Jeter unanimous to HOF?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Jeter unanimous to HOF?

Post by Merganzer »

This year's class is set to be announced this afternoon and speculation has Jeter following former Yankee, Mariano Rivera, in to the HOF with a clean ballot. I think he will; and in the larger picture this shows just how ridiculous the voting has been.
Willie Mays wasn't unanimous, neither was Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams. How about Hank Aaron; a few voters didn't feel like those players were HOF worthy. Currently, 329 players are in the HOF, and that's too many.
It was great that Edgar Martinez got in last season, but maybe he should have stopped at the Mariners Ring of Honor. His career doesn't match the elite of the 329, 250 or so don't. The voting is a flawed process; there are so many voters that even among the truly elite players, unanimous might be too much to demand for induction. But it should be one shot per player; they don't get better.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Jeter unanimous to HOF?

Post by Duck07 »

Merganzer wrote:This year's class is set to be announced this afternoon and speculation has Jeter following former Yankee, Mariano Rivera, in to the HOF with a clean ballot. I think he will; and in the larger picture this shows just how ridiculous the voting has been.
Willie Mays wasn't unanimous, neither was Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams. How about Hank Aaron; a few voters didn't feel like those players were HOF worthy. Currently, 329 players are in the HOF, and that's too many.
It was great that Edgar Martinez got in last season, but maybe he should have stopped at the Mariners Ring of Honor. His career doesn't match the elite of the 329, 250 or so don't. The voting is a flawed process; there are so many voters that even among the truly elite players, unanimous might be too much to demand for induction. But it should be one shot per player; they don't get better.
Name a better DH than Edgar. The purity test is bs in my eyes or else let's go back to playing baseball like cricket with zero foul lines.

It should also be pretty obvious why Hank Aaron wasn't unanimous due to personal biases of particular voters.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:This year's class is set to be announced this afternoon and speculation has Jeter following former Yankee, Mariano Rivera, in to the HOF with a clean ballot. I think he will; and in the larger picture this shows just how ridiculous the voting has been.
Name a better DH than Edgar. The purity test is bs in my eyes or else let's go back to playing baseball like cricket with zero foul lines.

It should also be pretty obvious why Hank Aaron wasn't unanimous due to personal biases of particular voters.
I said that the unanimous selection would be too restrictive; the example of Hammerin' Hank makes that obvious; Edgar is the best DH. But does that distinction clearly make him an All Time Greatest baseball player? Those are the only players I feel should be in the HOF. I'm not sure where you're going with the purity/cricket; don't see how it applies to the voting for players going for years and years Their stats don't improve from year to year, but eventually some get enough votes.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Merganzer wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

I said that the unanimous selection would be too restrictive; the example of Hammerin' Hank makes that obvious; Edgar is the best DH. But does that distinction clearly make him an All Time Greatest baseball player? Those are the only players I feel should be in the HOF. I'm not sure where you're going with the purity/cricket; don't see how it applies to the voting for players going for years and years Their stats don't improve from year to year, but eventually some get enough votes. Jeter is in, 1 vote short of unanimous. Larry Walker, on his 10th try gets in with 6 votes more than necessary.