GM: Boston Celtics GM

March Madness Picks!

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Re: March Madness Picks!

Post by Autzenoise »

Joined. I'm never any good at these but it's fun to laugh at for the next few weeks lol

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I've had like two good years in the last couple decades. Here's to changing that!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I haven't filled a bracket out since 2021 so we'll see how this goes.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

My South region is looking really bad now with Kentucky losing.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah I had Kentucky going to the finals. I knew SEC was probably the most overrated conference, but was hoping Kentucky would be an exception. Blah..

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I've still got 12 of my Sweet 16 teams as I didn't pick Clemson, Kentucky, Creighton, and San Diego State to advance this far. Kentucky only messes me up until the Elite 8.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Question.

What would everyone think if NC State were to win the NC? Would winning it all after being a #11 seed feel like we've been robbed of the real champion?

The lowest seed ever to win it all before now was #8 seed Villanova back in 1985 when they upset Georgetown - a team that had beaten them twice during the regular season.

I believe before that it was #7 seed NC State, coached by the late Jim Valvano, who upset Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma team.

I know that it's uncommon for lower rated seeds to get this far in the tournament, let alone win it all.

Somehow it just wouldn't feel like the "best team" won just because a lower seed got favorable matchups and got hot at the right time.

Thoughts? Ideas? Solutions?

I'm just curious how others feel.
John 3:36
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

That's sort of the brilliance of the Tournament though. Upsets and Cinderella runs happen because teams get hot. If they win, they'll have likely beaten two #1 seeds so it's not like it'll have been a cupcake walk throughout.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

SuperDuck wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:30 am Question.

What would everyone think if NC State were to win the NC? Would winning it all after being a #11 seed feel like we've been robbed of the real champion?

The lowest seed ever to win it all before now was #8 seed Villanova back in 1985 when they upset Georgetown - a team that had beaten them twice during the regular season.

I believe before that it was #7 seed NC State, coached by the late Jim Valvano, who upset Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma team.

I know that it's uncommon for lower rated seeds to get this far in the tournament, let alone win it all.

Somehow it just wouldn't feel like the "best team" won just because a lower seed got favorable matchups and got hot at the right time.

Doesn't bother me. There is so much work for a team like NC State to qualify for NCAA tournament + getting to Final 4, that they earned their spot in the Final 4. And that's why March Madness is the greatest postseason sport on planet earth.

In their 9 game winning streak, they beat Duke (x2), Virginia, North Carolina, Marquette, and Texas Tech. That's impressive.

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

SuperDuck wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:30 am Question.

(
I would offer that it seems pretty rare the "Best" team wins anything. Sometimes there is a clear cut team that just handles everything, but in most sports, especially one's with single elimination it's exceedingly rare they survive. Which is the whole point, what a boring thing it would be to just assign the perceived "best" team the title.