Darron Thomas
No votes

Total votes: 45
Alan
Senior

Re: Who is the Ducks QB Goat?

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
wlduck wrote:I’m glad to see recency bias didn’t sway this. We all love Bo for his time here, but it’s not like Marcus.

Let’s be honest. Marcus played against a far worse P12 though.
There cannot be a comparison of the teams Marcus played on and against to the teams Bo Played on. IMO, the recent teams of Bo’s era were better, designed to play at a competitive national level, Marcus’s teams could never get past the big SEC type lines. I will say it now that Chips teams are now years in the past. Marcus was on teams that probably won the way they did because it was new, a “gimmick” offense that nobody knew how to defend. With that said Marcus has the Heisman and that is a trophy won on a national level, making him the goat in my eyes.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

pdxduck2013 wrote:Building on this question...what does everyone's Oregon QB Mount Rushmore look like? For me, it's Marcus Mariota, Bo Nix, Joey Harrington, and Justin Herbert.
I like these type of discussions and i can agree to a point. As I usually do I will wait until I hear some other opinions on why it should be Smith, Thomas, or Dixon instead of Justin. I can agree easily on three, Marcus, Bo and Joey but not Justin at this point. I have a lot of respect and admiration for Herbert but based on what he did for furthering the team I think others did more..Justin had the potential in college, he was just handled terribly by fly though coaches……. Thomas took us to one of two championship game appearances.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Fouts is on, Norm Van Brocklin is not and yes the NFL HOF matters in this discussion.
Marcus and Herbert are on there.
4th spot comes down to Joey and Bo then and while Bo has arguably had the better 2 seasons, I'm inclined to give that 4th spot to Joey right now until Bo overtakes him by having a better pro career.

Dan Fouts, Marcus Mariota, Justin Herbert, Joey Harrington.

Now the former Oregon students who contributed to the NFL and NCAA game as Head Coaches is another discussion with John Madden, lol.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:Fouts is on, Norm Van Brocklin is not and yes the NFL HOF matters in this discussion.
Marcus and Herbert are on there.
4th spot comes down to Joey and Bo then and while Bo has arguably had the better 2 seasons, I'm inclined to give that 4th spot to Joey right now until Bo overtakes him by having a better pro career.

Dan Fouts, Marcus Mariota, Justin Herbert, Joey Harrington.

Now the former Oregon students who contributed to the NFL and NCAA game as Head Coaches is another discussion with John Madden, lol.

Fouts was bad at UO. NFL or not, his stats and W/L aren’t good. 49% completion rate, 37 TDs 54INT.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Do we all add their nfl career into the mix, it completely changes things. Marcus has not had a great NFL career, same with Joey. Fouts did not play on great Duck teams but his nfl career…HOF, Justin’s is off to a great nfl career his Duck days could have been much better as we witnessed when they finally turned him lose in the Rose Bowl. Clemens, 14 years in the pros, Thomas to the BCS championship game….. nada in the pros.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote:Do we all add their nfl career into the mix, it completely changes things. Marcus has not had a great NFL career, same with Joey. Fouts did not play on great Duck teams but his nfl career…HOF, Justin’s is off to a great nfl career his Duck days could have been much better as we witnessed when they finally turned him lose in the Rose Bowl. Clemens, 14 years in the pros, Thomas to the BCS championship game….. nada in the pros.
It's your choice, there are no right answers.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

That Marcus Mariota/Chip Kelly run was special.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

pdxduck2013 wrote:Building on this question...what does everyone's Oregon QB Mount Rushmore look like? For me, it'sMarcus Mariota, Bo Nix, Joey Harrington, and Justin Herbert.
Depends on your parameters. Like peoples rightful anointing of Herbert. But he won little accolades, or titles. As did guys like Dan Fouts, whom put up massive NFL numbers, but is one of the best Duck QB’s to ever play the game at the highest level.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yet another GOAT argument that's kind of silly because #1 is nearly unanimous. A far more interesting debate would be over the runner-up. Take Mariota off of the ballot and see where the votes fall.

I'd go with Harrington. He didn't have the speed or the flash, so I think people sometimes forget everything he did. Dude was a winner and an incredible field general, and he's a Portland native as an added bonus. Won the Fiesta Bowl when we should have played for a national championship -- and rather than fold, the Ducks pounded a favored Colorado team and finished #2 in the nation.
Building on this question...what does everyone's Oregon QB Mount Rushmore look like? For me, it's Marcus Mariota, Bo Nix, Joey Harrington, and Justin Herbert.
Love this! Mine is Mariota, Harrington, Fouts, Darron Thomas. (DT is wildly underrated by Duck fans.)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I think there is an argument for Herbert to be 2nd. People keep saying he didn't accomplish anything in college: the dude is 2nd in passing yards and passing Td's all time. He also ran for 3 TD's and accounted for the lion's share of the offense in a Rose Bowl win. How many Rose Bowl wins does Oregon have? Marcus and Bo were surrounded with far better skill position players.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Mariota and Joey definitely on Mount Rushmore.

Next tier is harder to sift through:
-Thomas
-Nix
-Herbert
-Dixon (my own bias)

I honestly think I would go Thomas/Nix over Herbert but that seems wrong.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Thomas and Harrington aren’t winning the pac or a rose bowl with Herbert’s teams. They would go 7-8 wins with his skill guys.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

buckmarkduck wrote:Thomas and Harrington aren’t winning the pac or a rose bowl with Herbert’s teams. They would go 7-8 wins with his skill guys.
I don’t have the energy to do it myself, but I’d love to see, between Harrington, Thomas, and Herbert, whose supporting cast had the most NFL talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Nobody has mentioned Berry, Ogburn, Musgrave, O'Neil, Graziani, Masoli, and Adams. What does it take to be called QB U?

They all make me smile with great memories (except Van Brocklin, who was before my time; I'm old but not that old).
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

whosyourwally wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Thomas and Harrington aren’t winning the pac or a rose bowl with Herbert’s teams. They would go 7-8 wins with his skill guys.
I don’t have the energy to do it myself, but I’d love to see, between Harrington, Thomas, and Herbert, whose supporting cast had the most NFL talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Herbert's is by far the worst. I don't think he had a single NFL caliber WR during his tenure. I'd probably rank Harrington's 2001 team as the best group. Followed by 2011/2012 teams.