Been a rough week...

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Been a rough week...

Post by woundedknees »

My 44 year old son, a rabid Duck fan and former member of the "Teamwork" recruiting support group while a student at Oregon, passed away on the June 15th, from diabetes related causes.

Coincidentally, his mother and I "celebrated" our 47th wedding anniversary the same day...

He struggled with the disease for more than 20 years. Nate was considered a "brittle" diabetic, which means he was far more susceptible to complications such as neuropathy, or ketoacidosis, which made him a frequent flyer in ERs and ICUs from Eugene to New York, depending on his work requirements.

Nate was diligent in his pursuit of health, employing a high quality insulin pump, and meter to keep better control of his A1-c.

Oddly, in the last month, he achieved the best A1-c he'd had since his original diagnosis... 5.7.

For those of you familiar with this scourge, that is a near incredible number for someone in his situation. It wasn't enough. All those trips to the ER came with a price.

He left here on Mother's Day, after visiting his Mother, sister, and Grams and Pa (who just celebrated their 70th anniversary), heading for Tennessee, to visit his daughters, especially the youngest, an 11 year old Duck fan, following in the family tradition.

She hauled him to every store in the Knoxville area that carried anything Oregon Duck oriented, and he got everything she wished.

That girl was one happy Duck!

There is a point here.

My son listened when we tried to teach him that life is fleeting and we need to grab every opportunity to share that time with those we care for.

He did it with passion and every ounce of his being, right to the finish line.

No regrets.

I wish the same for all of you, my friends. It isn't easy, but it beats the hell out of the alternative!

I know that with our strong family and faith, we will be fine.

We knew this was a highly possible outcome.

It was just a little too soon for my taste.

woundedknees
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UofDuck
Senior

Re: Been a rough week...

Post by UofDuck »

When I read things like this, I wish I had magic words to offer that could help. All I can offer is that my heart goes out to you and your family. Sounds like you raised a very fine son, and that has to be a big refuge for you. Hang in there on this Father’s Day and hold on to those memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Wounded....my heart is wounded for you on this Fathers Day.

I appreciate you always being so open and sharing on this site. I send all my love and prayers to you and your family.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Prayers to you Friend.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Wounded, though I’ve never seen you, I feel like I know you better than hundreds of people I have seen.

This is very sad news. I’m praying for you, my friend. The Lord is good.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I am so sorry,

Some people live to incredibly old age without giving and receiving the amount of love as many young people who go to soon. It sounds to me as your son was was one of the latter.

I know you will grieve immensely for your son as you should. Over the years remember that you continue to experience grief and loss because your son was someone truly worth missing. May you treasure and remember the best of times with him for the remainder of your life.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Love to you and yours, wounded. Thanks for sharing his memory and the lessons it teaches.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Thanks, guys.

You have no idea how much that means, unless you've walked through the fire.

Sure beats being alone!

Just know that we are at complete peace with his passing. A lot of parents don't seem to know their children well enough to recognize what great people they have raised.

I'm one of the lucky ones!

I can honestly state that we left nothing in doubt when he left on that fateful trip.

Take care, and make good use of the gifts you have!

wounded(a little more than usual, but healing)knees.

Call me Jerry.

That's what the rest of my friends do!

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Very sorry to hear that, wounded. Sounds like you raised a hell of a good son, and that's going to live on in his kids.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Even though we have never met, you and your family are certainly in my thoughts. I'll keep Nate's approach to life in mind as I continue on with mine and the next time the Ducks get a big win, I will think of Nate.....a great fan of the Ducks and a legend in the game of life.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

First, prayers and thoughts are with you that our Lord will comfort you during these times. I can’t imagine the pain you’re experiencing, that’s such a horrible thing to go through.

Second, thanks for sharing this post with all of us on this forum. I really appreciate that you took the time to be vulnerable but also share your wisdom from your experiences. This was a wonderful and inspiring post and I thank you for choosing to share it with this forum.

If you ever feel like getting a coffee or lunch with a stranger to express your feelings or need someone to pray for you or your family then please DM me.

God bless you and your family!
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Wounded sorry for your loss. A parent should never have to bury their child. Living life to the fullest is something I have taken to heart this pandemic year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

duckduckgoose wrote:Wounded sorry for your loss. A parent should never have to bury their child. Living life to the fullest is something I have taken to heart this pandemic year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmm... That construction site in your profile pic reminds me of going to ground zero 9/11 Memorial with Nate, while we were in New York on business.

One of his best friends from HS was a broker/attorney with the firm on the impact floor of the first Tower.

We all got lucky that day. Makaela was sent to the New Jersey office in a phone call from her boss, the night before.

Take your blessings where you get them!

Bestfoods
One Star Recruit

Post by Bestfoods »

Jerry,
I'm new here but my heart aches for you nonetheless. I love your confidence in your story however. I think you're a minority in that way unfortunately. I am indeed sad for you, but also take some joy in how you've laid it out. Blessings to you and yours. Now being a father myself for a mere 5 years this truly does resonate more than it would have prior to. Cherish your memories, everyone. God Bless.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Bestfoods wrote:Jerry,
I'm new here but my heart aches for you nonetheless. I love your confidence in your story however. I think you're a minority in that way unfortunately. I am indeed sad for you, but also take some joy in how you've laid it out. Blessings to you and yours. Now being a father myself for a mere 5 years this truly does resonate more than it would have prior to. Cherish your memories, everyone. God Bless.
Man, those were great years!

I began a fairly extended (two generations) youth soccer coaching career around the time my son turned 5. I was able to be his head coach (as well as his younger sister's)or assist, for something like 10 seasons each, then start over with my now 13 and 15 year old grandchildren, at about the same age.

I got my granddaughter onto a team coached by a couple former players of mine (both girls... I coached several coed teams), so I haven't been as involved with her.

Mentoring kids are one of the best things I ever got to do.