CMC

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

CMC

Post by ducks5ever »

I'm not sure why duck fans are so negative towards CMC.

Does everyone just conveniently forget that CMC ultimately put the program in a far better spot than where he found it? Then on top of that, he pushes himself out the door when he pretty much reached his upper limit here.

Yes, obviously he could have been a better gameday coach, Herbert could have been much better here, etc. but like it or not, we didn't have the roster to compete for a championship while he was here. The next best thing is a NY6 bowl and we played in 2, won 1 under him as head coach.

It's not like I'm rooting for Miami but I find the negativity towards him from our fan base to be a bit unwarranted.
betty white
Two Star Recruit

Re: CMC

Post by betty white »

He was boring to watch. Got us crushed twice by Utah. Bolted to Miami first chance had.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think most are just responding to the rather obnoxious Miami fans and media members who said Miami was already back. It wasn't going to be that quick of a turnaround as the program had really fallen in the past decade. They've got some work to do when it comes to building things back up. It feels like they're in the first year of a 2-4 year rebuild.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

ducks5ever wrote:I'm not sure why duck fans are so negative towards CMC.

Does everyone just conveniently forget that CMC ultimately put the program in a far better spot than where he found it? Then on top of that, he pushes himself out the door when he pretty much reached his upper limit here.

Yes, obviously he could have been a better gameday coach, Herbert could have been much better here, etc. but like it or not, we didn't have the roster to compete for a championship while he was here. The next best thing is a NY6 bowl and we played in 2, won 1 under him as head coach.

It's not like I'm rooting for Miami but I find the negativity towards him from our fan base to be a bit unwarranted.

This could have been said differently, and I would agree with most of it. But you really don't understand why fans might feel used and jilted? That seems like the most natural reaction in the world to me after Oregon revived Mario's coaching career and added many millions to his salary only to have him take those millions, steal recruits, lie about leaving, and totally mail it in last season when we all could have used a strong finish and bowl game. Mario used Oregon as a stepping stone for himself, and was clearly not concerned with whatever he left at Oregon. All one need to is contrast with how Dan Lanning finished out the season at Georgia and didn't steal any recruits from there to see how it might have been done. The fact that Oregon has landed on its feet is not a tribute to the guy who tried to steal most of our best recruits (and was successful in a few cases). It's a tribute to how hard Lanning worked to sell Oregon.

I can't speak for people who hero-worshiped Mario while he was here. I was actually afraid Oregon was going to panic and sign him to a long-term, high-dollar deal and then we would have been stuck watching that awful offense for years to come (or not watching in my own case), until finally recruits figured out he was going to waste their talents and stopped coming here. So in that way, he did do us a favor by leaving, and the money Miami had to shell out to steal him helped pay for our current improved coaching staff. So I agree that ultimately it did work out well for Oregon, I just don't agree with framing it like that's how Mario intended it, like he was some Bellotti-like figure taking one for the team to leave the program in a better place. For Mario, it was all about Mario, and he definitely burned some bridges on the way out.

I think rooting against Miami has more to it than Mario hate in any case. I think most people saw the comments from Miami fans about how much better their program was and how inferior Oregon is. I admit to some satisfaction in seeing them slower to recover than Oregon so far. But that's just part of the fun of being a fan.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

ducks5ever wrote:I'm not sure why duck fans are so negative towards CMC.

I honestly don't understand why people think he somehow turned Oregon around. Oregon was in a much better place than what appeared at the end of the Helfrich coaching stint. Clearly he far under performed in Herbert's first year, but the cupboard was far from bare. Taggerts and Cristobals initial years had far more to do with regressing towards the mean, than some strokes of coaching brilliance. :? My two cents....
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Post game comments-

"They coached better than us, they played better than us," Miami coach Mario Cristobal said. "They were better. We didn't do a good enough job. There's no excuse. Real men look in the mirror and do something about it and don't allow any cracks to happen from the inside. We all came here for a purpose and a reason. We've got a lot of work to do."

Sound familiar?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Getting dumped by someone out of your league is one thing. It's another when you're pretty sure you're out of their league and yet you get left. You don't necessarily want them back, but it's sort of humiliating.

Not that this has ever happened to me personally, ahem....

But seriously, that's the phenomena I think you're seeing.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

If you don’t feel any sort of way towards MC then good for you, but the fans being sanctimonious about people who do is far more obnoxious.

Personally, it’s fascinating to watch all the same frustrations with him play out at Miami. When he was here there was always an element of it that you couldn’t quite explain. Was it bad players? Bad assistant coaches? Poor development? Poor in-game playcalling? Bad luck? Etc. Now, with him taking his schtick all the way to Miami, a lot of our hypothesis are being proven right/wrong.

And like others have pointed out, when a guy you were invested in and rooting for burns and uses you in the way he did, it’s makes sense to enjoy, at least a little bit, him getting humbled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Mario the person is a good dude and I don't hold him any ill will. He reached out to Spencer Webb's brother/family after his tragedy and he wasn't pulling a Bobby Petrino while here.

Mario the FB Coach however gets to wear his slime for this one and for not adapting his ways and methods. The agent stuff relating to Miami taking their time firing 1 HC so they can hire another is all part of that slime and frankly having "sports villains" is a bit of good thing for entertainment purposes.

I am however waiting for the Gators to make fun of FSU and UM at some point for going with Oregon HCs. Seems like based on the Mike Norvell trend they'll find their guy AFTER Mario as a result, lol.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I understand those who feel jilted by him. But I also completely understand why he did it. If your alma mater comes calling offering to pay you more than what you currently make, most people would take the offer.

Even though he jilted us, he only did us a favor. Would people be happier if we extended him with a large contract and large buyout, only to have to can him in a year or two from now (with massive fan controversy + massive buyout)? At least you wouldn't feel jilted. The program sure wouldn't make any forward progress though. I'm willing to swallow tough pills if it's ultimately for the better, and it really couldn't have worked out any better. Of course, I say this from hind sight. Dan Lanning might not work out - we may have ended with someone else less capable. But it doesn't change the fact that CMC had a ceiling and that ceiling was definitely below winning the CFP.

Also to be frank, most people who don't have personal connections to the university or the state of Oregon take HC jobs here (and at Oregon State) just to advance their own career. Just my 2 cents, but loyalty in the coaching world is a thing of the past. You sell the horse to the highest bidder. Just look at the coaching carousel last season for further proof.

And CMC's legacy? I think he definitely left the place in a better spot than he found it. He left it with a lot more talent. The prior coach was a snakeoil salesman who left us right before the early signing period and we needed talent. Whoever took the job was going to be the 3rd HC with a 3rd OC/DC for the 3rd consecutive year. The program needed stability and a leader badly and he filled that role. You can argue that someone else could have done something similar, but it doesn't change the idea that he left the place in a better spot than he found it.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

And to be clear, I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind. It was just another one of the million useless fan opinions out there. Was just genuinely curious as to the negativity from our guys directed at him yesterday.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I am grateful for Mario and what he did here, he showed that you can recruit to Oregon and that’s huge for this program. I don’t desire to see him fail like I did for Willie Taggart and Scott Frost. However last year we had a great chance at making the CFP but he clearly mailed it in early which left a really bad taste in my mouth. Yeah Oregon wasn’t going to win but being in the CFP alone is a big deal but instead we were left with two no shows against Utah with plenty of bad games between. Like a previous poster said, if Mario left in similar fashion to Chip or how Lanning left Georgia I don’t think duck fans would be so upset.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I remember reading or watching cmc saying he told oregon recruits that even with him gone, oregon still has everything in place and offers to them everything they need to be successful on and off the field. I thought that was such a honorable thing to say and really respected how he left…..then immediately after he left he immediately starts poaching all his favorite oregon recruits. Looking back he prob even started recruiting before his last game.

Thats is my reason for enjoying miami games nowadays.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I am satisfied with the transition the Ducks football program has made since the Chip Kelly days to now the Lanning era. Although very bumpy good things came out of it. Helf with much help from his long term coaches put the program into a nose dive, enter slick Willy but he brought in a new good coaching staff including MCM. MCM changed the direction of the program to more of a SEC style team, big, power football and as someone mentioned he proved big time talent will come to Oregon. I don’t blame him for going to Miami, I think he did us a favor…. He has a lot to learn about evaluating the talent on his team and utilizing that talent, I won’t get into player development or the lack there of. Enter Dan, young, talented coach with good mentorship in his past…… it is too early to give a complete opinion on Lanning but so far I happy., as far as MCM, if he would have stayed here I think he would be getting a lot of heat from fans and media for how he coaches.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

alxtw wrote:I remember reading or watching cmc saying he told oregon recruits that even with him gone, oregon still has everything in place and offers to them everything they need to be successful on and off the field. I thought that was such a honorable thing to say and really respected how he left…..then immediately after he left he immediately starts poaching all his favorite oregon recruits. Looking back he prob even started recruiting before his last game.

Thats is my reason for enjoying miami games nowadays.
The recruitment of Cyrus Moss definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.