Big Ten + SEC

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Big Ten + SEC

Post by UOducksTK1 »

South is loaded. They'd probably ask for 4 teams to advance.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

If it is a 2 team super conference, I think some type of relegation would be a good thing for the sport and quality of product on the field, but I don't think the (super) conference would have it. I think they want to be gate keepers to keep out the unworthy.

A new regional 4 division makes sense and would be better for the sport as well as the student athletes whom we have not yet seen the impact of cross country travel required by the 2 division model.

IMO, the best solution was workable in the old conference system, it only required some standardization of conference size, schedules, and an expanded playoff. Take voters out of the equation!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

duckpoint wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:56 am If it is a 2 team super conference, I think some type of relegation would be a good thing for the sport and quality of product on the field, but I don't think the (super) conference would have it. I think they want to be gate keepers to keep out the unworthy.

A new regional 4 division makes sense and would be better for the sport as well as the student athletes whom we have not yet seen the impact of cross country travel required by the 2 division model.

IMO, the best solution was workable in the old conference system, it only required some standardization of conference size, schedules, and an expanded playoff. Take voters out of the equation!
I agree with all of your points. A 2 Division super conference would make sense. Top 6 teams in each division to the CFP. That way most of the travel for all sports could be cut roughly in half if your OOC opponnents were also east or west of the Mississippi...Plus, the teams in the east would only get 6. Oh, heads would explode, and they'd demand that the two divisions were divided up differently. Any way you do it it's going to be a real headache.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

PAC8, Big 10, Big 12, SWC, ACC, SEC, Big East, Independent. That's what it was when I was a kid. Makes a nice 8 team field for a playoff, too.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Nobody here has even mentioned the new announcement of a Fox/ESPN/Warner Bros. sports super-streaming package.

I wonder how much of this the UO/UW brass knew when deciding to ditch the Pac-12 for the B1G. The Apple deal wasn't completely without merit -- everything is going toward streaming and cable will soon go the way of the dinosaur -- but man, trying to compete for subs against packages like this would have been a disaster. Apple's lowball baseline offer already made that deal dead on arrival, but I'm even more thankful now that Oregon walked away.

Meanwhile, the B1G and SEC are dominating cable and they'll transition nicely to dominating streaming as well.

This shift should send shivers down the spines of Rutgers fans, Maryland fans, etc. Streaming doesn't care about TV footprints. Makes the proposed divisions from others in this thread seem far more realistic when dropping those schools out.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

I wonder if this might be the end of OTA broadcasts. Even in the eastern time zone I've been getting duck games and about twenty hours of ranked team matchups each saturday without paying a nickle.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I'm wondering what the viewing options will be for those outside of Big-10 country now?

As someone living in Arizona, I used to be able to watch the Ducks every week as part of our regular cable package. Now I'm wondering if I'll have to pay for an additional service?

There are a LOT of Oregon fans down here, especially in the Phoenix area. There are also a lot of fans of other former Pac-12 schools.

Then there are the "snowbirds" that come here from colder climates from October to February. I can guarantee that MANY of them are coming from Big-10 states and will want to watch their teams play.

It'll be interesting to see what Cox, and other networks, offer for access. In the end it might be cheaper to just watch them online.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Personally I think it's extortion what the Networks are doing by putting their content on a second paid platform service.

Their entire industry was started because of the generosity of taxpayers and land owners to let them put their cable (now internet) all across private property in this country. As a result they could offer a free station that could have ads and once cable came on, you were NOT supposed to have Ads because you were paying for it.

We have practically zero consumer protection in this country so I'm of the mindset that I'm done with the networks and if I want to watch it, I'll pirate it.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

They are scheming to get rid of free OTA.
The nets are starting to scramble their programming so that you won't be able to record games and skip commercials.
https://www.change.org/p/tell-the-fcc-n ... broadcasts
Small step from that to charging fees for watching the games.
The other step will be to sell their bandwidth and go streaming to force people to pay. PBS has already done this in my town (not a big loss).
Pretty soon it will be all HSN and Gilligan's Island reruns. FCC commissioners will be well paid.