OT: Awful Headlines

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

OT: Awful Headlines

Post by StevensTechU »

This is very off-topic, except for the fact that sports websites might be the most guilty of what I'm about to bemoan - recruiting websites the absolute worst.

In the age of clickbait, overreactive headlines seem to have found a home, and personally, it drives me absolutely crazy. Words and expressions seem to be losing all meaning because of low quality media members who don't know how to write. Here is a sample of common, overused expressions:

"Sounds off" - describes a basic interview about mostly mundane things; interviewee doesn't make any passionate or forceful statements
"Goes Viral" - 2000 people liked a tweet
"Ultimate Guide" - standard with no non-standard features
"Opens Up About" - again, basic interview with nothing they have any reason to withhold
"LOOK" - there is a graphic embedded somewhere in this article that you can probably live without

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
Alan
Senior

Re: OT: Awful Headlines

Post by Alan »

I couldn’t agree more.....click bait by mostly wannabes

“No conformation yet, but being reported........”
Merganzer
Senior

Re: OT: Awful Headlines

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:This is very off-topic, except for the fact that sports websites might be the most guilty of what I'm about to bemoan - recruiting websites the absolute worst.

In the age of clickbait, overreactive headlines seem to have found a home, and personally, it drives me absolutely crazy. Words and expressions seem to be losing all meaning because of low quality media members who don't know how to write. Here is a sample of common, overused expressions:

"Sounds off" - describes a basic interview about mostly mundane things; interviewee doesn't make any passionate or forceful statements
"Goes Viral" - 2000 people liked a tweet
"Ultimate Guide" - standard with no non-standard features
"Opens Up About" - again, basic interview with nothing they have any reason to withhold
"LOOK" - there is a graphic embedded somewhere in this article that you can probably live without

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
Sometimes the the headlines aren't even exaggerations, but just as useless in that they have no substance, "shocking predictions, "You won't believe". The title is upfront about the content, but it being published at all gives it a credibility it doesn't deserve.