Chargers Cleaning House

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Chargers Cleaning House

Post by Phalanx »

Let Ekeler go in free agency, cut Mike Williams and traded Keenan Allen for a 4th-round pick. I like the moves if they can find younger replacements, but hopefully they have a plan. Looks like maybe a receiver in the first round for them, Nabors or Odunze. Take Franklin in the 2nd.
Alan
Senior

Re: Chargers Cleaning House

Post by Alan »

It will be interesting to see what the new coach has planned. Eckler was getting old but a little surprised at Allen and Williams, although it seems like Williams spent the last two seasons often hurt.
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Post by TheDrake »

Unfortunately they still have Bozo
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Bosa took a 7 mil pay cut and Mack took a 4 mil cut to,stay with the chargers. Reports I heard was that is why Allen was traded, he refused a restructure.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Eckler sucked, no real loss there. It always baffled me that they kept using him as the #1 RB, and never drafted someone better. He’s a great pass catching RB, but can’t get the 3rd and short yards. That cost Herbert lots of games over the years. Wish they would have signed Freeman last year as a short yardage back, who looked decent for the Rams in that role.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I always felt Williams AND Allen was a bad combo, both are solid and reliable #2 options but I never felt either was a true #1. Also with Williams being injured more often than healthy made sense to move on from him. But I thought they would’ve at least stuck with Allen to have a veteran presence after picking up a young star WR in the draft.

Herbert has been stuck with slow receivers, a small aging RB, and a piss poor OLine that forgets how to block after the 2 minute warning. Chargers have some dumb fans calling for Herbert to be traded (even saw some fans suggest taking Shadeer Sanders over Herbert), but no doubt Harbaugh was smart enough to realize that you need to build the team around Herbert.

Call me crazy, but I think Franklin would be a better fit for the Chargers than Odunze.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Phalanx wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:52 am Let Ekeler go in free agency, cut Mike Williams and traded Keenan Allen for a 4th-round pick. I like the moves if they can find younger replacements, but hopefully they have a plan. Looks like maybe a receiver in the first round for them, Nabors or Odunze. Take Franklin in the 2nd.
Actually, they need OL help for Herbert in a BIG way, as well as a receiver.

I expect them to trade out of the 5th pick and either grab one of the elite OL, or, if he's still there, TE Brock Bowers.

They may be able to get a second 1st round pick for moving back.
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I’m not the biggest fan of Harbaugh, not sure he is the best QB coach around. But, he can put together a OL. So that should help JH
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:26 pm I’m not the biggest fan of Harbaugh, not sure he is the best QB coach around. But, he can put together a OL. So that should help JH
And that's vital for protecting Herbert AND developing a running game.

The problem the Chargers are facing is that they are way over the cap. They let go of Keenan Allen, Chase Young and Austin Ekeler. They had to restructure Bosa's contract, as well. They may also lose Mike Williams, whose currently visiting the Jets and a couple other teams, but hasn't closed the door on returning. He'd just have to play for less, that's all.

They have many areas of need and have no choice but to dump several contracts and start rebuilding through the draft.

This year and next are key. They need at least one, maybe two new receivers. They need a TE and at least one good O-Lineman. They'll also need need at least 1-2 RBs.

That's not even addressing the defense yet.

I'd seriously consider trading back a few times and piling up picks in rounds 2-4, as well as next year. They have a lot of work to do and it's not going to happen in one draft.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The Allen deal I don't like at all. Their last 1st round WR draft pick was a dud. They are going into the season with zero receivers that are proven to be even average. I do believe that Herbert can get by with mediocre receivers if he has a good o-line but it's going to take a whole lot more than a fourth round pick to make that pile of garbage not stink. Until they fix the O-line taking away Allen has stripped Herbert of his life preserver.

We'll see what they do in the draft, but I am polishing my pitch fork and dipping my torches in oil in case the only reason for the give away and cuts was Spanos being his cheap ass self.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

If they don't give Herbert a true WR1 and instead go with an OL in the first round, he'd probably be reminded of his time at Oregon where he had no legit NFL WR talent but played behind one heckuva OL. I can see them trying to find a WR1 in the 2nd round with the deep WR class but they're more likely to only come out with a WR2 there. They still need to find a vet or two so it's not just first and second year guys in the WR room.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

greenyellow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:26 pm If they don't give Herbert a true WR1 and instead go with an OL in the first round, he'd probably be reminded of his time at Oregon where he had no legit NFL WR talent but played behind one heckuva OL. I can see them trying to find a WR1 in the 2nd round with the deep WR class but they're more likely to only come out with a WR2 there. They still need to find a vet or two so it's not just first and second year guys in the WR room.
That's why I think they should trade back. Minnesota would be a great option because they need a QB badly and have 2 first round picks at #11 and #23. The Chargers could grab those, take a top tier Lineman and Receiver, as well as grab more players and future or later round picks. They could also make a pick at #11 and trade back from #23 and turn it into 2-3 additional players in the 2nd/3rd rounds. They may be able to trade back to a spot between #30-#35 and still draft Troy Franklin.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Just noticed that the Chargers just signed Troy Dye to a one-year deal. It's official, the Chargers are headed for the Superbowl.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Mike Williams is officially signing with the Jets. That leaves the Chargers with no returning starters at WR.
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Post by TheDrake »

Trading down is the way to go for sure. Spending a 5 on a WR or OL is ridiculous. Plenty of receivers and OL will be available lower 1 and 2nd rounds. Plus draft choices save cap space!