Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Post by woundedknees »

So, my ex-son-in-law (for good reason) happens to be a beavis. He likes to say that OSewe is better than Oregon in business ed, as well as law school, among other things.

He also considers himself something of a superior being due to his degree.

My oldest granddaughter and only grandson were staying with him temporarily while we recovered from a bout of flu (Confirmed). Once everyone was clear the kids were to return here to their mother's home (She is custodial parent) after that.

Spoke to my grandson to see when he wanted to return, and he said "As soon as the quarantine is over."

I assumed this was in reference to the illness at our house.

No even close.

Apparently, their dad thought it would be a good idea to take our granddaughter to work with him, the other day, in the accounting department at the OSU.

Guess what? At least one of his co-workers, who was there and in close proximity to her, tested positive for Covid 19 the next day!

Guess whose household was under quarantine?

People, please use some common sense in this situation.

It's about protecting everyone around you.

Did I mention how much stupidity aggravates me, lately?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

justducky0 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:The Pac-12 Network is really dropping the ball here. Why aren't we getting a steady stream of Oregon football replays/highlights from the past many years?
The network sucks and it has from its inception.
this is so accurate , its been a failure.

I do like Mike Yam & Yogi Roth I think both those guys are big time talents to be honest.
Yes, they are.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

woundedknees wrote:So, my ex-son-in-law (for good reason) happens to be a beavis. He likes to say that OSewe is better than Oregon in business ed, as well as law school, among other things.

My oldest granddaughter and only grandson were staying with him temporarily while we recovered from a bout of flu (Confirmed). Once everyone was clear the kids were to return here to their mother's home (She is custodial parent) after that.

Spoke to my grandson to see when he wanted to return, and he said "As soon as the quarantine is over."

No even close.

Apparently, their dad thought it would be a good idea to take our granddaughter to work with him, the other day, in the accounting department at the OSU.

Guess what? At least one of his co-workers, who was there and in close proximity to her, tested positive for Covid 19 the next day!

Imagine being a pompous ass because you're affiliated with OSU's business school. lol
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

woundedknees wrote:So, my ex-son-in-law (for good reason) happens to be a beavis. He likes to say that OSewe is better than Oregon in business ed, as well as law school, among other things.

No even close.

What a freakin tool. People like him are ruining this so much.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

:o Future leaders of America, amiright?

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like a couple of Oregon WWII vets, one who's 104 and the other is 95, have survived the coronavirus:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:Looks like a couple of Oregon WWII vets, one who's 104 and the other is 95, have survived the coronavirus:
They are the greatest generation ever for a reason!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I guess it also helps if you're named Bill.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

The University of Washington Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation is predicting a second wave of infection in the fall and winter. Grim outlook, they forecast daily deaths in the thousands within a couple weeks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ed-upward/

Can college sports survive a year without competition or income?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

maxduck wrote:The University of Washington Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation is predicting a second wave of infection in the fall and winter. Grim outlook, they forecast daily deaths in the thousands within a couple weeks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ed-upward/

Can college sports survive a year without competition or income?
Looks like they're trying to avoid another loss in Autzen to me. Jk.

I will say, this is way too early to make any sort of decision about the football season.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Honestly, nobody has any accurate perspective on what this virus will do, long term.

There were multiple epidemics over the course of the twentieth century, including Spanish flu, scarlet fever, diphtheria, whooping cough, and others.

Each was deadly, in it's own way.

My grandfather was quarantined in a converted chicken house, when Dad was 8 or 9 years old, for scarlet fever. His meals were delivered to a designated fence post, and no one got closer than 6' while he was out.

Dad caught diphtheria during WWII, while serving in a field hospital shortly before the end of the war... He caught it while working in a POW ward for captured German soldiers. He was shipped home, and once again, quarantined until the close of the war.

Complications from that, and a child hood whooping cough infection, contributed to his death from heart failure, later in life.

We have no idea what the long term impact will be. I'm sure it will go far beyond any possible impact on sports for some of us.

Stay safe, my friends. Hunker down, and appreciate what you have around you.

duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

Heard a report that the 104 year old also survived the 1919 Spanish flu pandemic .
That's one tough bird.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

duck55 wrote:Heard a report that the 104 year old also survived the 1919 Spanish flu pandemic .
That's one tough bird.
The men who fought in WWII were a hardier breed than a lot of today's young people. Many of them worked in tough, manual jobs spending a majority of their working lives in ways many of us will never experience.

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

One of my grandfathers got here by punching a herd of cattle from Stillwater, OK, to Wyoming, then drove a herd of horses to Oregon, before settling on the bottom of what is now Lookout Point Reservoir.

The other was the sole survivor of a wagon train wiped out by cholera.

It's a wonder I'm here to talk about it!