All Pac-12

[Poll] Your Reaction to "Civil War" De-Naming

Post by StevensTechU »

What is your reaction?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: [Poll] Your Reaction to "Civil War" De-Naming

Post by droop10 »

StevensTechU wrote:What is your reaction?
Going with more of an annoyed groan about how far cancel culture is going in general, but don’t care enough to legit be angry about it.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

As a white male well past retirement age I really hadn't thought about it. With the political and racial tension today it makes sense not to celebrate division. Bring on the Platypus Trophy game.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

Someone should vote for “loud applause” so it doesn’t feel excluded and offended
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I just find it so stupid. Seems people are just finding an excuse to get upset over every little thing. I blame it on the boredom and downtime caused by all the coronavirus lockdowns. The country is going to be unrecognizable after all the changes. 2020 really sucks.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

I went with shrug. We absolutely need cultural change for the better and real movement toward equality. To me this just seems like a small price for my entitled ace to pay for it.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Look, I’m not gonna cry myself to sleep because our rivalry game name changed, but aren’t we getting to a level of silliness here? I wonder how many people would have been offended by the game name 6 months ago. I never even considered it was offensive nor had racial connotations. Maybe I’m just naive.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Look, I’m not gonna cry myself to sleep because our rivalry game name changed, but aren’t we getting to a level of silliness here? I wonder how many people would have been offended by the game name 6 months ago. I never even considered it was offensive nor had racial connotations. Maybe I’m just naive.
People just seem to have the idea that with how reactive businesses, institutions, and governments are being in the current climate, now is the time to just request anything to be changed under the guise that it's offensive, even if it's only slightly or only affects a rather small minority of the actual population.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:Look, I’m not gonna cry myself to sleep because our rivalry game name changed, but aren’t we getting to a level of silliness here? I wonder how many people would have been offended by the game name 6 months ago. I never even considered it was offensive nor had racial connotations. Maybe I’m just naive.
People just seem to have the idea that with how reactive businesses, institutions, and governments are being in the current climate, now is the time to just request anything to be changed under the guise that it's offensive, even if it's only slightly or only affects a rather small minority of the actual population.
Should we consider renaming "The War Room" board?! :roll:
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I sort of have 2 layers of the reaction after listening a bit to why it was gotten rid of.

The first layer is, look, if it's something that the players associate with slavery or promotion of slavery in some form(IE the South fought in it too), then even if my association is different than that, fine. Getting rid of a hurtful association of something as heinous as slavery for a "nickname" of a game isn't that big of a deal. Of course, I see the Civil War memory as something good for America, where we got rid of slavery, but I understand, ok, maybe they have a different POV.

The second layer is, OK, at what point do we stop with this stuff? Are we going to take down statues of General Grant now? Lincoln has to go too?! Any white person associated with the civil war in a positive way now also has to be cancelled? There is a point where actual history and reality matters more than someone getting offended and where the offense has to be rational. We're getting pretty damn close to that here. Like yes, the Civil war involved slavery, but objectively, it involved getting rid of it. Are we going to cancel WWII monuments next because Nazis were involved in WWII? If the "Civil War" were something I felt were more fundamental to Oregon, then I'd be upset about it.

TL;DR I'm cool with it b/c the phrase "Civil War" isn't that big of a deal to me, but there is a point where we have to live in reality and sometimes people are going to have to be offended and deal with that offense.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I waited for a day or two to reply because I didn’t want To present a knee jerk reaction but I find my conservative “Goan” vote moving steadily toward “anger”. Enough! Change the things that truly offend others in the name of racisms but don’t change things because it could maybe, possibly offend someone........ let them speak if they are offended and let rational minds decide...... it’s a game, not a war or a racist event.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

https://theathletic.com/1896342/2020/06 ... alry-game/

Behind a paywall, but this explains how it got changed.

Honestly I always thought Civil War was a bit if a unoriginal name, and we could have done better. But it was also invented by people who thought Beaver are great mascots.

Garret Strong
“For me it did. The Civil War and what it means to America and the United States is that they were basically fighting for their freedom. And for us to label Oregon versus Oregon State that, I don’t think (it’s appropriate). Behind that name comes lives that are no longer with us as well as a whole change of a country because of that particular war. The gravity of that shouldn’t be taken lightly.”

Tyson Colman and Tyner on their thoughts about the name change.

“Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. It is the Civil War,” former Oregon linebacker Tyson Coleman wrote in a text. “Quote me.”

“Well, I’m right there with Tyson,” texted Thomas Tyner, a running back for both schools. “I think it’s nothing but stupid.”
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

According to 247 via Bleacher Report this started because of a push to Oregon by Dennis Dixon. Uncertain of my thoughts about Dennis....... another 15 minutes?

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Ar ... 148572449/
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I mean in the end I care most about the game so whatever. I’m not gonna boycott the ducks but lately the excessive”political correctness” culture in sports has made it less exciting. I want sports to be an escape from
The craziness, not a reminder. Don’t get me wrong, players should be able to voice their opinions, telling someone like LeBron to shut up and dribble is wrong, but the issue is not that player have their opinions, but rather the silencing of opposing opinions.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I just can't believe a game called the Civil War, is more offensive than the Redskins, or an Eagle that was actually used by the Confederacy War Eagle.