The Other Guys Transfer Portal 2023-24

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: The Other Guys Transfer Portal 2023-24

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Moore is worth getting, but he won't be the guy for next season. I think by the time he's a junior, he'll be doing some damage.
This is why I think I'm still relatively high on Moore. I see the ducks as potentially not having their next guy until Akili Smith Jr, and probably not for a year or two at the college level, no offense to Novosad or Thompson. Definitely a little wishful, but his challenges this year were in his decision-making, not in his tools.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

ASU Tight End Jalin Conyers, who is arguably the best tight end in the conference, is hitting hte portal.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

I imagine Moore will be going somewhere that he is almost guaranteed to start. If he's told that he will be in competition with Thompson I doubt he comes to Oregon. On the other hand, i'd put money down that Thompson hits the portal if Oregon brings someone in who could potentially start over him.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

squintsdd wrote:I imagine Moore will be going somewhere that he is almost guaranteed to start. If he's told that he will be in competition with Thompson I doubt he comes to Oregon. On the other hand, i'd put money down that Thompson hits the portal if Oregon brings someone in who could potentially start over him.
Agree, and I hope he has all the success in the world if he leaves. Question is does he do it when they bring someone in or wait till after spring practice. If he stays then you have to think he is getting a pretty penny to sit on the bench with the “one play away from starting” mentality.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

I wonder if DJ U is gonna be a Duck next season. Clearly, the family already likes Oregon and his brother is already on the team. Will be interesting to see if he can finally put up a season in college that even remotely lives up to his hype coming out of HS. If he can...then the floodgates are gonna open up in future years with transfer QB's to Oregon.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

There are some talented WRs hitting the portal today:
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I’m a Moore guy. He’s a true freshman with natural talent. Could come in and flourish. My two cents anyway.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

After being utterly wrong about Bo I’ll keep my 2 cents to myself :)
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

rsbgduck wrote:After being utterly wrong about Bo I’ll keep my 2 cents to myself :)
I remained a "Bo-liever" even after the Georgia game.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

This isn't an argument for stopping it - maybe revisiting the time at most - but the transfer portal is really going to make bowl games pointless. It has long been that you lose your NFL guys for the bowl, but now you lose everyone who isn't talented enough for your team or too talented for your team...
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Any bets on who sits out for the Ducks?

Me: Nobody!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Cam Ward is hitting the portal.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:This isn't an argument for stopping it - maybe revisiting the time at most - but the transfer portal is really going to make bowl games pointless. It has long been that you lose your NFL guys for the bowl, but now you lose everyone who isn't talented enough for your team or too talented for your team...
I was thinking about that yesterday, I think so many bowls will be skeleton teams, it is now a payday played with backups except for the CFP.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:Cam Ward is hitting the portal.
Do the Ducks go after him?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Cam Ward is hitting the portal.
Do the Ducks go after him?
I hope not and that if we do go after someone, they are less of a project as a passer. He'd be an incredible scrambler, but I think the team needs a precision passer.

I'm down with someone like Will Rogers who seemingly has less to fix in that regard and is already a high percentage passer vs rehabbing Ward or TVD. I'm okay with Moore, as STU brought up his problem isn't the arm, its in needing to show more consistency with decision making (like Ty).

From an OL perspective and possibly returning the bulk of starters/backups along with the TEs, I get why the Coaches would want someone like Rogers (or another experienced QB) who could possibly step in and keep the Offense at that high level knowing that the 25' season is when you may say "let's bring on the development year" when 4/5 of the OL could be replaced.