Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Altman pursuing another guard?

Post by Boom »

Lord_Vader wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:
Lord_Vader wrote:Heslip had offers from BC, Georgetown, Miami, Boise State, Gonzaga, Utah State, and Cincinnati.

Last time I checked BC was a regular in the NCAAs. Georgetown is always a top 25 team now. Gonzaga has 10+ straight years of NCAA appearances while being ranked every year. Utah State is an up and coming mid-major program. Cincy still is relevant in the college landscape.

There is one school that Oregon is better than on paper in clear fashion. Boise State.

The rest are either better or have had better years the past few years. Why is he good enough to play there but not Oregon who hasn't made the NCAAs in 2 years and won only 8 games just two seasons ago?

Ok, but :

1. We already have a point guard in this class with Loyd.

2. We might get Polee, and I think we need to spread out the classes.

3. I believe Oregon is in consideration for some top rated guards in the 2011 class.
1. Loyd is a point guard. Heslip is a combo guard who plays both spots with his 6'2-6'3 size.

2. Polee and Loyd would give us only 2 spots. Three isn't a log jam at all. Oregon will have a mass exodus in two years when Armstead, Dunigan, Jacob, Williams, and Sim leave. Three of those players accounted for I bet 50% of last years stats and I am prolly being generous. Williams will most likely play a key role on this squad the next two years so that number will go up even more. We saw when Malik, Taylor, and ML left the team had little to no experience. If we can have anywhere from 4-6 players with two or more years under their belts the 2012 class won't be relied upon as often.

3. Oregon is yes but would you be willing to risk missing out on a solid prospect who can help this season and be successful right away for a CHANCE at signing a higher ranked guard who might not even come to Oregon?

If we are going to be starting a 5-8 PG in two years do you really want to be starting a 6-2 SG?

who isn't particularly athletic?
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

buckmarkduck wrote:Who should Williams start over? Not over Longmire.
Yes, absolutely.

Why should Longmire start, other than the fact that he's a senior (not a good reason)? Longmire has been given plenty of chances to show what he has to offer. He's a role player.

Let's compare the two players:
LeKendric Longmire
+6'5, good height for a shooting guard
+Solid ball handler
+Excellent rebounder
-Average defender
-Poor shot selection
-Average jumpshot
-Average athlete
-Low Bball IQ

Teondre Williams
+Outstanding athleticism
+Long wingspan
+Improved jumpshot
+Good defender, with the potential to be excellent
+Extremely quick - great transition player
+Very good ballhandler
-At 6'4, he's slightly below average in the height department, but has a long wingspan and is very strong
-Can still use some improvement on his perimeter shot
-Is sometimes too aggressive defensively and can get in foul trouble
-Needs to get his academics in order

Teondre is actually a decent passer too, but he hasn't really been able to showcase it because Tajuan Porter was such a ballhog.

Right now, Armstead, Williams, Jacob, and Dunigan should have starting positions locked up. There should be a great battle for the starting SF spot between E.J. Singler and Jamil Wilson. Whichever one doesn't start, will get significant playing time off the bench.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

^ Not sure if it really matters who will start or not. With Humphries gone I'm sure both Teandre and Longmire will get plenty of playing time.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Both Williams and Longmire have been streaky throughout there time in Eugene, but I would expect that to change with a new coach. I'm fine with whoever Altman goes with, but yeah given the fact neither player has shown to be better than the other, you go with the SR. Both will play plenty of minutes though.
Lord_Vader
One Star Recruit

Post by Lord_Vader »

I've never considered Williams a terrific defender like you stated.

In actuality Longmire is a better defender than Williams.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Lord_Vader wrote:I've never considered Williams a terrific defender like you stated.

Absolutely true statement...the best perimeter defender we have and it's not even close
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pudgejeff wrote:
Lord_Vader wrote:I've never considered Williams a terrific defender like you stated.

Absolutely true statement...the best perimeter defender we have and it's not even close
Longmire would absolutely lock down the man he was guarding. Williams always seemed to get lost in screens and lose track of his defensive assignment.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

greenyellow wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:

Longmire would absolutely lock down the man he was guarding. Williams always seemed to get lost in screens and lose track of his defensive assignment.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

And this is based off of what?

Against UCLA, Longmire couldn't keep up with Malcolm Lee's quickness and got absolutely lit up by Michael Roll.

We won at Washington in spite of Longmire.

At Cal, Patrick Christopher completely destroyed him.

In arguably Longmire's worst defensive effort of the year, he made Rihards Kuksiks look like an All American.

Longmire is not a good defender because often times he takes too many risks going for steals, which leads to a lot of open shots. Longmire regressed significantly last year.

Shooting guard is clearly Oregon's weakest position, which is why losing Humphrey is going to hurt this team. Longmire should not play more than 15 minutes a game. He should not be taking away minutes from Williams, Singler, and Wilson.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

uostudent is right. Longmire was our best defender up until last year(And that's not saying much. The ducks haven't played defense in years.). He got destroyed last year by everyone he guarded, he regressed big time.

I do remeber during his freshman year when he completely shut down Jerryd Bayless at Mac court. Hes had his moments but he's definitely not a great defender. Just the best out of a terrible defensive team for a few years.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:uostudent is right. Longmire was our best defender up until last year(And that's not saying much. The ducks haven't played defense in years.). He got destroyed last year by everyone he guarded, he regressed big time.

I do remeber during his freshman year when he completely shut down Jerryd Bayless at Mac court. Hes had his moments but he's definitely not a great defender. Just the best out of a terrible defensive team for a few years.
I have no clue what you guys are watching but you're beyond wrong...we struggled so bad while he was suspended and then all of the sudden he was back and we could guard people, and offensive rebound...It seems like your hatred for Ernie has blinded your view of this programs players
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pudgejeff wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:uostudent is right. Longmire was our best defender up until last year(And that's not saying much. The ducks haven't played defense in years.). He got destroyed last year by everyone he guarded, he regressed big time.

I have no clue what you guys are watching but you're beyond wrong...we struggled so bad while he was suspended and then all of the sudden he was back and we could guard people, and offensive rebound...It seems like your hatred for Ernie has blinded your view of this programs players
:lol: What? This has nothing to do with Ernie, it's you that finds a way to bring him into every conversation. We're talking about Williams vs Longmire & who should start.

Up until last year Longmire was a decent defender & the best on the team. Last year he took a big step back & couldn't guard anyone. Meanwhile Williams would come off the bench with a ton of energy & play some pretty tenacious defense. Really Williams is just a much better player overall with 10x the talent that Longmire has. Given some real playing time & used the right way he could be a great player for us.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Can't say I know a lot about Heslip, but the highlights of his shooting are hard to argue with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmW3RIU7Fao

As much as Altman likes the three ball, it makes sense to look at a kid with Heslips touch.

Newer article, re: Heslip's visit...

http://blogs.sltrib.com/usu/index.php

Heslip told Aggieville that the Oregon coaches, led by former Creighton coach Dana Altman, said that he adds a specific need.

"They need shooters," Heslip told Aggieville. "And they told me that I bring something to the table that they don't already have."

Heslip is aware that Oregon signed Jonathan Lloyd, the Nevada high school player of the year, and a 5-10 point guard. He's also the younger brother of former BYU guard Michael Lloyd, who just announced through the Cougars last that he will be transferring from Provo.

"They're saying that we can play together," Heslip said. "I'm a bit bigger and a shooter, while he loves to penetrate and go to the basket."

Heslip also states that Oregon, Utah State and Boise State are the leaders for his services.

He earlier eliminated Miami due to the requirement that he sit out a season if he transfers to another school in the same conference as BC, thus losing a season of eligibility.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I love the idea of bring in Helsip. Almost every great team has that one small white dude that does nothing but hit dagger threes all game. Can't play defense, doesn't rebound but is a huge weapon on offense. Kinda like Rudy Fernandez. It's not like this team is lacking big athletic wing players. Adding a 3 point shooter would be a big addition IMO.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

woundedknees wrote:Can't say I know a lot about Heslip, but the highlights of his shooting are hard to argue with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmW3RIU7Fao

As much as Altman likes the three ball, it makes sense to look at a kid with Heslips touch.

Newer article, re: Heslip's visit...

http://blogs.sltrib.com/usu/index.php

Heslip told Aggieville that the Oregon coaches, led by former Creighton coach Dana Altman, said that he adds a specific need.

"They need shooters," Heslip told Aggieville. "And they told me that I bring something to the table that they don't already have."

Heslip is aware that Oregon signed Jonathan Lloyd, the Nevada high school player of the year, and a 5-10 point guard. He's also the younger brother of former BYU guard Michael Lloyd, who just announced through the Cougars last that he will be transferring from Provo.

"They're saying that we can play together," Heslip said. "I'm a bit bigger and a shooter, while he loves to penetrate and go to the basket."

Heslip also states that Oregon, Utah State and Boise State are the leaders for his services.

He earlier eliminated Miami due to the requirement that he sit out a season if he transfers to another school in the same conference as BC, thus losing a season of eligibility.
I guess he is worth a look if the coaches like him, although Utah State and Boise St aren't the pac-10. I just wonder if Heslip knows how tough it is. I don't know, he just isn't anything to get really excited about in my opinion.