ASU fires HC Herm Edwards

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

ASU fires HC Herm Edwards

Post by greenyellow »

Arizona State has finally had enough of the Herm Edwards experience as they've fired him after their 30-21 loss to Eastern Michigan last night.
dthomas=ddixon

Re: ASU fires HC Herm Edwards

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Chumps. Should’ve fire him during the off-season so players could bail. Herm was a dead man walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

He has tons of money so why not retire and play?
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised they made this move now. I'm not sure what the future holds for ASU regarding sanctions, penalties, etc, but what decent coach is going to want to take that job with all that looming and many players transferring out?
John 3:36
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Sparky is not sparking
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

That team is going to have to hit the head coach jackpot of they're going to avoid 5-10 years of horrible football for their impending penalties.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I saw on the news last night that they're hiring a former Chandler High School coach as the interim. I have no idea what the reasoning was behind that?
John 3:36
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Dillingham’s name is being thrown out there. I can’t see ASU’s athletic department being that forward thinking or risk taking, and I doubt Dilly is ready anyways, but you never know.

Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Dillingham’s name is being thrown out there. I can’t see ASU’s athletic department being that forward thinking or risk taking, and I doubt Dilly is ready anyways, but you never know.

That was my first paranoid thought when I heard Herm was gone, that Dilly may be on their radar. Kind of a crazy thought anyway, being only 3 games into his UO tenure. But he may really be that good. We'll see.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Everythingsducky wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Dillingham’s name is being thrown out there. I can’t see ASU’s athletic department being that forward thinking or risk taking, and I doubt Dilly is ready anyways, but you never know.

That was my first paranoid thought when I heard Herm was gone, that Dilly may be on their radar. Kind of a crazy thought anyway, being only 3 games into his UO tenure. But he may really be that good. We'll see.
I think you also need to find someone who has an emotional pull to the program. Any purely logical thinker is going to recognize this is a crappy situation to step into, so I think you have to look for someone who can sort of recruit themselves to the position. Hate to say it, but Dilly might be a good candidate in that regard because of his ties.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:I think you also need to find someone who has an emotional pull to the program. Any purely logical thinker is going to recognize this is a crappy situation to step into, so I think you have to look for someone who can sort of recruit themselves to the position. Hate to say it, but Dilly might be a good candidate in that regard because of his ties.
I tend to think that if you're an up and coming Coordinator that you are better off taking the right job and situation than just going after the 1st offer to come your way and that's a pretty unstable position to step into. I think of someone like Brent Venables who had turned down programs in the past to stay as a DC.

Take the AD situation. He hired Herm largely on the basis that he used to be Herm's agent when he was in the NFL, how long do you think he lasts? Add in a new AD and it doesn't change any sanctions related problems they might face.