Post by justducky0 »

http://www.duckterritory.com/basketball ... -at-oregon

"Today the Courier-Journal is reporting that Payne is happy at Oregon"
greenyellow

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by greenyellow »

justducky0 wrote:http://www.duckterritory.com/basketball ... -at-oregon

"Today the Courier-Journal is reporting that Payne is happy at Oregon"
Hopefully Altman makes Payne part of his staff soon. It does seem odd that he hasn't hired the last two assistants yet.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Keeping Payne is a must IMO. Also, not sure what's up with Rosemond, but it seems like he always has a good connection with our big recruits. I'd be very happy if we kept those two.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Keeping Payne is a must IMO. Also, not sure what's up with Rosemond, but it seems like he always has a good connection with our big recruits. I'd be very happy if we kept those two.
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that Payne's and Rosemond's contracts don't officially end until I think June 30th. Maybe he has to wait for their contracts to end or he's still trying to get a feel for how they may or may not fit in with his coaching philosophy.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

imo, the longer it takes the less likely it's going to happen.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I seem to be the only one but I don't really care whether Payne goes or stays. He's a great asset in recruiting but at the same time I would totally understand if Altman didn't want to keep a guy from the past failed regime around. And I wouldn't want to keep Rosemond around. We need to get at least one or two assistants that are great coaches, not just young dudes who relate to recruits.

We've already been through this before. Coaching>recruiting. Every time.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

This post is way too premature - the title is very misleading. If I had to guess, I'd say that Payne is leaving Oregon. I don't think Oregon made enough of an effort to keep him.

Also, there's still a chance that Calipari could bolt for the nba (namely the Chicago Bulls). The Bulls have to be considered the favorite right now to land Lebron and Calipari has a very good relationship with Lebron. He would also have an opportunity to coach Derrick Rose again.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I seem to be the only one but I don't really care whether Payne goes or stays. He's a great asset in recruiting but at the same time I would totally understand if Altman didn't want to keep a guy from the past failed regime around. And I wouldn't want to keep Rosemond around. We need to get at least one or two assistants that are great coaches, not just young dudes who relate to recruits.

Yes and No

John Calipari & Thad Matta

Are successful because of the way they recruit, not the way they coach.

Also, if you can get a one and done type player that usually means a good tourney run.

coaching can only get you so far....

It really takes both aspects to have a consistent program
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

uostudent wrote:This post is way too premature - the title is very misleading. If I had to guess, I'd say that Payne is leaving Oregon. I don't think Oregon made enough of an effort to keep him.

Also, there's still a chance that Calipari could bolt for the nba (namely the Chicago Bulls). The Bulls have to be considered the favorite right now to land Lebron and Calipari has a very good relationship with Lebron. He would also have an opportunity to coach Derrick Rose again.
Based on what?
ImageImageImageImageImage
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I seem to be the only one but I don't really care whether Payne goes or stays. He's a great asset in recruiting but at the same time I would totally understand if Altman didn't want to keep a guy from the past failed regime around. And I wouldn't want to keep Rosemond around. We need to get at least one or two assistants that are great coaches, not just young dudes who relate to recruits.

Yes and No

John Calipari & Thad Matta

Are successful because of the way they recruit, not the way they coach.

Also, if you can get a one and done type player that usually means a good tourney run.

coaching can only get you so far....

It really takes both aspects to have a consistent program
Oh definitely. And I probably should have included that in my post, a balance of both is key. I just don't think its a good idea to load up a staff with all coaches who's strength is recruiting. We need both to be successful IMO. If we keep Payne I'd much rather us bring in another really good Xs & Os guy than add another recruiting assistant to the staff.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

oregontrack wrote:
uostudent wrote:This post is way too premature - the title is very misleading. If I had to guess, I'd say that Payne is leaving Oregon. I don't think Oregon made enough of an effort to keep him.

Based on what?
Salary expectations and a higher level position. Why does Brian Fish deserve to be Dana Altman's top assistant? Because he has been on his staff on a long time. The job of the assistants is typically help out in a practice and recruit. It's difficult to say what type of impact any assistant coach has during practices, but clearly Kenny Payne has proven to be a great recruiter, due to his engaging personality and his connections with WWW.

Yasir Rosemond should also be retained. From what I've heard from a two players, Yasir is a great guy and the players love him. He's an up and coming assistant and has also played a part in attracting some of our recent recruits.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

I believe it was Yasir and not Kenny Payne who was responsible for landing Jamil Wilson. If he's not retained then I think there is a good chance he could transfer this summer.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Boom wrote:I believe it was Yasir and not Kenny Payne who was responsible for landing Jamil Wilson. If he's not retained then I think there is a good chance he could transfer this summer.
You are absolutely right - Yasir played a huge role in getting Jamil here. I know that Teondre Williams also came here in part because of Yasir.

Dunigan, Humphrey, and Crittle came here for Kent/Payne though.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

just found a brief article
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-196404057.html

"The Ducks' up-tempo style appealed to him. A close association with Oregon assistant coach Yasir Rosemond, who could identify with Wilson's pain of losing a loved one, enhanced his comfort level. Encouraging words from fellow Racine …"
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Really? Do you have any actual inside info? Wilson hasn't said once that he is leaving, and in fact it sounds like Altman asked them all in the first meeting if they want to be here, and if not let him know now.

The only ones sounding like they are leaving are the 3 who have already said so. I would doubt Yasir has a job here, since he was already let go and there has been no talk of he and Dana having any kind of interview. So if Wilson is wanting to leave he should say so.

Besides what's with all the love for EK's assistants? EK wasn't the only one who couldn't develop the talent UO has had. My guess is Payne will be the only one retained from the last staff.

Also if you listen to the interview with T. Williams on 541radio, it sounds like the players are all really liking Altman. He even lifts weights with the team everyday. Give Dana a whole year to recruit, I think he will surprise people with his recruiting ability. He walked into to Vegas and stole the Nevada POY from UNLV, just one week on the job. If you don't think that's a very big deal just look at the facts, his dad played for Vegas, and UNLV is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best basketball school on the west coast behind only UCLA and right up there with UA.
Boom wrote:I believe it was Yasir and not Kenny Payne who was responsible for landing Jamil Wilson. If he's not retained then I think there is a good chance he could transfer this summer.