Should seniors get another year? Poll

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Give seniors an extra year on scholarship?

Yes, they earned it and it’s the right thing to do.....unfinished business
74%
No, that how the cookie crumbles, they’ll live.
26%

Total votes: 27
Duck07
All-American

Re: Should seniors get another year? Poll

Post by Duck07 »

I think that Winter athletes aren't going to get an exemption because the regular season had pretty much concluded. Spring athletes end up being the ones with the biggest complaint.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Merganzer wrote:
While that's a bummer, I agree. It's the ladies team that I would love to see all back.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
While that's a bummer, I agree. It's the ladies team that I would love to see all back.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Why would only the seniors get another year? Every athlete is missing out on a season.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

It's a 1-2 punch for anyone responsible for an athletics department budget. You lose revenue from all of your spring sports while having very little in costs you can cut. Then on top of it, you're going to be responsible for paying for 20% more scholarships next year. Some schools won't do that, and many can't.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

pudgejeff wrote:Why would only the seniors get another year? Every athlete is missing out on a season.
That's a very good question. This extra year talk was started because everybody felt bad for the basketball teams missing out on "March Madness", and they aren't even covered in this plan. As for who will be covered; why does a senior get an extra year, while the sophomores & juniors don't. The incoming freshmen will also be affected with the seniors staying and increasing the roster size. Of course, with their classwork up in the air many seniors, if not most, will probably be more concerned with graduating on time. Alvarez might come off bad here, but he could be on to something with the financial hit that could be coming.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

StevensTechU wrote:It's a 1-2 punch for anyone responsible for an athletics department budget. You lose revenue from all of your spring sports while having very little in costs you can cut. Then on top of it, you're going to be responsible for paying for 20% more scholarships next year. Some schools won't do that, and many can't.
The only thing that alleviate's that a little is there are very few spring sports scholarships.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pudgejeff wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:It's a 1-2 punch for anyone responsible for an athletics department budget. You lose revenue from all of your spring sports while having very little in costs you can cut. Then on top of it, you're going to be responsible for paying for 20% more scholarships next year. Some schools won't do that, and many can't.
The only thing that alleviate's that a little is there are very few spring sports scholarships.

I'm curious how a school lat is just breaking even, like the Beavs, will manage if we lose the fall sports. Without football, the lower tier power 5 schools will lose millions, and not have any big boosters to bail them out.