Catron Granted extra year

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

cordy02c
Senior

Catron Granted extra year

Post by cordy02c »

Just read in the registerguard that catron got his medical redshirt it will nice to have someone with experience with the new regime
dthomas=ddixon

Re: Catron Granted extra year

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Good news. He'll help us out a lot next year.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Good news for a change. I wasn't expecting him to get it. I hope Catron takes full advantage of this. His last few seasons have been disappointing.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Good news. He'll help us out a lot next year.
He definitely helps the Ducks down low, even if he is a bit short for the post. Keeps the depth chart somewhat full until Altman can bring in extra players.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Good news since we don't have very many big bodies. I've never liked Catron's style of play though.. He thinks he's a PG half the time, the other half he thinks he's a center. He needs to know his body and know that he's a SF/PF and play a style accordingly.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

greenyellow wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Good news. He'll help us out a lot next year.
He definitely helps the Ducks down low, even if he is a bit short for the post. Keeps the depth chart somewhat full until Altman can bring in extra players.

Charles Barkley was a bit short for the post too....Lets just hope that Altman can help Catron with his game, more than Ernie did....
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Good news since we don't have very many big bodies. I've never liked Catron's style of play though.. He thinks he's a PG half the time, the other half he thinks he's a center. He needs to know his body and know that he's a SF/PF and play a style accordingly.
How much of any confusion in style do you think was the coaching he received, as well as being misused in the system?

Catron has a huge heart, decent talent, and gives everything he has while on the floor.

IMO, he is a good fit for Altman's team.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

woundedknees wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Good news since we don't have very many big bodies. I've never liked Catron's style of play though.. He thinks he's a PG half the time, the other half he thinks he's a center. He needs to know his body and know that he's a SF/PF and play a style accordingly.
How much of any confusion in style do you think was the coaching he received, as well as being misused in the system?

Catron has a huge heart, decent talent, and gives everything he has while on the floor.

This. Catron was the living embodiment of all that was fundamentally flawed with Ernie Kent basketball. Catron seems both open and teachable, so here's hoping he has a big year.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

oregontrack wrote:
woundedknees wrote:

This. Catron was the living embodiment of all that was fundamentally flawed with Ernie Kent basketball. Catron seems both open and teachable, so here's hoping he has a big year.
I never really understood fans getting on Catron. Every time I saw him playing he was working hard, and doing what it seemed like he was being told to. You could always see his intensity out there, and I think that with good coaching, not yelling "move", he can actually do well as a role player this year. I am really excited to se not only his growth, but also how a lot of others react to the new coaches and their way of doing things..could be special.
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

There were times in Catron's early career where his potential to be a dominating role player was obvious... It will be interesting to see how Altman develops his talents.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Totally agree with the posts above. I'm not going hold the past 2-3 years against any of these guys. For guys like Dunigan who have not been even close to what was expected, I don't blame them at all & I'm just looking forward to how much they can improve in their last few years under some real coaching. The last 2 years are forgotten, time to start fresh.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Autzenoise wrote:
oregontrack wrote:
woundedknees wrote:

I never really understood fans getting on Catron. Every time I saw him playing he was working hard, and doing what it seemed like he was being told to. You could always see his intensity out there, and I think that with good coaching, not yelling "move", he can actually do well as a role player this year. I am really excited to se not only his growth, but also how a lot of others react to the new coaches and their way of doing things..could be special.
Agreed. Effort was never his issue. He just tried to do way too much, and didn't always know his limitations.

I continue to maintain that his game against Alabama in Maui two years ago was the most impressive individual performance from a Duck hoopster since Luke Jackson dropped 40-something on Colorado in 2004. He was unstoppable.
ImageImageImageImageImage
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Yay!!!! another role player taking up a scholarship :)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

justducky0 wrote:Yay!!!! another role player taking up a scholarship :)
If there was an available player who could help this team, I would want them to take them, but since there really aren't any I'll gladly take Catron back.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

oregontrack wrote:
Autzenoise wrote:
oregontrack wrote:
woundedknees wrote:

Agreed. Effort was never his issue. He just tried to do way too much, and didn't always know his limitations.

I continue to maintain that his game against Alabama in Maui two years ago was the most impressive individual performance from a Duck hoopster since Luke Jackson dropped 40-something on Colorado in 2004. He was unstoppable.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! he had 17 Points and 13 Boards...hardly exceptional numbers....and unfortuanly for him that is one of his best performances...Catron is just a undersized role player