Social distancing at games

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: Social distancing at games

Post by nogerO »

StevensTechU wrote:nogerO - let your thoughts be known, but keep your insults ("sheeple") to yourself
Last time I checked I have freedom of speech and the ability to voice my opinion, which is what my post was-my opinion. If that offends anyone, then PM me and tell me why.

Thanks in advance...

by the way, I really enjoy your posts so this is probably not your normal disposition...I'm sorry if I'm not PC in what I said.
I Didn't know sheeple was a political statement, but then I don't pay attention to the "news" anymore. Have a good and safe day.
Last edited by nogerO on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

woundedknees wrote:There are so many interpretations of what is necessary to protect one's self...

The other day, I was in a local market parking lot, when a middle age couple pulled up. The man stayed in the car, with the windows rolled up, wearing a mask and rubber gloves.

The woman, also wearing a mask, went into the store for a gallon of milk.

She was back in about 3 minutes.

As soon as she returned to the vehicle, the guy handed her some disinfectant wipes for her hands, and proceeded to wipe down every surface he could reach in the car, before driving away... He spent more time cleaning, than she did out of the car!

I ran into them again, at the local farm supply store (My only other stop, about 1/4 mile away.).

They went through the same routine, over 6 cans of cat food.

SMH.

Life, as we know it, may never recover.
Wounded,
Without knowing the other people's situation, it's hard to judge them for their personal safety practices.
My wife is also has been in a constant state of Chemo and recovery with 0 white cells as she waits for her 2nd bone marrow transplant. We are both extremely careful and would be even without the Covid-19 rolling around. Our big difference is I won't go to stores for single items. My wife has become a reluctant Amazon shopper.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

FYI, My wife is a three time survivor (Double mastectomy, and lost an eye to ocular melanoma), and my daughter is a recent survivor of thyroid cancer. I understand cautious approach to the public.

My in-laws are 89 and 93 years old. My Dad is going to be 95 next month. We none of them has left their property in a couple months, and my sister, son, and I do almost all their running for them.

Thanks to the cancer neither my wife or daughter can drive for themselves right now.

It's just odd seeing some of the extremes people are going to right now.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

5 Alabama players test positive for COVID-19 upon return to campus.
https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bama ... r-covid-19
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

greenyellow wrote:Well you've got at least 3 Okie State players who've tested positive and at least one attended a protest in Tulsa this weekend. It'll be interesting to see if the number of positive tests increases after all the rallies and protests.
https://www.si.com/college/oklahomastat ... tive-tests

https://www.si.com/college/oklahomastat ... oronavirus
It will. Guaranteed. A lot of people in the US just are not convinced of the severity of this virus. It is a whole different animal than the common cold, in terms of contagiousness and severity. I just don't get how so many people can be so ignorant and impatient.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

I say this in the previous post from the perspective of a 61 year old grocery store worker. I constantly have people crowd right next to me a foot away to get their product, without giving me a chance to move away first, which I willingly and promptly do when I see them or they get my attention if I don't see them. I usually correct them by saying, "Please give me a chance to move away before you move in." Invariably they say, "That's okay," translated "I'm not worried about it." There is no thought about whether the other person is concerned about it. Just today 2 ladies abruptly moved in right next to me and I said something. One of them said sarcastically, "Yeah, right," and the other said, "We're protesters." I replied, "Well I'm not," which is about as far as I can go without losing my job. They didn't get it. There was no thought of how they were potentially affecting the other person. More often then not they are elderly persons, who are more at risk. I get very frustrated with how thoughtless and even self-centered people are during this pandemic.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

RanDux wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Well you've got at least 3 Okie State players who've tested positive and at least one attended a protest in Tulsa this weekend. It'll be interesting to see if the number of positive tests increases after all the rallies and protests.

It will. Guaranteed. A lot of people in the US just are not convinced of the severity of this virus. It is a whole different animal than the common cold, in terms of contagiousness and severity. I just don't get how so many people can be so ignorant and impatient.
I still don't get why people don't wear masks and that there's such a negative view toward people who wear masks. Masks have a positive factor in reducing the cases of covid. Every country that has controlled and greatly reduced the number of new CV cases has a widely accepted mentality of wearing masks for protection and prevention. I'm not sure how financially feasible it is to get masks to everyone, but the govt needs to make sure people have access to sufficient masks, without markup in prices.
Secondly, temperature checks at all entrances to buildings, restaurants, etc. Most large office buildings and malls have infered scanners set up at the enterences.
Lastly, the most obvious is to avoid large crowds in close spaces.
Every country and situation is different, but these few tips have really helped us in Taiwan. We're approaching thirty days of 0 new cases of CV. Hopefully these tips can everyone in the US greatly reduce the virus and recover soon.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

alxtw wrote:
RanDux wrote:

I still don't get why people don't wear masks and that there's such a negative view toward people who wear masks. Masks have a positive factor in reducing the cases of covid. Every country that has controlled and greatly reduced the number of new CV cases has a widely accepted mentality of wearing masks for protection and prevention. I'm not sure how financially feasible it is to get masks to everyone, but the govt needs to make sure people have access to sufficient masks, without markup in prices.
Secondly, temperature checks at all entrances to buildings, restaurants, etc. Most large office buildings and malls have infered scanners set up at the enterences.
Every country and situation is different, but these few tips have really helped us in Taiwan. We're approaching thirty days of 0 new cases of CV. Hopefully these tips can everyone in the US greatly reduce the virus and recover soon.
I think one dynamic in the US, compared to other countries, is that we are a nation full of risk-taking, free spirits. It was the risk-taking, free spirit that immigrated here, and it has been passed down genetically and culturally. It is what has helped make the nation great, but right now it is also what is shooting the nation in the foot. Just my own 2 cents worth for those who never asked. :)
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

RanDux wrote:
alxtw wrote:
RanDux wrote:

I think one dynamic in the US, compared to other countries, is that we are a nation full of risk-taking, free spirits. It was the risk-taking, free spirit that immigrated here, and it has been passed down genetically and culturally. It is what has helped make the nation great, but right now it is also what is shooting the nation in the foot. Just my own 2 cents worth for those who never asked. :)
I'll toss two more cents in. It's not just a free spirit at work, it's also, "Don't tell me what to do." That, with a mask actually being worn to protect others from you, is not going to inspire joining in. Really, those w/o a mask just don't want to wear one. Their mindset is somewhere between, "In the whole world, what possible difference does it make if I don't wear a mask?" to, "I'm not going to let this virus dictate how I live my life".
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Mask suck. It has zero to do with politics, just that it's hot as crap and I can't breath in it.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Mask suck. It has zero to do with politics, just that it's hot as crap and I can't breath in it.
My N95 masks are hard to breathe in and get uncomfortable quickly, but i don't wear them when I am in a populated indoor area that I am concerned with protecting myself as opposed to just protecting others.

The Martha in our social group made a couple hundred 3 layer cloth ones that offer some protection to other people if you are infected, do little to protect yourself, but are comfortable and breathable. These are good for quick in and outs to the UPS store and other places that request you wear masks and are low risk due to distance and minimal time of exposure.

My belabored point is, some masks are a lot more comfortable than others, while the best ones for personal protection usually do suck as you describe.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I am required to wear masks when I am at work. For me the comfort level is not very comfortable. My ears tend to get sore behind them from the straps on the masks rubbing behind them all day. I am not convinced it helps but it is a requirement and I am married now. My wife depends on me to come home as I depend on her to come home. We both are essential workers and where the masks any time we are out in the public. I don't know that either of us believe it is helping or keeping us safe. We continue to do it because we are not medical experts. If they determine they do little or no help against it then we might change and take our chances. Being essential workers we are taking plenty of chances just going to work. On one hand. we get to pay our bills, but on the other it exposes us to more danger than those who get to stay home. I got one small bonus but that does not make the risks worth it. My wife never got a bonus, but we just like everyone else still have bills to pay. We pray everyday for our safety and for protection. I am not sure what the future is going to look like, but I am guessing the wearing of masks is going to stay with us for quite awhile.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I am required to wear masks when I am at work. For me the comfort level is not very comfortable. My ears tend to get sore behind them from the straps on the masks rubbing behind them all day.
They make inexpensive clips that eliminate this problem you described. The clips attach the straps together behind your head, taking the pressure away from your ears. It sounds like it would be worth getting one in your case.