Dana Altman about to be our new coach?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

cordy02c
Senior

Re: Dana Altman about to be our new coach?

Post by cordy02c »

just saw a mops tweet that said on of the creighton staff isn't coming so Payne can still have his spot which is good because if payne stays then maybe we still have a small chance at jones
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Don't think it really matters

I would be pretty supervised if Payne stays longer than his current contract.....
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Yep, Eisenr was just hired as the HC at Benedictine College, so that's the AC that isn't coming. From what I've been told is that Payne wants to stay at UO.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think that Payne is a must on the new staff since he's only one who has any type of big-name amongst recruits.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Altman

Wow, they update things there really fast. Honestly, I think we could have done a lot worse. I'm reading a lot of complaints about this hire, but that's probably because he isn't a "big name". How many people heard of Chip Kelly before Oregon?
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

I wonder if we can get former Rutgers power forward Greg Echenique. Echenique is set to transfer (or has already transfered?) to Creighton. Echenique was a big time recruit (offers from Duke, Maryland, Memphis, etc) coming out of high school. At Rutgers he averaged 8.4 PPG 8.4 RPG and 2.4 blocks as a freshman. In his sophomore year, he only played 7 games due to an injury and average 12.6/7.7/2.3. Echenique is 6'9 265 and could be an impact player in the Pac 10.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Did Echenique RS after the injury?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

quackattack
Three Star Recruit

Post by quackattack »

Boom wrote:Don't think it really matters

I would be pretty supervised if Payne stays longer than his current contract.....
if Payne wants out, he can leave whenever. he's not gonna some huge buyout on his contract. tying Payne to "his contract" is pretty meaningless. Oregon always wants to keep Payne bc of his WWW connections. Payne has always wanted to stay at Oregon (didn't leave for memphis 2 yrs ago, didn't leave for kentucky 1 yr ago or this year). So let's go hope that Altman & Payne can get along so that Payne continues to want to stay here. that's the big concern, Payne & the head coach, not Payne & his contract.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Let's hope that he is able to bring Greg Echenique with him.....Kevin Love size with a lot better mobility...
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Echinique was having a very productive season before a detached retina sidelined him 7 games in... Not exactly something a guy who spends his time banging in the middle wants to rush back on to the court from.

Since he is reported to have already enrolled at Creighton, I wonder how that would affect his eligibility?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

woundedknees wrote:Echinique was having a very productive season before a detached retina sidelined him 7 games in... Not exactly something a guy who spends his time banging in the middle wants to rush back on to the court from.

Since he is reported to have already enrolled at Creighton, I wonder how that would affect his eligibility?

I read something about his not being available to play until mid 2010-2011 season....A fan from Rutgers was totally pissed that he left their program to go to Creighton....Apparently, this kid has got alot of game....
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Creighton got primarily 2 star recruits over the years and still had a lot of success in a pretty darn good conference. Obviously that won't be good enough in the pac-10 though, so I agree that Payne needs to stay at Oregon.
shear_j
Four Star Recruit

Post by shear_j »

So is this official? I saw the wikipedia link (I know not the greatest source) says he's the current Oregon coach.

I can't find it being "official" anywhere else, just that it is close.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

uostudent wrote:I wonder if we can get former Rutgers power forward Greg Echenique. Echenique is set to transfer (or has already transfered?) to Creighton. Echenique was a big time recruit (offers from Duke, Maryland, Memphis, etc) coming out of high school. At Rutgers he averaged 8.4 PPG 8.4 RPG and 2.4 blocks as a freshman. In his sophomore year, he only played 7 games due to an injury and average 12.6/7.7/2.3. Echenique is 6'9 265 and could be an impact player in the Pac 10.

I would gladly take him for 2 years.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

7 NCAA tournaments in the last 12 years, lol better than Kent. Not overly excited about this hire, but whatever, he's decent.

He actually had nice 2006 and 2007 recruiting classes. Here are some of the players he grabbed in that 2 year span:
http://creighton.scout.com/a.z?s=456&p= ... id=1745807 (over Cal and OSU)
http://creighton.scout.com/a.z?s=456&p= ... id=1909141
http://creighton.scout.com/a.z?s=456&p= ... id=1817828 (over OSU)
http://creighton.scout.com/a.z?s=456&p= ... id=1716819 (over Iowa and missouri)

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13