Will there be a football season?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

betty white
Two Star Recruit

Will there be a football season?

Post by betty white »

Starting to think...maybe not. Which is truly depressing.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: Will there be a football season?

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

"Flattening the curve" is definitely the way to go. The downside is, it will make this last way longer. SARS and other viruses seem to not transmit as well during hot summer months, so I'm hoping we see it go away mostly, but who know what happens in fall.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It's far too early for any decisions regarding that. Hopefully this summer people get outdoors so this virus can die, but who knows, the lack of logic that has hit this country due to the excessive panic has lead to a lot of ignorance, so maybe this will last longer than it should.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I would guess yes because it will hopefully abate over the summer, and at a certain point our country has to try returning to normal. This quarantine stuff is smart but it is extremely costly so it can't be a long-term solution. Really uncertain at this point but I would guess yes.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I’m not sure the UK isn’t taking the right approach. Quarantine the high risk and everyone else mingle and get it over with. Time will tell.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

UofDuck wrote:I’m not sure the UK isn’t taking the right approach. Quarantine the high risk and everyone else mingle and get it over with. Time will tell.
This is the path I would have taken. Curious to see how it works out for them. I believe this is the argument many have made with the elderly, not that we simply don't care about them. Rather than quarantine the entire country, let's have the high-risk and those that are frequently around high-risk folks, distance themselves, while having others just play it out. Anywhooo, not trying to side track another thread about these things. I think everything will have cooled down by football season. I don't think it will be eradicated entirely, but the levels will be low enough that most of the country will be operating at a normal capacity.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UofDuck wrote:I’m not sure the UK isn’t taking the right approach. Quarantine the high risk and everyone else mingle and get it over with. Time will tell.
Woah woah woah, that's way too much logical during a time of panic! What are you thinking suggesting something that makes sense?! The problem is people panic easily, and when people panic, they'll be easily controlled.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

The following has over 500 signatures.

As scientists living and working in the UK, we would like to express our concern
about the course of action announced by the Government on 12th March 2020
regarding the Coronavirus outbreak. In particular, we are deeply preoccupied
by the timeline of the proposed plan, which aims at delaying social distancing
measures even further.

The current data about the number of infections in the UK is in line with the
growth curves already observed in other countries, including Italy, Spain, France,
and Germany [1]. The same data suggests that the number of infected will be in
the order of dozens of thousands within a few days.

Under unconstrained growth, this outbreak will affect millions of people in the
next few weeks. This will most probably put the NHS at serious risk of not
being able to cope with the flow of patients needing intensive care, as the number
of ICU beds in the UK is not larger than that available in other neighbouring
countries with a similar population [2]. Going for “herd immunity” at this point
does not seem a viable option, as this will put NHS at an even stronger level of
stress, risking many more lives than necessary.

By putting in place social distancing measures now, the growth can be slowed
down dramatically, and thousands of lives can be spared. We consider the social
distancing measures taken as of today as insufficient, and we believe that additional and more restrictive measures should be taken immediately, as it is already
happening in other countries across the world.
We urge anyone who has sympathy with our views, and access to the government strategy group, to make our concerns more widely known
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Woah woah woah, that's way too much logical during a time of panic! What are you thinking suggesting something that makes sense?! The problem is people panic easily, and when people panic, they'll be easily controlled.
Nothing about that is logical.

The questions really comes down to this: What do you value more, money or life?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Nothing about that is logical.

These extreme actions will impact life more than people think.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
So the answer is that you value money over life. This Virus is what is having the impact on people's livelihoods, not the economic fallout.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
So the answer is that you value money over life. This Virus is what is having the impact on people's livelihoods, not the economic fallout.
Lol that's a big assumption, I'm so tired of people like you overreacting and labeling anyone that disagrees with you as evil, but then again, that's politics isn't it? It's impossible for there to be a difference of opinion and for that person to be logical and have good intentions, no they must be evil and value money over life. I value life, I also know that all life ends here on Earth, and you can't save everyone unfortunately, and if you try to save everyone and stop death you will fail. I believe in social distancing, I believe in a lot of precautions, but I also believe we need leaders who are calm, not rushing into decisions, and aren't spreading panic with the media to cause hoarding and selfishness. We also need to understand that if we allow a major recession to happen over this, possibly another great depression, then crime and wars begin, and that will cause even more death (heck look at how selfish people are now, just imagine how bad it'd be with a great depression). The reactions from President Trump, state governors, the media, and a large part of the population has been excessive and in my honest opinion will cause more death in the long run than the coronavirus ever would.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote: The reactions from President Trump, state governors, the media, and a large part of the population has been excessive and in my honest opinion will cause more death in the long run than the coronavirus ever would.
A lot of us are tired of people like you who continue to act with your head in the sand over this too. China and South Korea went to extreme measures to contain this and we're not. Seattle is already Ground Zero for the US with zero containment done. I understand most people don't get Exponential Growth and want to focus on the smallest projections possible but that's a terrible idea for obvious reasons.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I know nothing of epidemiology, all I can do is hope this blows over. My wishful thinking is that things will be back to normal-ish by May, and summer will be fine. I'm basing this off nothing but wishful thinking. I can't imagine a country being shut down for months and months.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

In USA only, Flu killed over 3,000 people last year at the age of 50 or under. (also in 2010, there were 6,000 deaths in USA for this age group)
Worldwide, Coronavirus has killed 70 people in a couple months at the age of 50 and under.

Isolate elderly. And test/monitor those that work (or visitors) in old folk homes. Deny service to old people if you want, I don't care. My parents and grandparents are staying at home.

Look forward to moving on. Alcohol, unhealthy food, smoking, and many other things kill lives way more regularly and we've never cancelled a single sports event because of that. Ironically, we offer most those at the games lol. People need to realign their perception to all data and not from a micro view, but from a broader perspective.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13