Canzano says Riley to be offered a "Lifetime Deal" by BDC...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Canzano says Riley to be offered a "Lifetime Deal" by BDC...

Post by woundedknees »

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... er_ri.html

This is the first article by JC I ever actually opened.

I laughed... At the whole idea.

No conference Championships, and 4 losses per season since his return to OSU.

Wow.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Canzano says Riley to be offered a "Lifetime Deal" by BDC...

Post by karlhungis »

Canzano......

I'll believe it when I see it. Keep in mind the rest of the garbage that he has claimed to know about the ducks program. If we were to take him at his word, then Masoli would have faced a season ending injury, Chip is shopping for a new job, and a litany of other things.

Stranger things have happened and I am sure that OSU would like Riley to stick around. I just don't believe a word that Canzano says / writes.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

That's just the point... He cites no verifiable sources.

Didn't they once call this carp yellow Journalism?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

woundedknees wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... er_ri.html

This is the first article by JC I ever actually opened.

I laughed... At the whole idea.

No conference Championships, and 4 losses per season since his return to OSU.

Wow.
Actually, I saw this on ESPN this morning. Of course, they may have read the article and got their info from there.

Honestly, I don't see this as a bad move for OSU. Excluding Dennis Erickson (and that could be argued), Riley is their best coach in 40 years. He's 5-1 in bowl games, a great coach, excellent recruiter and is outstanding at evaluating and developing talent.

Also, he's had them on the brink of the Rose Bowl for two seasons in a row and he's probably going to get there eventually. He's a homegrown local guy that bleeds orange and black. Sheesh, the guy may even have a sheep in his family tree. :roll:

Alright, alright, that was bad. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an OSU homer, but does anyone else see the logic in this?

Honestly, I would have been all for it if the U of O had offered something like that to Mike Bellotti. The guy had already proven himself, so why not?

My two cents.
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

OSU is the perfect job for Mike Riley, because -- and don't hate me for this -- he's never really expected to win the big game.

Riley is great at coaching up talent, and he's great at getting a decent number of wins each season. However, Riley isn't very good at winning the big games that he needs to win to take OSU to the next level. I can't see him going to USC, because I'd think USC would want a coach who has shown more of an ability to win on the biggest stage. The loftiest bowl Mike Riley has ever been to is the Sun Bowl, which he won in that notoriously boring 3-0 crapfest. No Holiday Bowls, no Rose Bowls. Yeah, he's come close twice... or, you could see it as he's failed to win the big game (including one at home) in back-to-back years.

That said, Riley is the perfect fit for a school like OSU, where repeated conference titles are not the expectation. So what if he doesn't win the big game, as long as his team continually finishes third place in the conference?

I don't think he'd last at USC. He might as well sign a lifetime deal at OSU if he can get a good price for it.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
pikestick
Two Star Recruit

Post by pikestick »

yeah, but what does Mike Riley have to lose? He can go make a bunch of money, Oregon State will probably take a step back after he leaves and then one of a couple things happens:

1) Riley does great at USC
2) Riley does poorly and gets fired. The replacement at Oregon State does as well as Riley has and leaves for greener pastures
3) Riley does poorly and gets fired. Replacement at OSU does poorly and gets fired.

in situation 1 it doesn't matter how Oregon State does. In 2 and 3 what do you think the chances are that Oregon State behaves like someone in a relationship with a partner that keeps cheating on them but gets told that this was "the last time, I'm changed!" and hires him back again? 50%? 75%?
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

This is just what I've been saying. Riley is considering the offer because he has not spoken a word about anything. Sark & Fisher both spoke up right away. Nothing from Riley.

The Beavs may be in for a disappointment, but could be a great thing for Riley. Yeah, he's gotta get through the sanctions & whatnot, but maybe they won't be as bad due to the new direction. You never know. Lots of cash & blue chip recruits. It's alot to turn down. Also, I don't think Riley would be the only one moving. I bet he takes a few assistants with him too. That ought to send the sheep into a spin.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/2010/0 ... ate_c.html
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Actually, if USC is slapped with sanctions, I couldn't think of anyone better than Mike Riley to get them through it.

It wouldn't matter if they get spurned by top-level recruits for a few years -- or even lost some scholarships -- because Riley can do more with less!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Hard to believe that Canzano was wrong on this.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

karlhungis wrote:Hard to believe that Canzano was wrong on this.
I know, right. He's always on top of things. I think he's due for another sob story soon.
Destroyer77
Five Star Recruit

Post by Destroyer77 »

hahahaha.... Canzano..... hahahahaha