Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Post by Alan »

Here is a pretty good link to updates on the virus. If you scroll down the page a little you will find “Coronavirus in Oregon by the numbers”, it gives updated confirmed cases and deaths by county in Oregon. The virus is expected to peak in about two weeks.

https://www.kgw.com/
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OHSU is expecting to lose $250MM out of this due to all the procedures that have been cancelled and preventative medicine basically being shut down. Their employees are being put on notice that some difficult decisions may be necessary. The flip side of that is health insurers are likely making out like bandits right now as the only claims they have to pay are emergencies and COVID-19 cases.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:OHSU is expecting to lose $250MM out of this due to all the procedures that have been cancelled and preventative medicine basically being shut down. Their employees are being put on notice that some difficult decisions may be necessary. The flip side of that is health insurers are likely making out like bandits right now as the only claims they have to pay are emergencies and COVID-19 cases.
While true, actuaries are projecting a flood of pent up procedures following.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UofDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:OHSU is expecting to lose $250MM out of this due to all the procedures that have been cancelled and preventative medicine basically being shut down. Their employees are being put on notice that some difficult decisions may be necessary. The flip side of that is health insurers are likely making out like bandits right now as the only claims they have to pay are emergencies and COVID-19 cases.
A 'flood' could only occur if there was capacity to serve them. Given how much the health care system is already utilized, I don't think a 'flood' is possible.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
UofDuck wrote:
A 'flood' could only occur if there was capacity to serve them. Given how much the health care system is already utilized, I don't think a 'flood' is possible.
Cool, I’ll let my actuaries know there’s nothing to worry about.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

<-- former actuary

Actuaries are great at calculating long-term averages but atrocious at predicting short-run demand. Since you're in the field you should probably know that.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:<-- former actuary

Actuaries are great at calculating long-term averages but atrocious at predicting short-run demand. Since you're in the field you should probably know that.
Off topic, but as a licensed CPA, I must admit, you are bad@ss. From my perspective, actuary exams are way tougher than the CPA exams and has a much lower pass rate for a reason.