it takes one of the more talented QBs off the board for other teams to go after.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Duck07 wrote:Cam Ward is declaring for the Draft, which I think is an odd move but it takes one of the more talented QBs off the board for other teams to go after.
DJU to FSU takes another QB out of the system and a good spot for him.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Texas A&M WR Evan Stewart will be on campus soon.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Is WR a big need for us?