Hire Wilcox

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: Hire Wilcox

Post by duckgrad99 »

Hoagduck wrote:I love that when the offense isn't good, it's the players fault, and when the defense isn't it's Allioti's fault.

The defense has been consistently not good for several years. The offense is rarely a problem. When you have a team with Nick Reed, Chung, Byrd, etc and your defense still isn't good then yes, I blame it on Allioti. And you must have missed the times in the past when the Oregon offense did look bad that people called for Ludwigs and Crowtons head.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Hoagduck wrote:I love that when the offense isn't good, it's the players fault, and when the defense isn't it's Allioti's fault.
Actually, the problem is that in the last decade we've had 5 top 25 offenses. Its the years when Oregon's offense isn't top 25 that we do so poorly. Why, because the defense does not win us games.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

duckgrad99 wrote:

The defense has been consistently not good for several years. The offense is rarely a problem. When you have a team with Nick Reed, Chung, Byrd, etc and your defense still isn't good then yes, I blame it on Allioti. And you must have missed the times in the past when the Oregon offense did look bad that people called for Ludwigs and Crowtons head.
I disagree

you dont have 10 win seasons with bad defenses
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Duck07 wrote:
Actually, the problem is that in the last decade we've had 5 top 25 offenses. Its the years when Oregon's offense isn't top 25 that we do so poorly. Why, because the defense does not win us games.
comes down to athletes not coaches.

Don't forget that our defense regularly looses some of their better athletes to the offensive side of the ball.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

you can't go an entire season and expect your offense to win every game for you. look at boise, we couldn't stop their offense. yes, they scored 19, but they did whatever they wanted to and kept the offense off the field. stanford, enough said. rose bowl, same scenario as boise, they did whatever they wanted to on offense.

we can't expect the offense to win every game. there is a reason why the saying is defense wins championships. look at both teams in tonights game, there have been games this season when they needed their defense to carry them to a victory. you can't do with that NA's defense.

and dude, seriously, that statement that you don't have 10 win seasons without defense is terribly ignorant. Cinncinatti, Hawaii, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech (this year) and plenty others have won 10 games without defenses. But how many won NC?
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Duck07 wrote:you can't go an entire season and expect your offense to win every game for you. look at boise, we couldn't stop their offense. yes, they scored 19, but they did whatever they wanted to and kept the offense off the field. stanford, enough said. rose bowl, same scenario as boise, they did whatever they wanted to on offense.

we can't expect the offense to win every game. there is a reason why the saying is defense wins championships. look at both teams in tonights game, there have been games this season when they needed their defense to carry them to a victory. you can't do with that NA's defense.

and dude, seriously, that statement that you don't have 10 win seasons without defense is terribly ignorant. Cinncinatti, Hawaii, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech (this year) and plenty others have won 10 games without defenses. But how many won NC?
Sorry I said that with a Pac 10 perspective. I didn't think someone would compare us to big east teams......

I disagree with you on the Rose Bowl. I think our defense stopped them enough time to win the game. I think the Stanford game was the only time we couldn't stop someone, But do you fire NA for that 1 bad game? or 2 if you include the Boise game.... even though our offense didn't get a first down in the first half.......

If teams were to fire the defensive coordinator every time they have one or two bad games then the Oregon offense would have ended a lot of coaching careers......
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

I am torn with this subject. Our defense looked good against Ohio State except for the 1st and 4th qtr. Alliotti made the proper adjustment to slow Pryor, but we gave it away. We had a chance to win that game if we take away the deflected interception that led to a field goal and the fumble for a touchback. Our offense could not keep moving during that game. 81 yds passing!!!

Also, the two other loses can't be blamed on Alliotti. The defense kept us in the game long enough to get a first down against Boise. That loss was all on the offense. Then, We didn't have the players to stop the power run game of Stanford. They didn't have the players to keep us under 60 pts either but they did.

Look at the players that NA has had to work with. We have more players in the NFL playing on the defense side of the field than the offensive. Yet we still are horrible in defense every year. This makes me wonder what we could be if we had another DC. What are we missing out on? We may not have the best players in the country but they are quality players. What would a different scheme and DC do for us?

Give us back WTIII and Glasper and I think that we go 12-1 with a RB win. Posey wouldn't have dominated WTIII

What about Azz being brought in to over take Alliotti. Did Alliotti say that he only has a couple of years left in him and Chip already brought in his replacement?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

listen, i'm not going to argue with either of you about the rose bowl. i feel it was a poor performance by the defense, you don't. fine. the issue isn't one game or one season. its the history of continually playing poorly on defense. thats why the total defense number matters over the span of a decade. its the collective body of work that is so underwhelming from NA.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:listen, i'm not going to argue with either of you about the rose bowl. i feel it was a poor performance by the defense, you don't. fine. the issue isn't one game or one season. its the history of continually playing poorly on defense. thats why the total defense number matters over the span of a decade. its the collective body of work that is so underwhelming from NA.
I am getting tired of teams converting 3rd and longs like they are 3 and inches. Every time I see the D drop 8 and bring only 3 DL, I know there's going to be a good chance they're giving up the first down. He should know by now that he can't generate any type of pressure with that defensive alignment, but he keeps on calling it. We don't have the type and quality of DL to be able to get sufficient pressure on QBs with only 3 DL. It seems once NA stops calling plays from within the base 4-3 D, his playcalling becomes very unimaginative and predictable. Actually, even in the base 4-3 D, his blitzes don't seem all that effective and his coverages tend to be very soft, which allows for all of the short passes to be completed. I wish he would trust his CBs to play some bump-and-run coverage every now and then and to draw up some better coverage schemes for the LBs and safeties. But to me, if he hasn't learned to or won't do this now, he'll never do it in the future. This is why I've felt he's needed to be replaced for several years now, dating back to about 2000.
ducklydoright
Two Star Recruit

Post by ducklydoright »

I agree with you DUck07. Alliotti has ALWAYS been a mediocre at best DC. He was terrible when he was at UCLA and had a boat load of talent to work with and he has underachieved to say the least ever since Bellotti brought him back. Another thing I keep hearing is that because we run a hurry up offense and score quickly that our defense is going to give up more points because they defend more plays. There is some truth to that, but you can't blame the offense for all of the 3rd and Longs we give up or when the defense is allowing opposing teams to march up and down the field. Plus, Alliotti was a mediocre DC when we were running Tedford's Pro Style offense and Ludwings "Anything but explosive, screen left, screen right, shovel pass, punt" offense, so the "Hurry up offense is making our defense bad" argument doesn't really fly since Alliotti has proven that he'll find a way to underachieve no matter what kind of offense we run. There is no reason why we can't have a better defense and all I am asking is that our coaches hold our defense to the same standards as we hold our offense, because over the past 8-9 years we have not done so. Ever since 2001 we have had 4 different OC's (Tedford, Ludwig, Crowton, Kelly), even though our offense has always been the strongest part of our team, and have had only 1 DC (Alliotti) who year after year has found a way to get "1 More year." Why is that? It can't be because he is producing top 25 or even top 50 defenses every year. Now I know some of those OC's left to go onto bigger and better things, but I can remember plenty of times where Bellotti would criticize the offensive play calling and execution, but give his best friend Alliotti a pass.
The cold hard truth is that we will never reach our true potential with NA at DC. Plain and simple>
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Sorry Boom I don't agree with most of your counter points either and I was about to make a long post counter your arguments but 99 and 07 did a great job at that...so I will hold off.

We use a lot of argument s to support our team to the opposition but lets lets kid ourselves, NA and our Defense have showed over his 18 years that our defense is not on par with our offenses level of play, period! The bottom line is, more often than not (and this statement is generous) we have to outscore every team we play and that is not good and certainly not good enough for a team that wants to be considered elite!

And don't blame the athletes, this is college FB and coaching is the difference maker...look at teams that do it with lessor talent than we do BSU, TCU, OSU, Pitt, Iowa and maybe NEB.

Every year we make excuses for this guy it needs to stop.

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

When it comes to comparing Defenses we need to look at our D compared to other teams that run the spread, compare apples to apples... The argument is that our O scores quickly thus leaving the D on the field for too long. Someone should (Im far too lazy) look up the defensive stats from teams that run the spread and compare them to ours... could be interesting, I have a feeling our D would still rank at the bottom of spread teams.

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

briarduck wrote:Sorry Boom I don't agree with most of your counter points either and I was about to make a long post counter your arguments but 99 and 07 did a great job at that...so I will hold off.

We use a lot of argument s to support our team to the opposition but lets lets kid ourselves, NA and our Defense have showed over his 18 years that our defense is not on par with our offenses level of play, period! The bottom line is, more often than not (and this statement is generous) we have to outscore every team we play and that is not good and certainly not good enough for a team that wants to be considered elite!

And don't blame the athletes, this is college FB and coaching is the difference maker...look at teams that do it with lessor talent than we do BSU, TCU, OSU, Pitt, Iowa and maybe NEB.

GO DUCKS!!
last post :)

I can understand the "historical" argument, but I still believe that is because of the athletes that we are able to recruit and play defense for us. Oregon's defense will never be as good as our offense and our defense will never be "elite" because we do not recruit on an elite level.

Oregon's defense ranked 35th in total yards and 11th in yards per play. If you don't think that's a good year for a defense then you have ridiculous expectations.

TCU & Nebraska have first round talent playing on their defense we dont. BSU would not stand up in a pac 10 schedule.

Oregon state total defense average over 6 yrs = 337y/g
Oregon's = 354 y/g

Oregon state yards per play average over 6 years = 5.1
Oregon's = 4.95

To say that OSU has an elite defense or significantly better than the ducks is a Huge stretch.

So if it is true.... that NA is an awful DC..... Then tell me why Chip Kelly, Phill Knight, and Mike Bellotti have not fired/replaced him? CFB is big business and I have to believe if you guys are correct then they would have made the appropriate decision.

I think I'm going to have to agree with Chip Kelly on this one....
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Boom wrote:
briarduck wrote:Sorry Boom I don't agree with most of your counter points either and I was about to make a long post counter your arguments but 99 and 07 did a great job at that...so I will hold off.

GO DUCKS!!

I can understand the "historical" argument, but I still believe that is because of the athletes that we are able to recruit and play defense for us. Oregon's defense will never be as good as our offense and our defense will never be "elite" because we do not recruit on an elite level.

Oregon's defense ranked 35th in total yards and 11th in yards per play. If you don't think that's a good year for a defense then you have ridiculous expectations.

TCU & Nebraska have first round talent playing on their defense we dont. BSU would not stand up in a pac 10 schedule.

Oregon's = 354 y/g

Oregon's = 4.95

To say that OSU has an elite defense or significantly better than the ducks is a Huge stretch.

So if it is true.... that NA is an awful DC..... Then tell me why Chip Kelly, Phill Knight, and Mike Bellotti have not fired/replaced him? CFB is big business and I have to believe if you guys are correct then they would have made the appropriate decision.

Boom I agree with most of your post but what about last year when we had 3 first day NFL draft picks (WT3, Byrd, Chung) & another probable draft pick (Ward) & our pass D got torn apart. Wheres the excuse there? There is none. Theres no way our pass D should have been that bad with the ridiculous amount of talent we had back there. And its not like we didn't have a pass rush. Nick Reed & Tukuafu were all over QBs all year long.

I don't really have a definite opinion on Alliotti, he does some things well but lacks in other areas, but things like the point above really make me question his coaching ability.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Boom wrote:

GO DUCKS!!

Oregon's = 354 y/g

Oregon's = 4.95

BTW I do agree that we were better this year, no doubt, but so what, is that acceptable? ANd no you don't need to answer this question because we are on opposite sides of the argument...and just to be clear, I was referencing my arguments in an historic sense and I included OSU because normally they do more with less. As as far as "Chip Kelly, Phill Knight, and Mike Bellotti" sometimes we make decisions based on politics and friendships...and contrary to popular belief I don't think PK has much decision making power.

Stop making excuses for the guy its tiring, there is a reason the majority call for his head every year!

You can continue on with this argument but I'm done...I don't like the guy/tiring of his defensive schemes and philosophy and we need to move in a different direction.

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!