Season ticket survey

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Season ticket survey

Post by Zyme »

Today the athletic department sent out a big survey to season tix holders/potential buyers for capital improvements to Autzen. Little was mentioned about renovating North side. It was all about adding premium seating/luxury club areas in exchange for higher ticket prices. I did not like the implication of where the athletic department is leaning for upgrades to Autzen.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Season ticket survey

Post by SuperDuck »

Zyme wrote:Today the athletic department sent out a big survey to season tix holders/potential buyers for capital improvements to Autzen. Little was mentioned about renovating North side. It was all about adding premium seating/luxury club areas in exchange for higher ticket prices. I did not like the implication of where the athletic department is leaning for upgrades to Autzen.
I hate change, too, but in this case I think it's justified. The smallest stadium in the Big-10, Northwestern, seats over 47,000. The better schools start at 70k and the 3 biggest stadiums are 102k to 107k.

Oregon should not only be one of those top tier teams, but they'll also be hosting at least 1-2 of them every year, as well as UW, USC or both.

They simply have no choice but to expand, and not just a little. They'll probably want to jump to at least 70k+. Nebraska holds 85k+.

Here's a list of the biggest stadiums currently in the Big-10 (14). We'd currently be bottom feeders.

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/lis ... -capacity/
John 3:36
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

Only one question asked about expanding seating, it was all about changing existing areas over to luxury seating areas. Some of the options would reduce seating to make them higher priced/luxury options. The one that really rankled me was boxing off the player entrances to be exclusive to club members.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

SuperDuck wrote:
They simply have no choice but to expand, and not just a little. They'll probably want to jump to at least 70k+. Nebraska holds 85k+.
I think you and the AD are on polar opposite ends of this issue.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

Probably. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time. :-)
John 3:36
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

8 sellouts from 2018-2022 (4 seasons).

Until that number is like 20+, there really isn't much of a reason to expand.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:8 sellouts from 2018-2022 (4 seasons).

The B1G fans will come. In droves.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UofDuck wrote:

Sure if we expand to 75K then we can let even more of our opponents in and make Autzen nice and quiet during those big games while being empty of 10K plus in the other games.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

I’ve seen talk of expanding to the 60-65k with a set up like SoFi. Lots of talk of north side luxury boxes also.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

And depending on the product on the field, has broadly risen in that time. Every time this issue comes up, I bring up the economics of raising ticket prices 10% brings in just as much revenue as adding 10% more seats, and costs a few hundred million dollars less to do. Much more cost effective to squeeze more money out of existing space by making them "luxury."

Until you get to a point where 100k people will go for $100, but only 40k will go if it's $110, the dollars won't make cents....
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote: I’ve seen talk of expanding to the 60-65k with a set up like SoFi. Lots of talk of north side luxury boxes also.
With seemingly the primary goal of that expansion to be more about making Autzen as loud as possible than just adding a few thousand more seats.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

StevensTechU wrote:

And depending on the product on the field, has broadly risen in that time. Every time this issue comes up, I bring up the economics of raising ticket prices 10% brings in just as much revenue as adding 10% more seats, and costs a few hundred million dollars less to do. Much more cost effective to squeeze more money out of existing space by making them "luxury."

Until you get to a point where 100k people will go for $100, but only 40k will go if it's $110, the dollars won't make cents....
The thing is, they did that. And people stopped going to games.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
UofDuck wrote:

Sure if we expand to 75K then we can let even more of our opponents in and make Autzen nice and quiet during those big games while being empty of 10K plus in the other games.
Alternatively, we can continue to raise prices where younger fanatics who actually get loud are priced out. More seats and lower prices might actually bring more noise seems, even at the expense of more visitors.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UofDuck wrote:Alternatively, we can continue to raise prices where younger fanatics who actually get loud are priced out. More seats and lower prices might actually bring more noise seems, even at the expense of more visitors.
I just don't think you are viewing the economic side of this the way the AD and the Donors who will pay for it do.

You can do a small expansion of seating by 5K and retrofit a "roof" of some type that incorporates more suites for the high priced fans and all the high priced amenities like protected suite Wi-Fi! This will in turn help open up more "cheap" seats to keep the stands full, but enrollment at the UO would need to double in a short amount of time to help fill out the extra 10K seats that you're asking for.

All those donors are also transferring that money into the NIL budget too so we all know who the 1 person is that would finance that project and he's also the type to make sure he knows every little detail too such as making sure it isn't expanded beyond its ability to remain full. I think Northwestern just redesigned their stadium build to account for the fact that fewer fans are going to games as a long term trend and focusing on fan experience and amenities more than just capacity.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:
UofDuck wrote:Alternatively, we can continue to raise prices where younger fanatics who actually get loud are priced out. More seats and lower prices might actually bring more noise seems, even at the expense of more visitors.
I just don't think you are viewing the economic side of this the way the AD and the Donors who will pay for it do.

You can do a small expansion of seating by 5K and retrofit a "roof" of some type that incorporates more suites for the high priced fans and all the high priced amenities like protected suite Wi-Fi! This will in turn help open up more "cheap" seats to keep the stands full, but enrollment at the UO would need to double in a short amount of time to help fill out the extra 10K seats that you're asking for.

All those donors are also transferring that money into the NIL budget too so we all know who the 1 person is that would finance that project and he's also the type to make sure he knows every little detail too such as making sure it isn't expanded beyond its ability to remain full. I think Northwestern just redesigned their stadium build to account for the fact that fewer fans are going to games as a long term trend and focusing on fan experience and amenities more than just capacity.
Have to second this take.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine