Terrence Jones to kentucky?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Terrence Jones to kentucky?

Post by Boom »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:On Mops twitter, there is a note per Yasir Rosemond that Jones was set to come to Oregon before Kent was fired. As much as I would have wanted Jones to be a duck, I think it will end up working out well for both parties. Also, I don't get why a recruit like Jones cannot seem to realize that the team might be better without Kent. Maybe Jones and Kent had a great relationship, but isn't the ultimate goal to win and have a chance to play in the NBA?
I'm sure every other assistant coach that was recruiting Jones thought the same thing. He was coming here just like he was going to UW.
It's not just the assistant coach....... Jones publicly said that him and others would have came here if it wasn't for us firing Kent.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckgrad99 wrote:On Mops twitter, there is a note per Yasir Rosemond that Jones was set to come to Oregon before Kent was fired. As much as I would have wanted Jones to be a duck, I think it will end up working out well for both parties. Also, I don't get why a recruit like Jones cannot seem to realize that the team might be better without Kent. Maybe Jones and Kent had a great relationship, but isn't the ultimate goal to win and have a chance to play in the NBA?
I don't buy it. Maybe Yasir did think that, but what about the other Oregon talent over the years that has slipped away?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
I'm sure every other assistant coach that was recruiting Jones thought the same thing. He was coming here just like he was going to UW.
It's not just the assistant coach....... Jones publicly said that him and others would have came here if it wasn't for us firing Kent.
You got a linky for that quote? Or did you just pull it out of your back side?
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

One great player and a bad coach isn't going to make the team better so we are going to be better off without Kent and Jones then with them. I have a good feeling Altman will be able to bring in top shelf talent, particularly in state. I for one am happy to lose Jones if it means a better coach to turn this program around.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

gofightingducks wrote:One great player and a bad coach isn't going to make the team better so we are going to be better off without Kent and Jones then with them. I have a good feeling Altman will be able to bring in top shelf talent, particularly in state. I for one am happy to lose Jones if it means a better coach to turn this program around.
Long term firing Kent obviously has upside, but short term (next 1-2yrs) it sucks.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
I don't buy it. Maybe Yasir did think that, but what about the other Oregon talent over the years that has slipped away?
You mean the guys that went to UCLA and Duke?
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Yes because I often do that.... :roll:

http://twitter.com/JHuntweet/status/13156154457

This has been discussed in an old thread
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:

Jones said other players wanted to go to Oregon with him "if things worked out with other coaches." ... not seeing anything about Kent there. By "other coaches" he meant coaches not named Kent. Like Izzo, Donovan, Dixon, Anderson, etc, etc.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:

Jones said other players wanted to go to Oregon with him "if things worked out with other coaches." ... not seeing anything about Kent there. By "other coaches" he meant coaches not named Kent. Like Izzo, Donovan, Dixon, Anderson, etc, etc.
you do realize your wrong right?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pudgejeff wrote:you do realize your wrong right?
Prove it.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

It's easy for a 17 year old kid like Jones to say he would have done something, especially now that the process is over. Also, all of this isn't coming directly from Jones, it's coming from Rosemond. Besides, there really isn't any point for Yasir to bring this up now. Kent is gone, and it's time to move forward with the new coaching staff.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The quote from Hunt was dated April 30th... Kent had already been gone for over a month when that was posted.

If in fact the comment was accurate, it obviously referenced one of the other potential coaches speculated about all over the internet, such a Dixon, Donovan, Smith, Anderson, etc., ad nauseum.

Move on... Nothing to see here.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

woundedknees wrote:The quote from Hunt was dated April 30th... Kent had already been gone for over a month when that was posted.

If in fact the comment was accurate, it obviously referenced one of the other potential coaches speculated about all over the internet, such a Dixon, Donovan, Smith, Anderson, etc., ad nauseum.

Move on... Nothing to see here.
I really don't think so...... If anyone can find the extended version of his press conference I believe the question frames in his answer a little better.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Here you go, in the context of the original article... It says nothing about wanting to play for Kent.

Ernie himself kept claiming that the phone was ringing off the hook with high level players wanting to come to Oregon, in the last few weeks before his dismissal.

Evidently MB didn't take him seriously.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... achin.html

"The length of Oregon’s basketball coaching search cost the Ducks a shot at one of the state’s most talented recruits in recent years."

"Terrence Jones, a five-star forward from Portland’s Jefferson High School, announced his college decision Friday after deliberating until the last second. Jones chose Washington and Huskies coach Lorenzo Romar, who has been on the job for eight seasons – compared to four days for Oregon coach Dana Altman."

“That was pretty much the problem for me – I didn't know the coach,’’ Jones said after making his announcement at the high school. “I didn’t want to go to a school where I had no idea who the coach was.’’

"So Oregon probably didn’t lose out on both Terrences, but the Ducks might have jeopardized even more than Jones with the lengthy search. Jones said other players wanted to go to Oregon with him “if things worked out with certain coaches,’’ although he didn’t specify who those coaches were."
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

No, he never specifically said he wanted to play for Kent....

but in the full video of his news conference.... it came across that way.