Keep your heads up Duckies

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duckster
Two Star Recruit

Re: Keep your heads up Duckies

Post by Duckster »

The Season certainly ended on a disappointing note. I thought with the talent the Ducks had on both sides of the ball that they had an opportunity to run the score up on the Buckeyes. While I am not taking anything away from what the Ducks accomplished this year, it is still heartbreaking to have the Season end the way it did. I expect bigger, better things from the Ducks in 2010!
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Pryor is who surprised me

Post by soduck »

Pryor made some very accurate throws, though not often pretty, were on target and were back breakers. I did not expect that. Yes he made some great scrambles and some good runs, which I did expect. Despite his probably best game of his career, we still pull this game out without that unforced / lost fumble and a missed 35 yard field goal.
Duckster
Two Star Recruit

Should Have Gone For It On 4th and 1

Post by Duckster »

soduck wrote:Pryor made some very accurate throws, though not often pretty, were on target and were back breakers. I did not expect that. Yes he made some great scrambles and some good runs, which I did expect. Despite his probably best game of his career, we still pull this game out without that unforced / lost fumble and a missed 35 yard field goal.

Agreed. Blount's fumble was costly. And not go for it on 4th Down and 1 was another costly mistake. It could have been a game changer. But for some reason, Chip Kelly decided to get conservative at a crucial time in the game. Of course, all the Monday Morning Quarterbacking isn't going to change a thing. We can only hope that this loss sticks in the craw of the Ducks during the Off-Season and that they will come back hungry and angry in 2010. Because there will be alot of crucial must win games on the road in 2010. And you can bet USC has our game between them down in So-Cal circled on the calendar!
chapelhillduck
Senior

Re: Should Have Gone For It On 4th and 1

Post by chapelhillduck »

Duckster wrote: And not go for it on 4th Down and 1 was another costly mistake. It could have been a game changer. But for some reason, Chip Kelly decided to get conservative at a crucial time in the game. Of course, all the Monday Morning Quarterbacking isn't going to change a thing. [/color]

That wasn't a game changer...it was a 2 possession game. You take what should be points there to save time, recover the onsides kick (or play defense, but we didn't stop them anyway), and try to get the touchdown. Yes Chip got conservative, but you need the field goal either way and the more time on the clock the better. Time is key there.
mijaha
Two Star Recruit

Post by mijaha »

Watched the replay today, on Tivo, and came away with a better feeling than what I was experiencing as I was leaving the Rose Bowl. First off, we didn't blitz Pryor enough, his decision making wasn't nearly as good as the commentators were saying. Masoli didn't have a good game, he couldn't hit Dickson, or find him quick enough, he seemed to be open all over the field. Barner was a stud, period. Our defensive scheme wasn't prepared for Pryor throwing so much, how many slants did we see? Cliff Harris and Boyett, great games. LMJ is only going to get better, Heisman talk if he stays healthy. Other than the total frustration of being too over-confident going in, I'm happy with this season, and can't wait till next year.
Watching how the players handled themselves during and after the game was inspiring. The Ducks run a classy operation, and it showed. The OSU fans that sat near us, and tailgated around us, before and after the game, commented on how courteous and sportsman-like we were. How cool was it to see our side of the stadium standing throughout the game, while the OSU fans were sitting most of the time.
I for one am not going to get down on this team, we accomplished a lot this season and I'm totally grateful to be a Duck fan now. Going to start making plans for next years Rose Bowl, because in Kelly I Trust. See you all again next year.
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

chapelhillduck wrote:
Duckster wrote: And not go for it on 4th Down and 1 was another costly mistake. It could have been a game changer. But for some reason, Chip Kelly decided to get conservative at a crucial time in the game. Of course, all the Monday Morning Quarterbacking isn't going to change a thing. [/color]

That wasn't a game changer...it was a 2 possession game. You take what should be points there to save time, recover the onsides kick (or play defense, but we didn't stop them anyway), and try to get the touchdown. Yes Chip got conservative, but you need the field goal either way and the more time on the clock the better. Time is key there.
It was the extreme of the kickers range, honestly probably a better chance of making the first down then a field goal. I was surprised Chip did not go for it. The team played beat after the miss.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Greydrake wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:

It was the extreme of the kickers range, honestly probably a better chance of making the first down then a field goal. I was surprised Chip did not go for it. The team played beat after the miss.
It had plenty of distance...Morgan just pushed it a little right
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Greydrake wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:

Chip was definitely more conservative than what we were used too.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Chip, in any other game, would have gone for it on 4-and-1. I think he overthought the situation and pulled a "Tressel" on us.