Riley to stay at OSU

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Riley to stay at OSU

Post by karlhungis »

chump01284 wrote:Jack Del Rio as the new head coach, bringing Kennedy Pola and Norm Chow with him (no word on Orgeron). - thats pretty good staff. But its rumor right now because I havent heard anything or reading on SC board yet.
I think it is just wild speculation at this point. It is the same as the Domers being certain that Bob Stoops was their next coach. This is just who they want to be their new staff and other people running with it.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

''One thing to caution USC fans about when it comes to Del Rio: his personality is the opposite of Pete Carroll’s. While in Jacksonville, he’s never gone out of his way to engage the media or fans.

That also gives a hint why USC may hire glad-handing assistants Ed Orgeron and Kennedy Pola to help front the team with recruits. That isn’t Del Rio’s style.

Along with Orgeron and Pola, another name that has popped up in the local L.A. media today is Jon Tenuta, who is being kicked around as Defensive Coordinator. I haven’t confirmed that with my sources.

I can confirm though through a source that DeWayne Walker is interested in returning to USC as Defensive Coordinator, though my source did not know if Walker had been contacted by Del Rio about the position.

Another name being mentioned for an assistant job at USC is former Arizona State head coach and current Jacksonville Offensive Coordinator Dirk Koetter. Koetter told a source today that he had yet to hear anything from Del Rio but that “he will soon.”

On the subject of Roski, it has often been said around USC that the real estate mogul’s dream was to hire Carroll away from his alma mater to coach a L.A.-based NFL team that Roski procured for the city. That certainly wasn’t lost on Carroll, and gives another clue as to just how badly the coach wanted to get away from the USC program.''

Read more on this link. http://wearesc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110683
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Finally got a chance to read up on the situation a bit. It sounds like the interest in Del Rio is certainly real. Tough to gauge how interested Del Rio really is though. He is being quiet about it and the only reports are from the beloved "unnamed sources close to the program". As it stands right now, it sounds like Del Rio has a meeting with the Jags tomorrow that will determine his fate there and he is waiting on the results of that meeting before he makes a statement regarding USC.

So, I interpret that as USC being a back up plan if the Jags decide to show him the door... which makes sense to me. That being said, I don't think that guys like Norm Chow are going to view the USC job as the same type of back up plan. Chow has no real reason to leave UCLA does he? Would USC pay him enough to get him to come back, considering that he is already the nations highest paid ? Who knows? Speaking of Chow, here is a report that says Carroll may be trying to bring him to the Seahawks... http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... nator.html

All I know is that the USC job is not nearly as appealing as USC fans think that it is. Sanctions are coming and USC should hear about them next month. That is a lot of uncertainty. New reports are coming out on a rather frequent basis. Here is one where Carroll knew that the university was providing prescription meds to one of his assistants to feed his addiction. http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/n ... id=4817561

So I have a difficult time believing that a top flight coordinator like Walker or Chow would honestly leave a clean program to head back to USC in the midst of this debacle and risk ruining everything that they have worked to establish. Del Rio taking the job as a back up plan makes sense, Chow and Walker leaving their jobs doesn't make any sense to me.

We'll see what happens but like I said before, I am not really going to believe anything until the staff is in place. Also, reports like the one you linked sound pretty official but the Domers were providing similar reading material when their job was open.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

chump01284 wrote:''One thing to caution USC fans about when it comes to Del Rio: his personality is the opposite of Pete Carroll’s. While in Jacksonville, he’s never gone out of his way to engage the media or fans.

That also gives a hint why USC may hire glad-handing assistants Ed Orgeron and Kennedy Pola to help front the team with recruits. That isn’t Del Rio’s style.

Along with Orgeron and Pola, another name that has popped up in the local L.A. media today is Jon Tenuta, who is being kicked around as Defensive Coordinator. I haven’t confirmed that with my sources.

I can confirm though through a source that DeWayne Walker is interested in returning to USC as Defensive Coordinator, though my source did not know if Walker had been contacted by Del Rio about the position.

Read more on this link. http://wearesc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110683
Hmm, I've seen his name mentioned on here before...