BIG 10 ONLY PLAYING CONFERENCE GAMES

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: BIG 10 ONLY PLAYING CONFERENCE GAMES

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:
My comment about the masks was in response to your "the people asking everyone to plant a perpetual hedge around them even when they aren't around". It isn't about "cooties" it's about contact, and where each is brought to and limiting contact. But again, just reading your statement and adding cooties to the conversation reminded my why I have zero desire to engage in a conversation with you. I didn't argue there should be no travel, I commented on the likely reason they chose to play regional games instead games across the country. At no point did I include that any of that was what I thought they should or shouldn't do. I bid you adieu, as none of this serves any purpose, you are entrenched in your views and logic, reason or evidence won't change that so I'm not gonna try.
So basically, you like to go around saying how selfish everyone is, but when anyone asks you to actually back up or explain that accusation, you throw out a series of red herrings (e.g. your focus on the word 'cooties') and then cite your fatigue in giving reason and evidence that you never gave. That's quite a routine. I'm sorry you didn't find the exchange for satisfying, but hey, at least you got to call everyone selfish and stuff, so the time wasn't totally wasted.

P.S. I see that we have graduated from 15 minutes of mask-wearing to 'limiting' contact. A couple more posts and we'll be in the bubble after all. :lol:
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

RebelDuck wrote:This was a thread about the Big 10 canceling their non-conference football games but got hi-jacked by personal differences. Keep on topic or take it to your personal messaging.

Regarding the traveling, teams can always take private charters to avoid the public and airport terminals.
I think the private charter thing was assumed. The comparison was between buses in Oregon vs. buses in Illinois or Michigan.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

A poster on a Ohio St board commented if every conference cancelled their non-conference games then where would that leave Notre Dame, or the other independents. With that in mind, I can’t see any football happening this Fall.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

RebelDuck wrote:A poster on a Ohio St board commented if every conference cancelled their non-conference games then where would that leave Notre Dame, or the other independents. With that in mind, I can’t see any football happening this Fall.
ND will be playing with ACC teams.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Tobacco kills more than 8 million people each year. More than 7 million of those deaths are the result of direct tobacco use while around 1.2 million are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke.

But no one cares. Selective caring.
The smokers are free to choose their behavior but they are not free to smoke anywhere they wish. As for second hand smoke most progressive organizations take steps to limit exposure. That isn't selective caring but common sense. Sort of like wearing a mask and social distancing.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

RebelDuck wrote:A poster on a Ohio St board commented if every conference cancelled their non-conference games then where would that leave Notre Dame, or the other independents. With that in mind, I can’t see any football happening this Fall.
Football in spring is starting like the most likely scenario.

maxduck pm'd you

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:
RebelDuck wrote:This was a thread about the Big 10 canceling their non-conference football games but got hi-jacked by personal differences. Keep on topic or take it to your personal messaging.

Regarding the traveling, teams can always take private charters to avoid the public and airport terminals.
I think the private charter thing was assumed. The comparison was between buses in Oregon vs. buses in Illinois or Michigan.
We can clean our buses here if that means getting ohio state to play us still!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pudgejeff wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Ohio State would be safer traveling to Eugene than to Illinois.... Doesn't really make sense.

Less contact is safer than more contact.

I wonder if they'll reschedule.
Oregon has 0 deaths under the age of 55 due to covid. Thousands of other things are more dangerous for that age group. Again Illinois is a mess.
Types of travel. I assume it will be bus only, which removes all sorts of extra contact and allows the school more control to attempt to protect the students.

And I'm so tired of that dumb argument, the people being infected aren't the only ones being put at risk. Everyone else they come in to contact is as well. So selfish, it just blows my mind.
You know what’s selfish? Privileged people expecting everyone to cancel their lives to keep those privileged people safe from their fears. I get wearing a mask and things like that, and maybe you’re not a part of the group calling for everything to be cancelled, but it takes a very narrow mindset to call people selfish cause they want things to open up. How about kids who face abuse and neglect at home? Schools are their outlet, where they get counseling and have a safe place to report what’s going on at home. How about the people living out of their vans/cars with their kids cause they lost their places after losing their job? See to a lot of people they don’t matter, all that matters is their excessive fear of the coronavirus. Yes the virus is serious, but so is life. We all have the risk of dying everyday, to be so controlled by the fear of one possible means of death when there’s thousands is just plain silly.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Biggus Duckus wrote:Are you saying you want schools to open up as well as football games? Because it sounds like you're saying you want schools to open up as well as football games.

Just wanted to clarify before I call you a fucking idiot.
Schools are to me the top priority for opening up. My wife works with kids, we see how rough a lot of kids have it and places like schools and Churches is a safe place for them. There’s a lot more child abuse and neglect than people realize, especially in Lane County.

Regarding football, that’s like bottom of the priority list. I’m ok with changes being made this season to be safe. Selfishly I’d like there to be a world where football could be played safely, but I’m aware that may not happen, but I do believe there is a way to go about it safely and let the players decide for themselves after being properly educated regarding Covid-19 and the dangers it brings.

But to answer your question, I truly want and believe schools should be open this fall with safety guidelines (such as clear masks or shields required as well as no physical contact) and I just want an ideal world will football can happen. Does that make sense? I’m aware the two are nowhere near comparable.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Biggus Duckus wrote:Are you saying you want schools to open up as well as football games? Because it sounds like you're saying you want schools to open up as well as football games.

Schools are to me the top priority for opening up. My wife works with kids, we see how rough a lot of kids have it and places like schools and Churches is a safe place for them. There’s a lot more child abuse and neglect than people realize, especially in Lane County.

Regarding football, that’s like bottom of the priority list. I’m ok with changes being made this season to be safe. Selfishly I’d like there to be a world where football could be played safely, but I’m aware that may not happen, but I do believe there is a way to go about it safely and let the players decide for themselves after being properly educated regarding Covid-19 and the dangers it brings.

But to answer your question, I truly want and believe schools should be open this fall with safety guidelines (such as clear masks or shields required as well as no physical contact) and I just want an ideal world will football can happen. Does that make sense? I’m aware the two are nowhere near comparable.
Just wanna quick clarify, I would assume everyone wants schools to be able to open this fall. So when consuming data and hearing arguments for and against them opening, I would hope your taking all of that in from the understanding the people making either argument is coming from placing of wanting it to be at thing.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

Just wanna quick clarify, I would assume everyone wants schools to be able to open this fall. So when consuming data and hearing arguments for and against them opening, I would hope your taking all of that in from the understanding the people making either argument is coming from placing of wanting it to be at thing.
We’ll sure everyone wants an ideal world where schools can open safely like normal, but I’ve seen so many people calling Trump selfish for wanting schools to open this fall along with his followers. There are a lot more factors than Covid-19 to be weighed when deciding what to do with schools. But I’ve also seen people who live at home comfortably calling for the country to shut down more and for everyone to stay home. My personal belief are those consumed by politics on both sides are selfish while those who can think independently of political affiliations can look at this with a more compassionate view.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

We’ll sure everyone wants an ideal world where schools can open safely like normal, but I’ve seen so many people calling Trump selfish for wanting schools to open this fall along with his followers. There are a lot more factors than Covid-19 to be weighed when deciding what to do with schools. But I’ve also seen people who live at home comfortably calling for the country to shut down more and for everyone to stay home. My personal belief are those consumed by politics on both sides are selfish while those who can think independently of political affiliations can look at this with a more compassionate view.
So are you saying you are okay with them opening unsafely? I'm actually asking and don't want to make an assumption or take the statement out of context if that's not what you were meaning.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

So are you saying you are okay with them opening unsafely? I'm actually asking and don't want to make an assumption or take the statement out of context if that's not what you were meaning.
Honestly for pretty much schools only, I’d prefer opening up schools unsafely rather than keeping them completely closed, because child abuse and neglect is a bigger issue to me personally. However I want them to open safely. Just so ideas are clear masks/shields and no physical contact allowed and there are plenty of other ways to make it safely.

If this helps, I’m 100% pro mask, I’ve been wearing a mask every time I go out (except work cause I isolate myself in my office) since early April.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

Honestly for pretty much schools only, I’d prefer opening up schools unsafely rather than keeping them completely closed, because child abuse and neglect is a bigger issue to me personally. However I want them to open safely. Just so ideas are clear masks/shields and no physical contact allowed and there are plenty of other ways to make it safely.

If this helps, I’m 100% pro mask, I’ve been wearing a mask every time I go out (except work cause I isolate myself in my office) since early April.
So when it comes to child abuse/neglect, I too have a closer understanding to that as you do. My mom has been a 2nd grade teacher for almost 30 years now, and for the last 12 at a very high risk school. Watching her deal with what was going on even for this small part of the end of the school year for her kids, and just seeing the devastation it brought on her was awful. So I fully agree, that school is beyond important for the kids.

But it has to be done safely, and masks/shields sounds great, and so does no contact. And for High school kids, and probably middle school kids you could get some decent buy in. But elementary the teachers won't be teaching, it will be just spent attempting to get them to abide. To be fair, that may be better than them being at home, especially with some of the things I saw going on.

The biggest issues to me is when it comes to who all your asking to try and stay safe to allow the kids to continue to stay in school. The parents can't be giving it to their kids cause that puts all the other kids at risk, same with teachers. Also includes kids outside of school. Now you have the parents that have jobs they go into, they are at a higher risk of exposure due to their kid(s) being around other kids, which then puts the workplace at a higher risk of exposure. It goes on and on from there.

I'm not saying this means we don't open schools back up. I'm saying there is a lot more to look at. I know it's a lot, this is all a lot and sometimes when things don't seem tenable it sometimes seems easier to just "deal" with it. And to some to degree it's true, but with the best precautions we can. Like wearing masks, and social distancing, they aren't made to keep things close, they are done to get things open and keep them open. Getting people back to work and back to life. If that means a parent not going to a bar or to get their haircut or whatever normal thing they want to do so their kid can get back to school then you'd think they'd be jumping at the chance. I don't have any kids, but if those are the things asked of me so others children can go back to school then sign me up.
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

If anyone thinks this is going to go away before most everyone gets it is insane. This needs to run it's course, plain and simple.

/hote on
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"