Dana Altman about to be our new coach?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Dana Altman about to be our new coach?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Recruiting is my biggest concern, especially with the state of Oregon having a ton of good prospects over the next few years.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Recruiting is my biggest concern, especially with the state of Oregon having a ton of good prospects over the next few years.

Well one thing he can do that EK failed to do was connect with the HS coaches around the state, oh and offer kids from the state earlier in the process. I know EK hadn't offered the kid from Jesuit yet who will be a 4-5* recruit this next year, and the kid who signed with SC this year never was offered from UO. If you want to put up a fence around Oregon, you have to build those relationships with the local HS coaches and AAU coaches.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Recruiting is my biggest concern, especially with the state of Oregon having a ton of good prospects over the next few years.

Well one thing he can do that EK failed to do was connect with the HS coaches around the state, oh and offer kids from the state earlier in the process. I know EK hadn't offered the kid from Jesuit yet who will be a 4-5* recruit this next year, and the kid who signed with SC this year never was offered from UO. If you want to put up a fence around Oregon, you have to build those relationships with the local HS coaches and AAU coaches.
That's actually an excellent point. Altman has clearly had success recruiting in Nebraska, which mighty not mean a whole lot because Nebraska doesn't produce like Oregon. But it definitely shows everything you summed up. IF he can snag the majority of Oregon state prospects within the next few years, then I'll be ecstatic.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

That's actually an excellent point. Altman has clearly had success recruiting in Nebraska, which mighty not mean a whole lot because Nebraska doesn't produce like Oregon. But it definitely shows everything you summed up. IF he can snag the majority of Oregon state prospects within the next few years, then I'll be ecstatic.
That is all we really want from Altman: lock down the state of Oregon. If he can fill the roster with the type of talent that is coming out of the Portland area in the next couple of years, he won't have any problem winning as long as he is indeed a good coach. But I think a key to getting some of these recruits will be Payne.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

quackattack wrote:
Boom wrote:Don't think it really matters

I would be pretty supervised if Payne stays longer than his current contract.....
if Payne wants out, he can leave whenever. he's not gonna some huge buyout on his contract. tying Payne to "his contract" is pretty meaningless. Oregon always wants to keep Payne bc of his WWW connections. Payne has always wanted to stay at Oregon (didn't leave for memphis 2 yrs ago, didn't leave for kentucky 1 yr ago or this year). So let's go hope that Altman & Payne can get along so that Payne continues to want to stay here. that's the big concern, Payne & the head coach, not Payne & his contract.
He's not going to leave for no reason, not when he's guaranteed money next year.

I hope Payne stays, but don't be surprised to see him leave. Things are obviously different 1-2 years ago.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

ducksrock wrote:Let's hope that he is able to bring Greg Echenique with him.....Kevin Love size with a lot better mobility...

Per Mops, he is still going to Creighton.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Well we ended up with a good coach after all. I personally love the hire. I'm sure there will be planty of people unhappy with the hire it only be the people who are clueless aout who the guy actually is & what he's done. They'll just see a name they don't recognize & go "See! Told ya we never shoulda fired Kent!" Yeah I'm looking at you steve tannen. Guy has lost all credibility these past few weeks. Spends three hours a day bashing the UofO & our bball program. All because he has some love affair with Ernie.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Well we ended up with a good coach after all. I personally love the hire. I'm sure there will be planty of people unhappy with the hire it only be the people who are clueless aout who the guy actually is & what he's done. They'll just see a name they don't recognize & go "See! Told ya we never shoulda fired Kent!" Yeah I'm looking at you steve tannen. Guy has lost all credibility these past few weeks. Spends three hours a day bashing the UofO & our bball program. All because he has some love affair with Ernie.
I'm not unhappy at all. I'm actually excited for a new start with a new coach! However, I was just expecting someone better because of all the big name hype early on.

But I'll definitely settle for this. Altman is gonna have the jury on his back these first few weeks to see if he can pull in some recruits at the last minute.

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Well we ended up with a good coach after all. I personally love the hire. I'm sure there will be planty of people unhappy with the hire it only be the people who are clueless aout who the guy actually is & what he's done. They'll just see a name they don't recognize & go "See! Told ya we never shoulda fired Kent!" Yeah I'm looking at you steve tannen. Guy has lost all credibility these past few weeks. Spends three hours a day bashing the UofO & our bball program. All because he has some love affair with Ernie.
I think it's going to take a few seasons before we can honestly answer that one.

I definitely think this guy can coach, but my biggest concern is can he recruit? and how many kids transfer from the program this summer.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

If Altman manages to get Polee at this late stage of the game, that will be big... Salvaging either of the Terrances at this point would be absolutely huge.

I bet the bleeding from defection stops now.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

DarronThomas5
Four Star Recruit

Post by DarronThomas5 »

any possible players/recruits from Creighton transferring to Oregon?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DarronThomas1 wrote:any possible players/recruits from Creighton transferring to Oregon?
I don't think we'll see any kids follow him from Creighton. Most players don't transfer to the school where their old coach goes.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Well, I'll certainly be open-minded, but... What exactly are his credentials? He took a mid-major to the dance less than 50% of the time? I don't remember Creighton being a team worth hearing about since... well, a while ago anyways. I didn't need a big name coach, but I would have liked someone who had more success than Altman. I'm not saying he'll be a bad coach, I just don't see anything that really indicates that.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

For those who complained, why we did not have a coach already? We got one.
For those who said PK's ego was getting in the way by looking for a big name coach. We got a lesser known one.
For those who wanted a great X and O coach. We got one.
For those who wanted a great defensive minded coach. We got one.
For those who wanted a coach with a consistent winning record. We got one
For those who wanted an experienced college coach over a NBA coach. We got one.

Here's hoping the Ducks don't lose to the beavers back to back, ever again.

GO DUCKS

Go Dana Altman
Now, let's land a couple of big name recruits, too......
quackattack
Three Star Recruit

Post by quackattack »

Boom wrote:He's not going to leave for no reason, not when he's guaranteed money next year.
he's guaranteed money if he leaves too. some of the best programs would gladly take him as their recruiting coordinator. calipari would take him in a heart beat. he'll leave if he doesn't like how things are being run here at oregon, that's the reason he'd leave.