Charlie Roberts passes away...

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Charlie Roberts passes away...

Post by woundedknees »

Most of you won't recognize the name, but my brother had the distinction of being the tallest basketball player to graduate from and Oregon high school prior to the 1970 season.

He passed away this week following a massive stroke.
CR was 78 years old.

He lead Pleasant Hill High School to 2 state tournament appearances, in 1961 and 62.
The team won it all the second year.

After playing at Willamette University, he began a long coaching career that included stops at multiple Oregon and Washington High Schools, as well as a three year stint in New South Wales, Australia, where he worked as a semi pro player/coach, helping begin the Aussie march to becoming a significant player on the international team.
He was even recruited to change his citezenship, and play for the Australian National team, an offer he turned down.... He told us nothing could make him turn his back on this country.

One of the highlights of his coaching career was for the Portland Trail Blazers, where he was employed to help Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter prep for playoff season, as a "shot Doctor".

He also worked at Camp Conifer, as well as the US Basketball Academy.

He was also an assistant coach on for Northwest Christian College (now Bothel University) during their multiple National Small College National Championship runs.

His greatest impact was in the large number of young players, from all over, whom he helped become better players, but more importantly in his mind, better people.

It's a legacy more people could aspire to live up to.

He made this world a better place.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck07
All-American

Re: Charlie Roberts passes away...

Post by Duck07 »

I'm sorry he passed Wounded but I'm glad your brother lived a full life you look back at fondly!

The Basketball Coach at Pleasant Hill, Darwin Terry, is in his 2nd season and I'm sure he'd love to know any stories you could share as he's done a good job of trying to teach the game and the history to his players and that sounds like quite the basketball journey he went on!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Thanks for writing, WK. Sorry to hear about your family's loss and wish you all the best.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Sounds like he was a great guy. Best wishes to you and your family.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Sorry for your loss W. Sounds like he was great coach!

RIP
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Thank you for sharing that. What a remarkable guy. Sorry for your loss, Wounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Good stuff, Wounded. Sounds like a life well lived. Condolences.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Multiple members of the staff at Pleasant Hill either played for Charlie or knew him well.

I was 10 years younger, and remember many of my classmates wishing he was their coach.

He did actually coach at both Pleasant Hill and Springfield HS for multiple seasons.

His best friend was a HS All American player, Bruce Bradshaw. Bruce was the inspiration for the protective mats on the walls of many basketball arenas. He passed away while playing in a JC basketball game. Bruce was undercut on a break away, and hit the unprotected cinder block wall head first.

Thanks for the thoughts. There is a reason I hang out in places like this... The people!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Thanks for sharing wounded, sorry to hear.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13