Will Stein Rumors

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Will Stein Rumors

Post by lmduck »

ducks5ever wrote:1. We have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. To be frank, it's difficult to see this offense do much worse with what we had

2. Speaking of the talent that he relies on, I'm not aware that he is directly involved in restocking the cupboard (to speak metaphorically)

3. There are very few OC's who manage to call games well from the sidelines. You just can't see stuff as well from the sidelines, which leads to:

4. 2nd half adjustments. Did the ducks ever make meaningful 2nd half adjustments on offense when we needed to, or are we supposed to just stick to some "identity" and thus never make adjustments?

5. Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit and he made an average Bo into a heisman candidate. But given Bo's completion rate, I don't think Bo was the problem here.
If coming back from a 20-10 halftime defeceit is not second half adjustments I don't know what else to
Tell you.

It's clear you don't like Stein. Fair enough. Who do you recommend Dan should hire to replace him?

Also all you have to do is take a quick glance at social media to see how involved Stein is in stocking the cupboard as you say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by lmduck on Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Re: Will Stein Rumors

Post by TheDrake »

20-10 halftime score
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

TheDrake wrote:20-10 halftime score
Whoops- yes typo on my part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

lmduck wrote:
If coming back from a 20-10 halftime defecit is not second half adjustments I don't know what else to
Tell you.

It's clear you don't like Stein. Fair enough. Who do you recommend Dan should hire to replace him?

Also all you have to do is take a quick glance at social media to see how involved Stein is in stocking the cupboard as you say.
Score 10 points in 1H. Score 14 points in 2H, plus 1 more TD on a blown coverage by UW when they were playing prevent D. It's not some amazing adjustment you make it out to be. The offense looked out of rhythm the entire night.

I'd go for anyone who has a more proven track record and actual play calling experience.

Re recruiting: I don't care how many times he hits the retweet button on twitter during the off season. Let's look at actual results. He brought in a single player (3* QB Moga) this cycle, and he's not listed as the secondary recruiting for anyone. [MVB was on him too but that's a recent decommit].

https://247sports.com/Coach/will-stein- ... eRecruits/
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

ducks5ever wrote:
lmduck wrote:
If coming back from a 20-10 halftime defecit is not second half adjustments I don't know what else to
Tell you.

Score 10 points in 1H. Score 14 points in 2H, plus 1 more TD on a blown coverage by UW when they were playing prevent D. It's not some amazing adjustment you make it out to be. The offense looked out of rhythm the entire night.

I'd go for anyone who has a more proven track record and actual play calling experience.

Re recruiting: I don't care how many times he hits the retweet button on twitter during the off season. Let's look at actual results. He brought in a single player (3* QB Moga) this cycle, and he's not listed as the secondary recruiting for anyone. [MVB was on him too but that's a recent decommit].

Okay we get it- you hate Stein. Maybe you can submit your resume to Dan and let him know you are far more qualified for the job.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

lmduck wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Tell you.

Okay we get it- you hate Stein. Maybe you can submit your resume to Dan and let him know you are far more qualified for the job.
Obviously he's more qualified. It couldn't possibly be something like Washington just had Oregon figured out. The undefeated number 3 team in the country should be pushover didn't you know?
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

That's fine. You guys can hang out in your echo chamber.

Stein gets a pass next season since it will be a new QB.

So I guess we can circle back 2 years out for an adult conversation when we realize that Stein is the problem.

I hope Stein can work out but I look at the on field product and the playcalling was lackluster when it mattered the most. It's not like the offense this year had any notable deficiencies anywhere from a talent perspective.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

ducks5ever wrote:That's fine. You guys can hang out in your echo chamber.

Stein gets a pass next season since it will be a new QB.

So I guess we can circle back 2 years out for an adult conversation when we realize that Stein is the problem.

I hope Stein can work out but I look at the on field product and the playcalling was lackluster when it mattered the most. It's not like the offense this year had any notable deficiencies anywhere from a talent perspective.

I have just been lurking here for now, you certainly seem to have blinders in when it comes to Stein. The facts are Stein and Lanning did produce the #2 offense in the country, my thoughts are he is a good OC. I do agree incircling back in two years but I think in two years time Stein will be poached for a better job, I am part of the masses who believe in Stein. With that said I do think Stein and Lanning made a big error in the last Washington game. James was running the ball well and getting the job done, Bucky was not, someone should have seen that and gave James more touches then brought Bucky in later after we established the run with James….. if we established the run with James.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The bigger issue that they had with the offense is they were trying to attack the Huskies horizontally with the passing game (like the first game) instead of consistently going vertically and across the intermediate/deep middle that teams had been gashing them in all season long. Unlike the first game, UW was tackling so much better and not allowing the Ducks to get YAC.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

We had guys open vs UW, Bo just missed them. Still didn’t like that Bucky ran all game being hurt, while James got so de touches. And we didn’t attack the middle of the as vertically
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

Will Stein stole Coach Klein's playbook!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:We had guys open vs UW, Bo just missed them. Still didn’t like that Bucky ran all game being hurt, while James got so de touches. And we didn’t attack the middle of the as vertically
This^^^^

Bo missed a few open receivers. UW was getting more pressure on him than they did in the first game.

They obviously had a game plan to shut down Bucky, as well. I was wondering why they kept him in the game so long since James was more effective.

In addition, the Huskies came in with a plan to run Dillon Johnson until Oregon proved they could stop him, but they never did.

UW had double the time of possession, went 10-15 on 3rd down compared to our 3-10, basically just dominated the game except on the scoreboard.

That said, I think there was one play that killed us in the long run. Bo's INT. Right after we get a pick of Penix at midfield with a chance to extend the lead, Bo threw it right back to them. That was brutal.

Oh, well. It's over now and I wish them well in the playoffs.
John 3:36
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

SuperDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:We had guys open vs UW, Bo just missed them. Still didn’t like that Bucky ran all game being hurt, while James got so de touches. And we didn’t attack the middle of the as vertically
This^^^^

Bo missed a few open receivers. UW was getting more pressure on him than they did in the first game.

They obviously had a game plan to shut down Bucky, as well. I was wondering why they kept him in the game so long since James was more effective.

In addition, the Huskies came in with a plan to run Dillon Johnson until Oregon proved they could stop him, but they never did.

UW had double the time of possession, went 10-15 on 3rd down compared to our 3-10, basically just dominated the game except on the scoreboard.

That said, I think there was one play that killed us in the long run. Bo's INT. Right after we get a pick of Penix at midfield with a chance to extend the lead, Bo threw it right back to them. That was brutal.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the rule on that interception. If a receiver can't touch the ball, then no player on the field should be allowed to go out of bounds and come back in to touch it.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

squintsdd wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
This^^^^

Yeah I'm not a fan of the rule on that interception. If a receiver can't touch the ball, then no player on the field should be allowed to go out of bounds and come back in to touch it.
Especially on his own team’s sideline where he blends in with the bench.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
This^^^^

Especially on his own team’s sideline where he blends in with the bench.
100% agree, that int was not Bo's fault. It has been many years since played competitive football but i do know while you're in the "zone" on the field during the game your focus ends at the sideline. Wa DB was out of bounds when Bo released the ball and came back in for the int. I hope it is a rule that gets changed, cannot go out of bounds and come back in and be the first to touch the ball, offensive or defensive player.