16%
Anger/I'm done with this
18%

Total votes: 82
RanDux
Senior

Re: [Poll] Your Reaction to "Civil War" De-Naming

Post by RanDux »

maxduck wrote:As a white male well past retirement age I really hadn't thought about it. With the political and racial tension today it makes sense not to celebrate division. Bring on the Platypus Trophy game.
I am offended that you would use an image of the poor Platypus species. Oh, wait...
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:https://theathletic.com/1896342/2020/06 ... alry-game/

Behind a paywall, but this explains how it got changed.

Honestly I always thought Civil War was a bit if a unoriginal name, and we could have done better. But it was also invented by people who thought Beaver are great mascots.

Garret Strong
“For me it did. The Civil War and what it means to America and the United States is that they were basically fighting for their freedom. And for us to label Oregon versus Oregon State that, I don’t think (it’s appropriate). Behind that name comes lives that are no longer with us as well as a whole change of a country because of that particular war. The gravity of that shouldn’t be taken lightly.”

Tyson Colman and Tyner on their thoughts about the name change.

“Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. It is the Civil War,” former Oregon linebacker Tyson Coleman wrote in a text. “Quote me.”

“Well, I’m right there with Tyson,” texted Thomas Tyner, a running back for both schools. “I think it’s nothing but stupid.”
Seems the decision caught a lot people off-guard, both former and current players. Plus, the liking/disliking of the decision seems to be breaking along the lines of players who are homegrown with knowledge of the series' history and those who came to the series from out-of-state with less long-term connection to the game.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:https://theathletic.com/1896342/2020/06 ... alry-game/

Behind a paywall, but this explains how it got changed.

Honestly I always thought Civil War was a bit if a unoriginal name, and we could have done better. But it was also invented by people who thought Beaver are great mascots.

Garret Strong
“For me it did. The Civil War and what it means to America and the United States is that they were basically fighting for their freedom. And for us to label Oregon versus Oregon State that, I don’t think (it’s appropriate). Behind that name comes lives that are no longer with us as well as a whole change of a country because of that particular war. The gravity of that shouldn’t be taken lightly.”

Tyson Colman and Tyner on their thoughts about the name change.

“Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. It is the Civil War,” former Oregon linebacker Tyson Coleman wrote in a text. “Quote me.”

“Well, I’m right there with Tyson,” texted Thomas Tyner, a running back for both schools. “I think it’s nothing but stupid.”
Ok, Garret Strong's answer is what has ever so slightly bothered me about the name for decades. "Slightly" in that, I never would have picked it, but I didnt think it was a hill I would die on to remove. Using the name for a sports event for the bloodiest highest stakes event in our nations history seemed to overstate the importance of the game and trivialize the human stakes of the Civil War.

So I wasn't fond of the name, but as someone else mentioned "The Redskins" and "Confederate Battle Flags" would have been multiple times higher on my list. For the former and current Oregon players, using the moment in the location they have influence and leverage I understand. Former and current Duck and Beaver players have zero leverage to go after "The Redskins" name but they obviously did have enough to make this change.

I'm not sure the players are aware but the Civil War name for the game was adopted in the same period of the Oregon's flirtation with the KKK and the national "Lost Cause" glorification campaign of the Confederacy and rewriting of the history books to de-emphasis slavery as the fueling cause of the Civil War.

So I am a sympathetic shrug, who will probably often use the name in the future on this board out of habit.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

USC should rename the Colosseum to something else. Because while the Civil War in America has very redeeming meaning, there's nothing redeeming about the Colosseum in Italy.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Also we should remove guns and violence from video games. Why would we take war and killing people so lightly and making it "entertainment".

Not even trying to be sarcastic at all, but I find that more offensive than the UO-OSU game being called the Civil War.

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Also we should remove guns and violence from video games. Why would we take war and killing people so lightly and making it "entertainment".

Not even trying to be sarcastic at all, but I find that more offensive than the UO-OSU game being called the Civil War.
The world is full of offensive and bad things. Should we not try to do the things we can to make the world a better place within our sphere of influence even if the wrong we are capable of battling is not the greatest wrong on earth.

For instance you have little influence to stop the persecution of the Uyghurs in China, yet as board owner you could strike a blow against political correctness by banning that propagandist GrandpaDuck who is paid $500 Sorosbucks a post to poison the minds of Duck fans.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Also we should remove guns and violence from video games. Why would we take war and killing people so lightly and making it "entertainment".

The world is full of offensive and bad things. Should we not try to do the things we can to make the world a better place within our sphere of influence even if the wrong we are capable of battling is not the greatest wrong on earth.

For instance you have little influence to stop the persecution of the Uyghurs in China, yet as board owner you could strike a blow against political correctness by banning that propagandist GrandpaDuck who is paid $500 Sorosbucks a post to poison the minds of Duck fans.
Yes, we should do our best to make it a better place. Removing civil war and statues for fear of offending people is not the way to do it. We should not be so worried as to offending rather than so willingly relinquishing the freedoms that all people in this country have fought and died for: beginning with the pilgrims departing the tryanny of Britain for the pursuit of religious freedom, all the way to 2020.

America is great because our constitution is specifically designed to provide for freedom and liberty for all. The moment we begin to erode away at that main principle for fear of offending, we have lost site of what was made this a great country.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:

Ha!

I hear ya. But what if the wrong thing to do was taking the name off. Perhaps, that actually brings more bad and wrong to the earth. Are we now coddling to point that is actually hurting our world more?

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

Ha!

I hear ya. But what if the wrong thing to do was taking the name off. Perhaps, that actually brings more bad and wrong to the earth. Are we now coddling to point that is actually hurting our world more?
Well you obviously can have an opinion as to whether its right or wrong, my point is if you thing its wrong but not as wrong as other things than you shouldn't try to do anything about it.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

And now you got people who disagree with the name change basically getting shamed into compliance by others throwing out words like "racist" and "white privilege" to shame people. Amazing how one day the Civil War is fine but now if you continue supporting it, you support systemic racism. Coronavirus lockdowns have made people both dumb and intolerant.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Political correctness has already eroded what has made the country great for some. As a Christian I have certain political views that I no longer can share at work because if I shared them I would get fired. That is not freedom of speech but it is the world we live in at this time with this whole PC crap. I am married to a lovely lady who is not from this country and I wholeheartedly tell her there is a lot of American history that I am not proud of. It is the Civil War that ended slavery. I never once thought that the games between Oregon and Oregon State ever reflected or heightened the true civil war. That is ridiculous to attach that to a name that has been the name for over 100 years.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Political correctness has already eroded what has made the country great for some. As a Christian I have certain political views that I no longer can share at work because if I shared them I would get fired. That is not freedom of speech but it is the world we live in at this time with this whole PC crap. I am married to a lovely lady who is not from this country and I wholeheartedly tell her there is a lot of American history that I am not proud of. It is the Civil War that ended slavery. I never once thought that the games between Oregon and Oregon State ever reflected or heightened the true civil war. That is ridiculous to attach that to a name that has been the name for over 100 years.
Just a quick aside, Freedom of speech via the constitution is that the government and more specifically congress shall make no law prohibiting free speech. It is not an all encompassing freedom of consequence of one's actions or speech.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

pudgejeff wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:Political correctness has already eroded what has made the country great for some. As a Christian I have certain political views that I no longer can share at work because if I shared them I would get fired. That is not freedom of speech but it is the world we live in at this time with this whole PC crap. I am married to a lovely lady who is not from this country and I wholeheartedly tell her there is a lot of American history that I am not proud of. It is the Civil War that ended slavery. I never once thought that the games between Oregon and Oregon State ever reflected or heightened the true civil war. That is ridiculous to attach that to a name that has been the name for over 100 years.
Just a quick aside, Freedom of speech via the constitution is that the government and more specifically congress shall make no law prohibiting free speech. It is not an all encompassing freedom of consequence of one's actions or speech.
That's what the legal right is, but freedom of speech is also a value that many people hold and isn't confined to the Constitutional definition.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Tray Dub wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
That's what the legal right is, but freedom of speech is also a value that many people hold and isn't confined to the Constitutional definition.
LOL. That's what I was about to say.

Additionally, public institutions are the greatest offenders when it comes to free expression of speech on campuses.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

dd10snoop28 wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
LOL. That's what I was about to say.

Additionally, public institutions are the greatest offenders when it comes to free expression of speech on campuses.
Something that has bothered me for quite a while is the complete erosion of common courtesy in our society, especially on our college and University campuses.

TO schedule events and/or speakers for the supposed purpose of presenting a different outlook on the world around us, only to rudely, sometimes viciously, treat those same situations and individuals with such utter lack of respect as we have witnessed over the last few years must have many of our predecessors rolling over in their graves.

I try and have tried to teach, my children and grandchildren the value of open discussion and treating both your peers and opponents with respect, just as my own family, as well as other mentors have taught me.

When my 12 year old grandson starts asking what the heck is wrong with these people, I wonder how he, and others like him will survive in the "brave new world" we are watching.

This is a sad era for our country, and the world we live in.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!