Kenny Payne Stays

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan22
Senior

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by duckfan22 »

quackattack wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:i think he stays. just my gut feeling tho. I think if he was gonna
leave he would have been gone already.
i happen to think the opposite..if he was gonna stay, there would've been an official announcement by now. but either way, i'm thinking that we'll likely know by the end of next week
And you could be right to. I hope he stays. but either way i hope
he does whats best for himself.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

greenyellow wrote:
justducky0 wrote:http://www.duckterritory.com/basketball ... -at-oregon

"Today the Courier-Journal is reporting that Payne is happy at Oregon"
Hopefully Altman makes Payne part of his staff soon. It does seem odd that he hasn't hired the last two assistants yet.
Altman wanted Payne and was waiting on him: http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... red_1.html
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Brophdog88 wrote:thing is we added an x's and o's guy....Altman...why would we need to hire more X's and O's guys for the bench than before if the guy at the top is an x's and o's guy
Thats the whole point of having assistants on the bench with you during games. The more eyes dissecting the game & figuring out what the other team is doing, the better. Every good coach has at the very least, one great Xs & Os guy on the bench to help him out during games. Most coaches have multiple guys.

If you think Altman is just this genius who doesn't need any help & can just send his assistants out on the recruiting trail all year, you need to get a clue.
2 X's and O's guys and two recruiters is fine, we only had one X's and O's guy before, but ifhe is considered not a good but a GREAT X's and O's guy, he shouldn't need two more x's and o's guys on the bench, we need to balance out the coaches weaknesses, and Rosemond and Payne do that. I don't know about Fish, if he is a recruiter then sure, we should go for coach on the bench rather than another recruiter, but we don't need two bench X's and O's guys either
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Brophdog88 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Brophdog88 wrote:thing is we added an x's and o's guy....Altman...why would we need to hire more X's and O's guys for the bench than before if the guy at the top is an x's and o's guy
Thats the whole point of having assistants on the bench with you during games. The more eyes dissecting the game & figuring out what the other team is doing, the better. Every good coach has at the very least, one great Xs & Os guy on the bench to help him out during games. Most coaches have multiple guys.

If you think Altman is just this genius who doesn't need any help & can just send his assistants out on the recruiting trail all year, you need to get a clue.
2 X's and O's guys and two recruiters is fine, we only had one X's and O's guy before, but ifhe is considered not a good but a GREAT X's and O's guy, he shouldn't need two more x's and o's guys on the bench, we need to balance out the coaches weaknesses, and Rosemond and Payne do that. I don't know about Fish, if he is a recruiter then sure, we should go for coach on the bench rather than another recruiter, but we don't need two bench X's and O's guys either
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Fish was Altman's top recruiter at Creightone, thats why he brought him in. We need at least one Xs & Os guy to help out Altman.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Sounds like Kenny Payne is going to Kentucky according to a few different tweets (not always reliable)
"Kenny Payne is thought to be coming to Lexington tomorrow according to @bfisherwkyt"
"Source just told me Kenny Payne is in Lexington this weekend to look for a home."

That would stink, but it's not totally unexpected. I would be more shocked if Payne stayed at Oregon.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I wonder what is taking Altman so long to get some assistants. With Payne more than likely leaving, you would think he at least has some names in mind to fill the positions.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

uostudent wrote:Sounds like Kenny Payne is going to Kentucky according to a few different tweets (not always reliable)
"Kenny Payne is thought to be coming to Lexington tomorrow according to @bfisherwkyt"
"Source just told me Kenny Payne is in Lexington this weekend to look for a home."

That would stink, but it's not totally unexpected. I would be more shocked if Payne stayed at Oregon.
Wouldn't be surprised, I've been hearing some rumors from kentucky fans that he's going to Kentucky.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Maybe I'm the only one here with this opinion, but I'm fine with starting with a completely new coaching staff. With Payne leaving, it will be a true test for Altman and his staff to see if they can recruit and win.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

this isnt a surprise at all. He's from there anyways. i also think a fresh
staff will be fine. Rosemond from what i hear is still there. wonder if he
sticks with the ducks.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

duckfan22 wrote:this isnt a surprise at all. He's from there anyways. i also think a fresh
staff will be fine. Rosemond from what i hear is still there. wonder if he
sticks with the ducks.
Disappointed that Payne is leaving, but not unexpected. Kentucky is upgrade.

Yasir Rosemond is still with the team because he's under contract until June 30. At this point, retaining Rosemond is a must. The guy is a great recruiter and the players love him. I think Altman was waiting on Payne before making any decisions regarding the assistant coaching vacancies.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think that maybe a completely new start might not be a bad thing for the program. Having people from the old staff may keep some players from fully buying into the new system if an old coach is still there. I would gladly have Rosemond back on the staff but I have a hard time thinking that he'll stay without Payne still here. He would probably feel a little unwelcomed and unwanted since he really has no ties to Altman that are keeping him here.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Pretty big loss imo

I just hope this doesn't lead to more transfers this summer
quackattack
Three Star Recruit

Post by quackattack »

http://www.541radio.com/play_window.php ... Id=4684227

i agree with Goodman 100% on this take..exactly what i was telling my friend who's a uk fan. payne's reputation was much higher than his results, and his www connection doesn't really add much to uk since calipari would basically be in on the same kids payne would be.

now if altman can't bring in 2 solid recruiters, this may sting a little more, but i think we'd be better off getting someone with more west coast connections and starting fresh overall.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

If Payne is gone, then Altman needs to get right on getting some new assistants so that they can cover the upcoming summer camps and AAU circuit. He is going to need to get some guys that recruits will know or can relate to. I think he may need to raid some other coaching staffs at major conference schools so he has people who know what it takes at this level. Don't take this the wrong way, but Altman can't just have a lily white coaching staff or it will look like his staff can't or won't relate to possible recruits.