Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Post by maxduck »

Duck07 wrote:https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/coronavir ... errifying/

This is just another reason to take this seriously for those who are all about that YOLO
From this mornings NY Times it isn't just the elderly at risk.

Now, the largest study to date of children and the virus has found that while most develop mild or moderate symptoms, a small percentage — especially babies and preschoolers — can become seriously ill.

The study, published online in the journal Pediatrics, looked at more than 2,000 ill children across China, where the pandemic began. It provides a clearer portrait of how the youngest patients are affected by the virus, knowledge that experts say can help influence policies like school closures, hospital preparedness and the deployment of an eventual treatment and vaccine.

The researchers analyzed 2,143 cases of children under 18 that were reported to the Chinese Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as of Feb. 8. Just over a third of those cases were confirmed with laboratory testing. The rest were classified as suspected cases based on the child’s symptoms, chest X-rays, blood tests and whether the child had been exposed to people with coronavirus.

About half of the children had mild symptoms, such as fever, fatigue, cough, congestion and possibly nausea or diarrhea. More than a third — about 39 percent — became moderately sick, with additional symptoms including pneumonia or lung problems revealed by CT scan, but with no obvious shortness of breath. About 4 percent had no symptoms at all.

But there were 125 children — nearly 6 percent— who developed very serious illness, and one 14-year-old boy with confirmed coronavirus infection died, said Shilu Tong, the study’s senior author, who is director of the department of clinical epidemiology and biostatistics at Shanghai Children’s Medical Center. Thirteen of those were considered “critical," on the brink of respiratory or organ failure. The others were classified as “severe” because they had dire respiratory problems.

“Effectively, what this tells us is that hospitals should prepare for some pediatric patients because we can’t rule out children altogether,” said Dr. Srinivas Murthy, an associate professor of pediatrics at the University of British Columbia, who was not involved in the study.

More than 60 percent of the 125 children who became severely ill or critically ill were age 5 or younger, the study reported. Forty of those were infants, under 12 months old.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/heal ... e=Homepage
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Looks like human testing of a vaccine has began but still up to a year out for use.
The race for a vaccine for the novel coronavirus, officially termed COVID-19, is on. As the number of cases all over the world continues to rise, pharmaceutical companies and academic institutions are scrambling to create an immunization shot that might halt the spread of the virus.

So yesterday, at 8 a.m., researchers at Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute in Seattle began the first test in humans of an experimental vaccine for the new coronavirus, reports the Associated Press. While just four people were given the shot yesterday, in total 45 participants will receive it during this trial, which is meant to determine its safety, according to The New York Times. Other studies will assess how well it works. Even if all goes well, it’ll likely take a year for the vaccine, which is made by Moderna, Inc., to become available.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

More than 60 percent of the 125 children who became severely ill or critically ill were age 5 or younger, the study reported. Forty of those were infants, under 12 months old.
I haven't said anything about this on this forum, although a few months ago I mentioned how the Pac-12 Championship win was really taking my mind off of some high-pressure personal stuff going on in my life.

Well, that pressure had a happy ending -- I'm going to be a dad!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife is unable to have kids, but a friend volunteered to be our surrogate. I spent the past year working my ass off so we could afford IVF and a donor egg. We only had two good shots at it, and thankfully it worked on the first try. Baby is due in mid/late August.

And now, here we are... I'm extremely fortunate to have a permanent work-from-home job that is highly immune to just about anything the market could throw at us. My wife also contracts for us and is able to stay home as well. Still, though, we have a mountain of concerns awaiting on the horizon. We may need to quarantine ourselves with Baby Pez until either a vaccine is finished or the virus naturally subsides (unlikely). We'll need to turn away friends and family & forgoe the "honeymoon" period that other new parents get. We won't be able to use daycare or a nanny because we won't know where they've been. Just so many unknowns that will apply to us and so many others.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Congratulations, and stay safe.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Congrats man!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

pezsez1 wrote: ....
Well, that pressure had a happy ending -- I'm going to be a dad!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife is unable to have kids, but a friend volunteered to be our surrogate. I spent the past year working my ass off so we could afford IVF and a donor egg. We only had two good shots at it, and thankfully it worked on the first try. Baby is due in mid/late August.

And now, here we are... I'm extremely fortunate to have a permanent work-from-home job that is highly immune to just about anything the market could throw at us. My wife also contracts for us and is able to stay home as well. Still, though, we have a mountain of concerns awaiting on the horizon. We may need to quarantine ourselves with Baby Pez until either a vaccine is finished or the virus naturally subsides (unlikely). We'll need to turn away friends and family & forgoe the "honeymoon" period that other new parents get. We won't be able to use daycare or a nanny because we won't know where they've been. Just so many unknowns that will apply to us and so many others.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Congratulations Pez! My firstborn was born last June, being a dad is the best. Welcome to the club!
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

congrats
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Congrats and you can give them cloth diapers like some of us were so fortunate to get!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Congratulations. Hopefully the virus thing won't be a problem by August. If it still is, we are in for some thin times in this country. I was shocked at how few cars there were on the freeway coming in to work.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

This is encouraging, many areas it takes multiple days to get results.

Scientists from the University of Oxford’s Engineering Science Department and the Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research (OSCAR) have developed a rapid testing technology for the novel corona virus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19). The team, led by Prof Zhanfeng Cui and Prof Wei Huang, have been working to improve test capabilities as the virus spreads internationally.

The new test is much faster and does not need a complicated instrument. Previous viral RNA tests took 1.5 to 2 hours to give a result. The research team has developed a new test, based on a technique which is capable of giving results in just half an hour – over three times faster than the current method.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-03-18-oxf ... y-covid-19
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

maxduck wrote:This is encouraging, many areas it takes multiple days to get results.

Scientists from the University of Oxford’s Engineering Science Department and the Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research (OSCAR) have developed a rapid testing technology for the novel corona virus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19). The team, led by Prof Zhanfeng Cui and Prof Wei Huang, have been working to improve test capabilities as the virus spreads internationally.

The new test is much faster and does not need a complicated instrument. Previous viral RNA tests took 1.5 to 2 hours to give a result. The research team has developed a new test, based on a technique which is capable of giving results in just half an hour – over three times faster than the current method.

I honestly believe we'll have a vaccine by June and it will be given in waves starting with elderly (70+) and the high risk. I know most vaccines take longer but there's gotta be far more work into a vaccine for this than other viruses cause a virus hasn't had this much of an impact in a really long time.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
maxduck wrote:This is encouraging, many areas it takes multiple days to get results.

I honestly believe we'll have a vaccine by June and it will be given in waves starting with elderly (70+) and the high risk. I know most vaccines take longer but there's gotta be far more work into a vaccine for this than other viruses cause a virus hasn't had this much of an impact in a really long time.
Gotta disagree. I'm old enough to remember thilidomide and drug testing became much more intensive worldwide after that disaster. You need extensive trials before inoculating hundred of millions of people.

Thalidomide is a sedative drug discovered at the end of the 50s, which caused a worldwide tragedy. The drug has been prescribed to many pregnant women in order to relieve pregnancy nausea. It was later found that thalidomide caused irreversible damages to the fetus and thousands of children were born with severe congenital malformations. Many of them did not survive more than a few days after they were born.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Congratulations, Pez; amdst the gloom, a bright light to be sure!