Portland Trail Blazers 2019/20 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2019/20 Thread

Post by Everythingsducky »

Boom wrote:Collins & Whiteside on the floor together is not a winning combination for the offense. Hope to see less of that moving forward.
Blazers are going to need somebody off the bench that can shoot reliably. Not just a scorer, but a spot up dude that can hit the outside shot consistently.Tolliver is not the answer. Never was, never will be. Trent Jr. is terrible. Love Bazemore, but not a consistent shooter. Where will the outside shooting come from? Simons has good potential, but is raw, and again, don’t trust from the outside.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

I was surprised after the game to see that CJ had played 36 minutes, watching it he had little to any impact on the outcome, 5-18 from the field, 0-0 on free throws. The Nuggets were hot from the outside, 50% on 3's, but the Blazers could have defended that better.
Jokic is a marvel. He ended up with 24 minutes, 20 points, 13 rebounds. He is the slowest looking player I can remember, yet he gets anywhere he wants. His 3's are almost always uncontested because if his man goes out to challenge the shot, Jokic will find a teammate at the basket. The Nuggets were the better team in every facet of the game. But it came down to the most basic element, getting the ball in the basket.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Blazers 121 Mavericks 119 The Blazers were down 19 in the second quarter, cut it 12, 71-59 at halftime. With :35.3 left, the Blazers trailed 119-118, Lillard took it to the basket and put it in, 120-119. 26.8 left. Dallas works it around, Doncic fires up a 3, off the rim, Dorian Finny-Smith gets it back, puts it up, Lillard blocks it, foul. But Lillard tells Stotts he got all ball, so Stotts challenges and it comes out in Blazers favor. It ends up a jump ball, between 7'3 Porzingas against Hood. Porzingas gets it, but tips it too hard, Bazemore gets it for the Blazers and is fouled. He makes the first, 121-119. Dallas has 5.5 left, a 3 for the win, no good. CJ leads all scorers with 35.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Nice to pull out the win, but unfortunately Zach Collins dislocated his shoulder.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

SA. 113 POR. 110 "What if?" Is for the losers. What if Lillard's last 3 had gone in like the first 5 the Blazers made to start the game? By now it's clear that there is nothing more meaningless in sports than an early double digit lead in basketball. Blazers up 14 after the first quarter.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Since there hasn't been a post in this thread since October, I thought I would bump it with an update. I know the Blazers are 4-8 on the season, but I am trying to stay positive, so I want this to be a positive post. Last night, the Blazers almost won vs. Toronto in Portland. I mean, they only lost by eight. I know the Raptors don't have Kawhi anymore and their team is cobbled together with guys I have never heard of, but they are still really really good on defense. Just as an example, they somehow held Damian Lillard, who still has $258 million left on his contract over the next 6 years, to 9 points on 2 of 12 shooting. I know that the guy Lillard was guarding, Fred VanVleet, scored 30 on only 16 shots, but I bet Lillard is a better rapper than him, so there's that.

I know some here are worried that the Blazers, despite having the 2nd highest payroll in the entire league, might not be one of the 16 teams out of 32 who make the playoffs this year, but I am still upbeat because I think there will be teams lining up at the trade deadline to get a crack at some of the Blazers' burgeoning talent. Kent Bazemore, for instance, has really shown he is worth every penny of that $19.3 million he makes this year, and I feel certain that Portland will be able to trade him for a post player who can complement the talents of Skal Labissière, Anthony Tolliver, and Pau Gasol. Just looking at salaries, Harrison Barnes, Tristan Thompson and Draymond Green make less than Bazemore, so there's probably a deal there to be made. Work your magic, Olshey.

In closing, I would just like to apologize to everyone for being so pessimistic about this year's team over the summer. It really does seem like the Blazers are oozing with talent and that it's just a matter of time before they assume the driver's seat in the Western Conference. Here's to paying half the team's payroll to Lillard and McCollum for the next 5 years. Go Blazers!
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

They aren't going to be able to overcome the Nurkic and Collins injuries. The Hezonja/Tolliver combo at the 4 is the worst in the league. And CJ has had a nightmare start to the season. Until last night, he was under 30% from long range.

Neither Western Conference Finals teams from last year will make the playoffs.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2019 ... ey-be.html

How about this for a timely headline?

Portland Trail Blazers aren’t concerned about discouraging start to NBA season. Should they be?
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

From woj: Portland is signing Carmelo Anthony, league source tells ESPN. Deal is non-guaranteed.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

2009 me is stooooooooked.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Thurston wrote:2009 me is stooooooooked.
Ha right. At this point, it can't hurt at all. Blazers sit at the bottom of the standings overall and are next to last in scoring and shooting percentages. Melo has to still be better than Anthony Tolliver and with Collins out, we desperately need scoring and spacing from the PF position. Might as well take a shot.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Thurston wrote:2009 me is stooooooooked.
Chris Paul is next!
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.blazersedge.com/2019/11/15/ ... action-fit

NBA Scout States Blazers Melo Signing is not Something ‘To Get Overly Excited About’
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m gonna surprise a friend in Portland with tickets to the Portland-Oklahoma City game on 12/8, anyone know of the best website to buy Blazers tickets?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Pretty sad we have a losing record at home..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13