Why toilet paper?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Why toilet paper?

Post by Alan »

With this national emergency some people in this county have really disappointed me with the lack of ethics and disregard for respecting others needs. I have plenty of TP on hand and have not even considered stocking up. Like most, if I run out by some small chance I can figure it out..... back up plan, lol. I have been trying to figure out why toilet paper? I can see canned products, foods for the freezer, rice, flour, etc...... why tp? Store shelves in my area have been out for over a week, hand sanitizer I can understand. My local Safeway received two pallets of tp yesterday, I was told there was about 60 people lined up at the door a few hours before they opened a six...it was gone in a half hour! Most stores have started rationing some items......... but if we are truly entering the “zombie apocalypses”....... toilet paper is what you choose to hoard? Huh? Any ideas why TP? Craigslist flags ads as fast as they get posted from profiteers and I hope any profiteers are charged and sentenced. Why TP? Lol
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Re: Why toilet paper?

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Alan wrote:With this national emergency some people in this county have really disappointed me with the lack of ethics and disregard for respecting others needs. I have plenty of TP on hand and have not even considered stocking up. Like most, if I run out by some small chance I can figure it out..... back up plan, lol. I have been trying to figure out why toilet paper? I can see canned products, foods for the freezer, rice, flour, etc...... why tp? Store shelves in my area have been out for over a week, hand sanitizer I can understand. My local Safeway received two pallets of tp yesterday, I was told there was about 60 people lined up at the door a few hours before they opened a six...it was gone in a half hour! Most stores have started rationing some items......... but if we are truly entering the “zombie apocalypses”....... toilet paper is what you choose to hoard? Huh? Any ideas why TP? Craigslist flags ads as fast as they get posted from profiteers and I hope any profiteers are charged and sentenced. Why TP? Lol
Monkey see monkey do.

I was reading a report (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51731422) and its like FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) when you see aisles empty of a product. 50 rolls of TP takes up more space than 50 cans of beans so it is more noticeable and instinct kicks in to think why is this the case. Thus causing panic buying and hoarding for no reason at all.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Monkey see monkey do
That is one of the best answers I have heard yet! Lol
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
Alan wrote:With this national emergency some people in this county have really disappointed me with the lack of ethics and disregard for respecting others needs. I have plenty of TP on hand and have not even considered stocking up. Like most, if I run out by some small chance I can figure it out..... back up plan, lol. I have been trying to figure out why toilet paper? I can see canned products, foods for the freezer, rice, flour, etc...... why tp? Store shelves in my area have been out for over a week, hand sanitizer I can understand. My local Safeway received two pallets of tp yesterday, I was told there was about 60 people lined up at the door a few hours before they opened a six...it was gone in a half hour! Most stores have started rationing some items......... but if we are truly entering the “zombie apocalypses”....... toilet paper is what you choose to hoard? Huh? Any ideas why TP? Craigslist flags ads as fast as they get posted from profiteers and I hope any profiteers are charged and sentenced. Why TP? Lol
Monkey see monkey do.

I was reading a report (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51731422) and its like FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) when you see aisles empty of a product. 50 rolls of TP takes up more space than 50 cans of beans so it is more noticeable and instinct kicks in to think why is this the case. Thus causing panic buying and hoarding for no reason at all.
Exactly, the hoarding really is a problem, and what's sad is for a lot of hoarders half of the food items (mainly produce) that they're buying will go to waste.

I get this is something that needs to be taken seriously, but we're seeing the full effect of fear mongering from the mainstream media. Encourage people to be responsible, wise, safe, and considerate, but don't create a widespread panic. Americans are too mentally weak to handle this.

I've said this before, but I'm worried these actions by the government could lead to a major recession, and with how people are acting now, imagine how the'd act if that was the case. Major violent crimes and war would outbreak, and that'd IMO be more deadly than the coronavirus. I'm not saying leave America open and let people pass it around, just have to find a right balance and I think the government is doing better at that now.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

'Hysteria breeds hysteria' is very real. I have enough TP to last 2 months at home, but when I was at the grocery store I still found myself thinking "Should I get more, given the situation?" (I didn't) If there were widespread reports that there was going to be a shortage of socks, everyone even slightly considering getting socks would suddenly feel compelled to go.

I read a story once about how Petrified Forest National Park down in Arizona put up signs to deter people from taking petrified wood that read something to the tune of "If you take petrified wood out of the national forest, there will be none left." The result was that removal of petrified wood actually INCREASED because people suddenly felt like it was a scarce resource. Did the opposite of what they wanted. Psychology is crazy sometimes.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

I heard the best response on toilet paper at the dog park yesterday. When in a crowd of people and someone sneezes or coughs, seven people sh!t their pants!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

duckduckgoose wrote:I heard the best response on toilet paper at the dog park yesterday. When in a crowd of people and someone sneezes or coughs, seven people sh!t their pants!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Boy, that sig pic reminds me of visiting my son in NYC after 9/11.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

My wife bought a high end power bidet conversion unit a couple of years ago. I told her the wiring would be a chore and stuck it in the attic.

I got it down last weekend, tapped into an underused GFCI circuit I have outside in my eves and punched it through into the bathroom and now have a gfci outlet by the toilet. I am kicking myself for not doing it earlier as it is better than the real bidet we had in our other house in every way. Heated seat, preferred water temp is preset, Motion & intensity control and heated drying. I am thinking of mounting a 36" TV / Monitor to the bathroom door and moving my office in there except my wife keeps calling dibs.

I noticed Amazon is asking $580 for this model right now which is almost double what she paid for it a couple of years ago. So much for putting one in the other bathrooms.

Anyway my normal non hoarded stock of toilet paper should last me for 10 years now.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I was down to my last 7-8 Costco rolls a week ago and had to settle for a couple six-packs of smaller rolls from Winco just to make sure I had some. Those 7-8 Costco ones would easily have lasted me another 2-3 months so I'm likely good for at least 4-6 months now.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

The fact that multiple stores including Costco, Fred Meyer's, Safeway, Rite Aid, Walmart among several others has been forced to put up signs limiting the amounts people purchase is quite sad. My wife is not from here and quite honestly the way Americans are acting about this makes me sad to be an American. People are only thinking of themselves and not the community, the state, or the country. I am confident that if people bought only what they need then would be enough for the community and their would not be the stress or the need to put up signs in the stores.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m seeing more videos of extreme violence over toilet paper. I’m telling you guys, if we hit a Great Depression type situation cause of the extreme reactions from the government, it’ll get far worse and there will be way more damage than the coronavirus ever could’ve caused. People are crazy and can’t handle the fear and mass hysteria the media is causing. I hope we can get through this soon and the economy can recover a bit. I would hate to see what greedy Americans would be like if we were in a legit recession and resources were very limited. The biggest virus in America is the people, and I’m fully away of how dangerous the coronavirus is.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m seeing more videos of extreme violence over toilet paper. I’m telling you guys, if we hit a Great Depression type situation cause of the extreme reactions from the government, it’ll get far worse and there will be way more damage than the coronavirus ever could’ve caused. People are crazy and can’t handle the fear and mass hysteria the media is causing. I hope we can get through this soon and the economy can recover a bit. I would hate to see what greedy Americans would be like if we were in a legit recession and resources were very limited. The biggest virus in America is the people, and I’m fully away of how dangerous the coronavirus is.
I agree and am another one who is very disappointed by some people’s actions during this hysteria of some. I lived and drove during the gas shortage, get gas on odd or even days depending on your license plate, long lines and violence did happen in the lines. The difference was no cell phones or 24/7 media. I see toilet paper on Craigslist by profiteers. I still don’t need toilet paper in my home I have enough for a few months .......... but I will buy a 12 pack when it gets to the shelves, at least the major groceries are limited it to one or two per person.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alan wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m seeing more videos of extreme violence over toilet paper. I’m telling you guys, if we hit a Great Depression type situation cause of the extreme reactions from the government, it’ll get far worse and there will be way more damage than the coronavirus ever could’ve caused. People are crazy and can’t handle the fear and mass hysteria the media is causing. I hope we can get through this soon and the economy can recover a bit. I would hate to see what greedy Americans would be like if we were in a legit recession and resources were very limited. The biggest virus in America is the people, and I’m fully away of how dangerous the coronavirus is.
I agree and am another one who is very disappointed by some people’s actions during this hysteria of some. I lived and drove during the gas shortage, get gas on odd or even days depending on your license plate, long lines and violence did happen in the lines. The difference was no cell phones or 24/7 media. I see toilet paper on Craigslist by profiteers. I still don’t need toilet paper in my home I have enough for a few months .......... but I will buy a 12 pack when it gets to the shelves, at least the major groceries are limited it to one or two per person.
It is disturbing how a lot of people are reacting to this. On TV today a bunch of 20 somethings took a break from their basketball game.... The reporter asked if they've heard about the Coronavirus, social distancing? They responded that they had. But they weren't going to stop their lives because of it. They all felt fine.
So, there are the people for whom this is all just a big drag, some others who will resort to violence to get toilet paper. Hopefully, enough will act responsibly and one day this will be over.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I still think 2/3 of the country is acting reasonably and responsibly. The rest are a problem, but we all knew you can't escape idiots.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Tray Dub wrote:I still think 2/3 of the country is acting reasonably and responsibly. The rest are a problem, but we all knew you can't escape idiots.
And mass/social media magnifying and contributing to the problem x10