Team/League COVID Safety Protocols For 2021

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Team/League COVID Safety Protocols For 2021

Post by pezsez1 »

Hey all,

Let's try this again. To anyone who wants to make this political, feel free to start a new post in the out-of-topic section. The admins will be watching this to make sure it isn't derailed as the original thread was.

I'm simply going to copy/paste the non-political contents of the original thread. Omitting most replies to political comments (including my own) which are no longer relevant. (Leaving in StevensTechU's because his reply is not political, isn't personal, and contains relevant facts about PRC testing which Pac-12 schools used last season.)

Let's focus on the Xs and Os.

Grandpaduck:

For some time I had been thinking this season would be fairly normal. Fans in stands and full schedule of games.

Now I believe we will see a lot of players test positive throughout the season as Delta has a lot better chance of breaking through with vaccinated people and it is really potent against the unvaccinated ones.

Have protocols been established or hinted at for what happens when a team has multiple positive players? I expect we'll see more cases than lasts year, but will the protocol this year be to play on?

StevensTechU:

The new P12 commissioner and the head of football operations (I can't spell the former's name, and I can't remember the name of the latter) said at Pac-12 media days that they would announce protocols in "mid-August."

pezsez1

Thanks for starting this as its own thread!

I think I said this elsewhere, but I'm still confident we'll have fans in the stands. Delta is driving up infections pretty hard right now but there doesn't seem to be any political will at the state or county levels to implement restrictions in response. The focus now seems to be less on restrictions and more on getting people vaccinated. (Such as in CA, where LA is considering vaccine passports for restaurants/gyms/etc. rather than shutting things down.) I feel like if our leadership takes any kind of action, it will be something along those lines... but even that seems unlikely. I highly doubt the state has done any groundwork in creating a vaccine passport system and football starts in one month. I definitely don't see Lane County spearheading that effort.

My bet is players will go through similar protocols as they did last year. Frequent testing can isolate players before they infect too many others, and a high vaccination rate within the team (assuming that's the case) should prevent the kind of massive outbreaks teams dealt with last season.

I definitely expect to see several players miss games because of COVID, but if college protocols mirror NBA protocols then vaccinated players should be able to return to action much sooner than unvaccinated players, so that should help. (Thinking of Chris Paul missing just two games and not two weeks or more.)

StevensTechU

Re: Test kits.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/07/scich ... -pcr-test/

For those who don't want to follow the link- A certain PCR test is being discontinued in favor of a bunch of other, better, alternatives.

"the CDC did not say it was no longer supporting the use of PCR tests in general, many of which have been authorized by the FDA — or that its original PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 can’t tell the difference between coronavirus and influenza — as viral posts spreading online falsely claim."
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Team/League COVID Safety Protocols For 2021

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
And that is clear as mud. It appears the commissioner decides whether a team was at fault and whether it forfeits or not.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Hopefully more comes out like the length of time an asymptomatic vaccinated player who tests positive has to sit out.

I have a theory that there are going to be a boatload of asymp-pos-vax'd once school starts. I suspect Delta runs widely through the entire pop but since vax'd people dont get tested as often and are more likely to be asymp this doesnt show in the gen pop. When testing of all players and coaches starts the asymp-pos-vax'd will shown up in large numbers on the teams.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Assuming this means the entire team and staff has been vaccinated?

https://coronavirus.uoregon.edu/vaccine

"University of Oregon students and employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start of the fall academic term. This public health measure at the UO will help protect our community by reducing the potential for serious illness, hospitalization, or death."

I hope we don't see teams forfeit games this season, but given how contagious the Delta variant is, if a squad isn't all vaccinated it could lead to what we saw last year from teams being unable to play for multiple weeks at a time.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Contact tracing rules will be the deciding factor on things like that.

Guys like Mycah Pittman missed 3 games just for contact tracing. Especially if vaccinated, I don't think we need to implement anything close to that
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ Contact tracing rules will be the deciding factor on things like that.

Guys like Mycah Pittman missed 3 games just for contact tracing. Especially if vaccinated, I don't think we need to implement anything close to that
If they so, there are way too many people not getting vaccinated.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The University (and most others) offer exemptions from the rule. On paper, it's very open-ended, but I'm not sure whether exemptions are actually processed on their merits.

I think I read that maybe a few hundred students applied for exemptions at University of Indiana. If we have a comparable rate, then I think it's safe to assume the vast majority of players would be vaccinated.

I also predict we're going to see a lot more positive tests than many will be expecting... especially considering students will be on campus, bars will be open, players will be going out, etc. But if they're vaccinated then infections shouldn't last as long. Breakthrough infections from Delta also have shorter incubation periods by a few days so that should help, too. There really isn't any reason now for anyone to quarantine for two weeks.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Here is the latest guide lines published 8/1/2021:

https://xs.pac-12.com/2021-08/Updated%2 ... 0FINAL.pdf

Highlights:
--- Vaccinated individuals (players, coaches, staff)
*No Surveillance testing required (they aren't going to look for asymptomatic cases in vax'd people)

*No quarantine required after exposure to an individual with COVID-19 necessary for
asymptomatic individuals.

*Mask must be worn after exposure to an individual with COVID-19 for 14 days or until a
negative PCR test on day 3-5 following exposure

--- Unvaccinated
* Testing and quarantine upon return to campus following non-team related travel.

* Regular surveillance testing, minimum of one molecular PCR test per week (or 3 times a
week antigen testing on non-consecutive days).

* Quarantine for the locally required period of time following high-risk COVID-19 exposure.

* Mask while indoors.

-----------------
Team vaccination rates: Mitigation guidance for teams regarding masking, travel protocols, and
indoor facility use may be modified if 85% of team is vaccinated

Single risk standard: Sport risk of transmission categories eliminated.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

This is published before Delta really blew up so we'll see if it holds up.

These guidelines give a huge incentive for teams to be largely vaccinated. I imagine the coaches all over the league (except wassu) will use their influence to take advantage of them.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Good news, because it makes more probable we will be able to attend games.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Should require everyone to be tested.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OSU will be having similar rules as Oregon.