Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2019/20 Thread

Post by Tray Dub »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

They can't catch a break. They'll need Simons to step up big now.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tray Dub wrote:
Boo, he's such a high percentage shooter for us.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I'll admit I'm not a big Blazers fan, grew up a Spurs fan, but I was at the Oklahoma City game, Portland looked like they mailed it in this season. Maybe they were just dejected after losing Hood, but that team, especially Lillard and Whiteside, seemed to have 0 energy and motivation.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I'll admit I'm not a big Blazers fan, grew up a Spurs fan, but I was at the Oklahoma City game, Portland looked like they mailed it in this season. Maybe they were just dejected after losing Hood, but that team, especially Lillard and Whiteside, seemed to have 0 energy and motivation.
It's a flawed roster.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Boom wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I'll admit I'm not a big Blazers fan, grew up a Spurs fan, but I was at the Oklahoma City game, Portland looked like they mailed it in this season. Maybe they were just dejected after losing Hood, but that team, especially Lillard and Whiteside, seemed to have 0 energy and motivation.
It's a flawed roster.
Without Nurkic, Collins, and Hood, the Blazers just don't have enough talent to withstand a lot of teams out West.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Even with Collins and Hood they were losing. I think Nurk might make a difference, but it doesn't seem very likely that he will come back with any kind of effectiveness this season, or at least not in time to make a difference. This season seems like a write-off. Tank and get the draft pick and get Simons and Little some playing time.

I wonder how Paul Allen's family feels about the luxury tax now.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

greenyellow wrote:
Boom wrote:
It's a flawed roster.
Without Nurkic, Collins, and Hood, the Blazers just don't have enough talent to withstand a lot of teams out West.
They need switchable combo forwards.

Melo is probably the best forward this team has had in the Dame/CJ era and he's washed.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

GSW has revolutionize the NBA with their style of offense and now have invented another new fad, the gap year. Perhaps with all the injuries and poor performance on court this year, Portland should also take a "gap year".
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

With a bad as Portland is despite Carmelo coming in and playing well, would it be a wise strategy for the Blazes to trade Melo to a contender for draft picks?
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Any of these players they can trade for picks they should do it. With as much of the cap as they have invested in two guards who don't play defense, the only way the Blazers will be good over the next five years is if they draft really, really well and have a bunch of guys outperforming their rookie deals.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Phalanx wrote:Any of these players they can trade for picks they should do it. With as much of the cap as they have invested in two guards who don't play defense, the only way the Blazers will be good over the next five years is if they draft really, really well and have a bunch of guys outperforming their rookie deals.
Blazers were good last year and rookie contracts haven't been factor.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

StevensTechU wrote:With a bad as Portland is despite Carmelo coming in and playing well, would it be a wise strategy for the Blazes to trade Melo to a contender for draft picks?
As bad as the Blazers have been they're still just a couple games out of the playoffs.

After December 15th Blazers will be able to trade Bazemore and/or Whiteside's expiring contract.

If they somehow land Kevin Love or Danilo Gallinari then I think it's likely they can still make it.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Boom wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Any of these players they can trade for picks they should do it. With as much of the cap as they have invested in two guards who don't play defense, the only way the Blazers will be good over the next five years is if they draft really, really well and have a bunch of guys outperforming their rookie deals.
Blazers were good last year and rookie contracts haven't been factor.
Blazers were good last year because they were able to add Rodney Hood and Enes Kanter for essentially nothing. They were also not luxury tax repeaters yet. They also weren't paying Lillard and McCollum $80 million/ year yet.

This year is the new normal for the Blazers for the next five years unless they have a series of amazing drafts.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Phalanx wrote:Blazers were good last year because they were able to add Rodney Hood and Enes Kanter for essentially nothing.
Yes, adding those two at the back half of the season gave the Blazers a deep bench. But the teams success was in large part of Dame, CJ, and Nurk having a career year before he was injured.
Phalanx wrote:They were also not luxury tax repeaters yet. They also weren't paying Lillard and McCollum $80 million/ year yet.

This year is the new normal for the Blazers for the next five years unless they have a series of amazing drafts.
They had a similar cap last season. This years team actually has more roster flexibility/potential to make a trade than previous years.