Your favorite and least favorite Sports Moments

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Your favorite and least favorite Sports Moments

Post by pezsez1 »

Wow, greatest sports moments? I'll go through 10 but they won't actually be in order... maybe I'll have a clear #1 by the time I'm done thinking about this.

OK... so #4-10 are sorted into unspecified groups, but then I rank 1-3.

#7-10:
- Reggie Miller scores 8 pts in 8.9 seconds to beat the Knicks.
- Seahawks beating Denver in the Super Bowl.
- Ducks beating Florida State in the 2015 Rose Bowl.
- Joey Harrington destroying Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl.

#4-6:
- Joey Harrington catches TD pass in the 2000 Holiday Bowl
* I was in the press box in San Diego when this happened, covering the game for the ODE. Reporters were there from all over the country, and EVERYONE thought Texas would run us out of the building. You could just feel it in the way people were talking about the game beforehand. But then the Ducks got off to an early lead, and when THIS happened? Man, you could just feel the air get sucked out of the press box! It was so quiet, and then I heard one reporter whistle, haha. Cheering/booing/etc isn't allowed in press boxes, so that whistle stuck with me as being pretty funny. It's what everyone was thinking, even though nobody was allowed to say it.

- Seeing Clyde Drexler beat the Milwaukie Bucks In Dec. '94 on an inbound 3ptr with 0.8 on the clock.
* I was at this game! Was probably a freshman in high school and I think I was there with my sister's boyfriend at the time. Blazers were ahead but let the Bucks back into it, and then it was tied with 0.8 left. We were sitting about halfway up almost right behind Mark Bryant. I had a great view of Clyde's shot... so amazing! After that game I got his autograph on a pocket schedule. (And Bill Schonley's too.) I grew up with Clyde's poster on my wall. Such a special moment!

- Brandon Roy's epic comeback against the Dallas Mavericks in the 2011 NBA playoffs.
* This would have probably made my top 3 had I NOT BEEN STUCK IN TRAFFIC FOR THE WHOLE GAME WHILE DRIVING BACK TO SEATTLE! But I listened to the whole thing on the radio in disbelief, and I think I've watched this youtube vid more than any other youtube vid ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YneamUqN1w

AND THE TOP 3:

#3: The 2000 Oregon women's basketball team losing 80-79 to UAB in a major upset, AT HOME, in Round 1 of the NCAA tourney.
* Weird, right? But covering this team was the highlight of my ODE career... absolutely loved this beat. This team was wildly talented but also kind of dysfunctional largely because of a rift between the head coach and players. The Ducks won the Pac-12 and had a clear path to the Final Four with the first round at home and the regionals in Portland. Game 1 was against UAB... Game 2 would have been against Mississippi St., the much "tougher" team. Ducks COMPLETELY overlooked UAB -- even said to my coworker in an interview a few days before the game, "ask me about Mississippi State" -- and when tipoff came, the UAB women were NOT pushovers. Game was an epic dogfight until the end, when the same Oregon player who'd said "ask me about Mississippi State" hit a cold-blooded three to put the Ducks up by 1 with like 10 seconds left... but UAB inbounded, ran the floor and hit the layup... Oregon's Shaquala Williams launched a halfcourt heave at the buzzer that HIT THE RIM. Ducks lose. It was an epic game that perfectly summarized those Ducks -- so good, but so flawed. But man, such a powerful moment. (And, fun fact, I am still friends with Jenny Mowe, who played center on that team.)

#2: WAR OF THE ROSES - 2009 Civil War
* Watched this at Sport in downtown Seattle with a bunch of coworkers who went to OSU. We got completely drunk and talked wild trash. Won't gush about this game because we all remember how excellent it was. If there's one football play I've watched on YouTube more than any other, it's Masoli trucking that Beaver cornerback on that crucial 3rd down late in the 4th. Holy moly!

#1: Dame eliminating OKC!!!!
* The wave, the mob, the meme, Seth Curry staring down the OKC bench... ALL OF IT!!! The Blazers may never win a championship in my lifetime... I missed our only one by one year... but I feel like this series with OKC was about something bigger than the trophy. Westbrook and George basically called out Portland's manhood, and the cold-blooded way in which Dame & co. responded? Oh, man! I will be watching replays of this shot until my dying day. Until. My. Dying. Day. And my last words will be "Lillard Time."
Willie Taggart is a dick.